Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
I am thinking either a PentagonLight MS2 Xenon or LED variant. Anyone have any experience with these, or have any pros/cons of the different lights?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:16:04 AM EDT
Get both
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:24:00 AM EDT
Xenon will give you a solid white beam...brightest available.

LED will give you more of a diffused light, kind of like a flourescent light. Good for working on stuff, but sucks for a weapon light.

Xenon will eat batteries, which BTW are expensive.

LED will run forever, very low power draw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dvr9:
Xenon will give you a solid white beam...brightest available.

LED will give you more of a diffused light, kind of like a flourescent light. Good for working on stuff, but sucks for a weapon light.

Xenon will eat batteries, which BTW are expensive.

LED will run forever, very low power draw.

What he said. I will add, you can get 3v 123A batteries for as little as $1 each if you know where to look. MJD
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT
I take it you must use lith batts for both LED and Xenon? In the service we used duracell.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:33:38 AM EDT
Some lights use AA, most use lithium.

Lithium provides 100% power and fades briefly and dies quick.

Regular batteries start strong and fade continuously until dead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:48 AM EDT
The new 3W LED's will rival the Xenon bulbs. And the DO make a good weapon's light.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:36:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:
The new 3W LED's will rival the Xenon bulbs. And the DO make a good weapon's light.

I agree. Depending on the purpose, I prefer my Gladius for indoor use. It uses an LED and it is definitely more applicable to serious tactical purposes than a navigation light (although it provides this feature as well). This LED light blows away all other xenon products I've use in the same applications. Yes, you can buy some xenon light with as much as 225-500 lumens, which an LED is not yet able to rival in output, but those lights are too bright in most indoor applications due to relected light off of walls and other objects. The Gladius is the best, in my un-biased opinion, for indoor use. For outdoor use it is another story. While I have had suprising results with the Gladius outdoors, I still prefer a Surefire M3 with an MN11 high output 225 lumen exnon bulb. I would rather have the option of an M4, but the bulk of the unit is to much to travel with me all day long for my application. Keep watching the Night Ops product line in the future. I would bet there is some amazing LED products on the drawing board that will bridge the gap and turn some heads.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:19:29 PM EDT
My $0.02

I have a couple 6V Xeons for both handhled and weapon lights.

I recently purchased a 5V Pentagon S2 with 19 white 5mm LEDs.

My thoughts:

Battery / color / etc - everyone has stated that before.

Real world:

A powerful LED is probably the best indoor weapon light because of the coverage area - it really does a great job of blanketing the entire room with light - much better than a xenon.

Outdoors - different story:

Any substantial backlighting creates major difficulties illuminating an object that may be as close as 10 yrds.

The Pentagon S2 will not penitrate shadow - for example - while looking at a front end loader that was only 20 yrds away with ambient lighting via street lights (not closer than 50 yrds to the FE Loader), what I could see: great job of providing light to the cab area, front of the bucket and even toward the back of the tractor (parked at an angle to me). What I could not see - the shadow underneath the tractor or in the shadow between the bucket and the front tires.

Max range for detail is only about 50 yrds under 'good' conditions.

In short:

LEDs are IMHO the best for interior work, best for general purpose - ( a non tac carry flash light); but are not the thing to have outdoors when it counts.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:31:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 3:32:32 AM EDT by DevL]
You cant compare 19 5mm LEDs to a 3W LED. The Gladius smokes ALL the popular 6V incan bulb type flashlights in the throw department. Apples and Oranges man.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:29 AM EDT
Im not much into flashlights, but do have a small Xenon 90 lumens flashlight.

Also a few assorted flashlights for general use.

TG
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:04:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 2:09:36 PM EDT by sniper350]
The answer is simple -- The LED is the wave of the future......... you can jump on board now.....or you can hold onto those old VHS tapes and wait until the LED and DVD's are the only products being produced.

"Runtime[ Battery Life] VS Light output" is the major concern when building an accceptable Tactical Light. The LED format has the best ratios available when it comes to producing "effective" light output at acceptable runtimes. My Inova T-3 will pump out a blinding 85 lumens for a 2 hour NON-DIMMING runtime --which is the minimum "on" time I will consider for a TAC light.

Not for $200 or $400 either............ the T-3 cost me $49.95 and is warranted for life made in the USA!
Cheaply made you might think -- but the MINERAL CRYSTAL front lens can not be matched by other flashlight makers that use "plastic" or "Glass". The front lens is also AR Coated.......but I am getting off topic.

As progress is made into the "high Power" L.E.D market. ........... light output into the hundreds of lumens are just around the corner. The Inova T-5 will now produce 100 Lumens for a 3- HOUR RUNTIME which is non-dimming !! This light uses just 3 - 123A Lithium batteries.

I threw my bulbed flashlights into the drawer along with my 8-track cassette tapes -smile- I will never have to replace a flashlight bulb again.........because all of my lights are high power L.E.D.'s

JF.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:59 PM EDT
led inside, xenon outside, the future of led is not here yet
Top Top