Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 2:10:30 PM EDT
With railed forends costing so much, is there any reason why I should not go with Yankee Hill Machines forend for around $120 instead of the others for around $250-$300?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For a carbine? Yeah.

You can get one for under $90.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah......the prices above reflected retail.  But is paying the extra money for the others worth it and if so why?  When I say others I mean like Knights Armament, etc.

And yes I have seen YHM for around $90 for the carbine version.  If you have a good source for YHM items please let me know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Daniel defense is lighter and more compact, Larue also I believe, most of the others are in the same ballpark as the YHM, or heavier. All the reviews I've seen seem pretty positive. I'm thinking about getting a couple myself.

Hopefully somebody who owns several different models will chime in, I'm curious myself why the more expensive ones are still selling so well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had every type of FF rail system so far, except for LaRue, Troy MRF (on the way, though) and Knight's URX (until it recently became available, it was almost unheard of to see one).  Let's see, I've had a YHM, Vulcan, Oly FIRSH, KAC, DD, PRI, POF-USA, Bushmaster B.M.A.S. - same as YHM, RRA - same as YHM and an ARMS SIR (never installed, only owned one and sold it so I won't comment on the application side of it).

Of the inexpensive ones, which would be YHM, Oly FIRSH and Vulcan, my choice would be the Oly FIRSH with YHM a close second.  I think the Oly FIRSH installs alot easier and felt more stable to me.  Both of the systems will require the FSB to be removed, so that aspect of the systems is a wash.  

I had a YHM rail system twist loose on a pretty decent "hit" and I won't own another one again.  No matter how tight I made the locknut, even with some Loctite, it still came loose.  I'm thinking the Oly FIRSH might do the same, since it is also only held indexed by friction, but mine never did, but it never took the same shock that my YHM rail system did.

The YHM system would be perfect for a casual shooter who is on a budget and wants some rail estate (haha, get it, rail estate) for mounting accessories on.  More rigorous shooters may want to consider something with a positive locking system for the rail, like LaRue, which also has a locking system for the rail nut - the best of both worlds.  Positive index lock and positive rail nut lock.  That will be my next rail system purchase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I would agree with you Mongo001 that even by looking at the free float versions that the more expensive ones have what appears as a better barrel nut that the tube locks down on to.

I was steering towards getting the "carbine" style (two piece).
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you have a good source for YHM items please let me know.

Thanks

BrightFlashlights here on AR15.com (see his area in the Industry section).
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Well this gives me an excuse to try out my new photohosting site! Here is my M4gery in it's new "no-ban" config, sporting a YHM 4 rail HG.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my two piece hand rail, looks cool not too heavy, and affordable, if I was going for a FF I would pay for a good one over the YHM one, but since I can't install a FF on this rifle I like it, I had some trouble getting my tango down vertical hand grip though, I filled it down with a file till it fit so I think their rails are not mil spec but other than that I like mine
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a YHM 2 piece, and my TD grip slid on without much effort at all. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the bottom piece rocks side to side when any pressure is applied to the grip laterally. It isn't much, but it is noticable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I did a brief review on some HG at www.ar15reviews.com.

I liked the YHM two piece that I sold my RAS II and kept the 2 piece.  No probs so far.  Outfitted some local LEO with them as well and they are happy with them as well. HTH

And BF is GTG for dealings as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top