Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 2:07:29 PM EDT
Just got my XM855 from SG. As I expected this stuff looks like XM855PD (even though their sit just says M855).  Anyway, what is the purpose of the green tips?  I've been wondring about that for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just got my XM855 from SG. As I expected this stuff looks like XM855PD (even though their sit just says M855).  Anyway, what is the purpose of the green tips?  I've been wondring about that for awhile.

Usually the green tip means it's AP. Check out the Ammo Oracle at the top of the ammo forum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that last week. Just couldn't remember all of it. Great info. I thought that might be what it meant.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the green tip just indicated that it shouldn't be used in the older rifles with 1/14 and 1/12 twist rates (can't be stabalized)??
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought the green tip just indicated that it shouldn't be used in the older rifles with 1/14 and 1/12 twist rates (can't be stabalized)??

Most countries mark M855 / SS109 ammo with the green tip to differentiate it from M193. Like stated here, the old M16's had a 1/12 twist rate barrel that would shoot M193 well, but will not stabalize the new stuff.

You can check out the ammo oracle for more detailed information.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
correct. the green tip DOES NOT mean its AP, nit simply deferentiates it from M193 in inventories. foriegn SS109 has no green paint.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top