Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:30:52 AM EDT
I'm considering these and need to know from actual users how these hold up.   I'm putting these on a 16" FT upper.  I only intend to mount a VG and light to these.  No optics will be mounted.   I've got a flat top upper for mounting future optics too.

How solid are the YHM?

Do they provide a secure and solid mount for a VG?

Ameetec Arms also has a set from MI, anyone tried these out yet?

any help is appreciated.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Theyre solid, would work perfect IF you do not need the FF and if you are on a budget.

The MI ones are great as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Theyre solid, would work perfect IF you do not need the FF and if you are on a budget.

What he said.  I have a TD VFG on mine, and it is NOT moving.  I couldn't get the thing to wiggle if I wanted it to.

If you don't want to spend $300 and up, I think the YHM handguards are great.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#3]
MidWest Industries Quad-Rail Two Piece HG vs. YHM Quad-Rail Two Piece HG

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
My YHM handguards have got some play in them. Nothing too bad but I would never mount optics on them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just installed a 2 piece set on my 16" HBAR.
I am pleasantly suprised at how tight they are....very tight.
They are rock solid.
Need some more field testing before the final judgement though......

With ladder rail covers:
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

img261.imageshack.us/img261/8342/tyleetalentshow035resize9jy.jpg

HS1

Which one was  the survivor?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

HS1

Which one was  the survivor?

I believe it looks like MidWest Industries ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are rock solid.

pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/7390423/106432806.jpg

With ladder rail covers:
pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/7400197/107332157.jpg

I should add that mine were rock solid at first as well. It took a few months for the wiggle to develope.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

HS1

You can sort of tell us a little bit more?  I just noticed the MI rails at Bravo Company... why do you think they are better than the YHM?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are rock solid.

pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/7390423/106432806.jpg

With ladder rail covers:
pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/7400197/107332157.jpg

I should add that mine were rock solid at first as well. It took a few months for the wiggle to develope.

I was always worried about that because you have a plastic rear wrapped around the steel barrel nut.  Something's got to give, especially if you use a FVG alot.  YHM are good, but I'd prefer something that has steel or at least aluminum back there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
My YHM HG rails weren't Mil-Spec therefore my TDVG required using my Dremel to make it fit.

YHM had some problems with out-of-spec rails. They have since resolved the issue.

The MI HG is tighter, has a better, darker finish and has RAS #'s to facilitate precise re-attchment of accessories.

The MI HG just felt better once mounted so I decided to sell the YHM HG in the EE.

Mostly just personal preference is why I like the MI HG better than the YHM unit.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My YHM HG rails weren't Mil-Spec therefore my TDVG required using my Dremel to make it fit.

YHM had some problems with out-of-spec rails. They have since resolved the issue.

The MI HG is tighter, has a better, darker finish and has RAS #'s to facilitate precise re-attchment of accessories.

The MI HG just felt better once mounted so I decided to sell the YHM HG in the EE.

Mostly just personal preference is why I like the MI HG better than the YHM unit.

HS1

How do they compare as far as weight?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
MY YHM bottom rail has a slight wiggle to it. I have a TDVG attached. I noticed that the MI rails look like clones to the Knights rail systems. Thinking of tryin' the MI's out in the future.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]
No problems w/ my YHM guards.  I did have to do a little light sanding on the TD VFG to get it on, but nothing to major.  For the money, you can't go wrong w/ these.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

HS1

Can we get an idea of what testing you did, and how you broke or damaged the other unit?  This would be the first time I've heard of one being mangled.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had them both.

Here's the survivor.

HS1

Can we get an idea of what testing you did, and how you broke or damaged the other unit?  This would be the first time I've heard of one being mangled.

One of the rail edges broke while firing prone. I can only guess that the TDVG applied excessive torque on the bottom rail.

The more I used it, the more loose it got. It had a slight wobble when it was new, but after a few thousand rounds the wobble became more noticeable. The allen head screws which held it together started to back out. Loctite cured that problem.

Once I decided to buy the MI HG and spent some time with it at the range it just felt sturdier and cooled better than the YHM HG. The YHM unit is slightly lighter by an ounce (24 grams to be exact).

The YHM HG rails have a smaller profile ie less aluminum per rail piece. That might have been why the rail broke off. The MI HG has a larger, chunkier rail profile than the YHM HG.

They are both good HGs for non-FF, but the MI HG impressed me more in initial quality and ability to sustain more abuse. Not that either unit saw combat.

It's hard to believe that KAC charges significantly more $ for what is basically an excellent copy.

You won't be dissapointed with YHM or MI, I just prefer the MI HG much more.

HS1

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top