BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT
Are these ok to shoot?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
For fun, yes.   For serious defense work, I'd stay away from them.  Those don't look like oil dents, but more like dents from abuse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody else posted about having some rough looking XM193 with dents but I can't find the thread.  I plan on burning them at the range, so no danger of overpressure?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They won't be over pressure due to those small dents.

If you have any issues at all, it will be a chambering problem. The dents may have made the cases slightly out of round, and they may be a tight fit in the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They won't be over pressure due to those small dents.

If you have any issues at all, it will be a chambering problem. The dents may have made the cases slightly out of round, and they may be a tight fit in the chamber.

Thanks, your comments and others like it in a similiar thread a few months ago have put my fears to rest.  FYI, here's the thread  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=244776
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Normal.  No biggee.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  They'd go bang.  It's just that they've probably been chambered before, and the charging handle was made to "follow" the bolt carrier when it returned to battery.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes.  They'd go bang.  It's just that they've probably been chambered before, and the charging handle was made to "follow" the bolt carrier when it returned to battery.

I thought sealed XM193 is factory new ammo?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is.  Ignore that foolish reply.  Chambering a round will not creat those kind of dents anyway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised at the amount of misinformation concerning all things AR.  Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Drop them in a case gauge... you do have one,  right ?...  If they fit the gauge and check out, shoot them.   The 45,000+psi  chamber pressure inside the case will fire form them dents right out smooth as the chamber, never know the difference when you look at them when you pick them up and look.

I drop all my ammo, that avoid an embarrasing stoppage while out blasting with company, or shooting a pistol/rifle match.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Drop them in a xase gauge... you do have one,  right...  

Huh?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You use the case gauge to visually verify that the external dimensions of the case is in spec so that the cartridge will likely fit the chamber as intended.

Oversize rounds will not fit the gauge, so they will not fit the chamber,,,,  right..  I drop all my ammo to avoid embarrassment,  or keep from having a PIA stoppage and cutting the day short, or a DNF..

It is taking me a few minutes to get pic from camera and upload to host .......

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of the rounds of M855 look like that when pulled out of the bandos on strippers from ammo for Gov't use. .  Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is.  Ignore that foolish reply.  Chambering a round will not creat those kind of dents anyway.

Ever tried ejecting a round manually, not pulling the charging handle all the way and releasing the bolt slowly?  Your bolt will definitely not "catch" the next round.  Instead of engaging the base of the case, the bolt will in fact slide along the case as the bullet tries to leave the mag.    Give it a try, you'll know what I mean.  And it's not a foolish reply.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever tried ejecting a round manually, not pulling the charging handle all the way and releasing the bolt slowly?  Your bolt will definitely not "catch" the next round.  Instead of engaging the base of the case, the bolt will in fact slide along the case as the bullet tries to leave the mag.    Give it a try, you'll know what I mean.  And it's not a foolish reply.

I beleive he was referring to the comment about XM193 from a sealed case being previously chambered.  Not that chambering wont' cause the dent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I beleive he was referring to the comment about XM193 from a sealed case being previously chambered.  Not that chambering wont' cause the dent.

Got it.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
This has to be P.D.
Please distinguish???

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This has to be P.D.

Nope, read the post.  Real deal XM193 and others have said it's normal(see ammo oracle tacked here).  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This has to be P.D.

Nope, read the post.  Real deal XM193 and others have said it's normal(see ammo oracle tacked here).  

Where did it come from???
I have inspected a shit load of lot 102
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Where did it come from???

Widener's, listed in the ammo price list.  Somebody else was saying recent production was looking kinda ugly.  As long as it's safe to shoot, I'm good.  arfcom veterans are saying it's not unusual.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay,
Lot 103-105
Anybody seen it yet???
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey SBR7, where would one find a gauge like that one for 5.56 ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sinclair
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Uahhhh since there are NO external case dimension differences between 5.56 and .223, you can use ANY case gauge on the market for the cartridge.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uahhhh since there are NO external case dimension differences between 5.56 and .223, you can use ANY case gauge on the market for the cartridge.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sinclair

Mine is a LE Wilson, bought it at  Midway some 15+ yr ago... been a very use tool since I bought it.

I currently keep a 223,  30-06,  8x57,  9x19, 38 Super, and  40 S&W gauges on hand.  The 40 gauge is really handy when it come to the 40 brass, as some of them Glocks have case bulge, and the 40 case will fit either way in the gauge if it is good.   I had to really keep an eye on 38 Super, I would usually bulk resize, drop, load, and drop again, saved a lot of "DNF" there.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top