Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 1:55:56 PM EDT
I am about to swap a Pre-Ban AR for a SAR-1 (I know I'm crazy but I have four) out of state with a private citizen (NY). My question is do we have to go thru that whole FFL, NIC check blah blah blah transfer thing? I know we can't mail them directly to each other. He said all I have to do is send it to his dealer? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:01:05 PM EDT

Well thats what you are doing... You send yours to his dealer, and he sends his to your dealer.

You both pay the fee (if there is one, usually $25), fill out the yellow sheet (4473), get cleared, then voila walk away with the rifle.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:03:09 PM EDT
YUP...You need an FFL to recieve and transfer EACH rifle in each state. Depending on local laws you may also need to send them from an FFL too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:03:53 PM EDT
You should have his dealer send you a file copy of his FFL (for your saftey) make sure it is valid (not out of date and a type 01 dealer). Then send it to the address on the FFL . He will also have to do the same thing sending his firearm to you. Most likey you have to pay a transfer fee and fill out whatever paper work is applicaple in your state for you pick up your trade. Any questions feel free to contact me
I have a type 1 FFL.


Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:32:45 PM EDT
Well that was too easy. Thanks for those who responded.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:26:56 PM EDT
Make positivly sure that his dealer will accept from a non-FFL (you). Make sure you's will accept from him. I ran into this on adeal similar to yours and it made for quite a headache.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:36:22 PM EDT
USP4u Good point! Thanks, I will make that part of my conversation with the dealer on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:34:11 AM EDT

Most of them time, the dealer will accept it but only if you put a photo copy of your drivers license in with it. That way, when they log it in, they have someone/some place to trace the firearm back to. Not a big deal.

Top Top