Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 9:29:43 AM EDT
I'm sorry , but I had to share this.....

(Wisdom from another website.. )
"M193F is the most accurate non reloaded M193 i have ever shot!
F stands for frozen, having to do with the way the rounds are manufactured
in order to make them more accurate."

Followed by my response....

WTH..... I am going to take that as a total joke........ Otherwise that is beyond a doubt the most foolish statement I have ever read on this forum.

And then, the comeback......

Do your research and stop looking foolish!

The Federal XM193F ammunition uses cryo treated bullets.

The "F" stands for "Frozen", and the treatment is used to modify the molecular structure of the bullet cores. If you were to dissect one of the "Non-F" bullets and look at it under an electron spectrograph, you would see how the cannelure has impacted the sub-strata of the projectile's core, inducing eddies and swirls that decrease the uniformity from one bullet to the next. Chilling the bullets to -400 deg. F reshapes the crystalline lattice into a much more consistent pattern. "

Where do people come up with this stuff ??

Again, I had to share... Mods feel free to move this or shut it down. ... but I couldn't resist sharing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Might want to point him to this page on Federal's website: http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/xm193.aspx
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that takes the cake.  Usually someone that sounds intelligent knows a little something.  But in this case, he has been seriously misinformed and borders on "nutcase".
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
This is when you get his FB & then post the facts on it & make them look like a complete tool to everyone they know.... Just saying.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Might want to point him to this page on Federal's website: http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/xm193.aspx

Yeah , some of the other guys have posted that.
We, as in the other "doubters" have asked for links to the "F" = Cyro-treated XM193F bullets.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
that guy has an imagination.. to say the least
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Another month before we have frozen 193...I'll let you know that first -20 below day if they make a difference...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What drives someone to come up with something like that. That story is rich with detail not a pull it out of your ass gun show tale.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I do know "X" stands for experimental.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
M... munitions? Manufacture? OK.. Xperimental Munition...............
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
DA FUQ
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm impressed by his ability to make shit up!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, just imagine if Federal would moly coat those bullets! XM193FM.

Hmmm, sounds like a radio station..

"All BS, all the time!"

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow just wow!  Should of asked how old he is ?  Cause he obvious hasn't completed grade school yet!   Way to many video games running around in his head! If that little tid bit came out watching a video game you know they think it's Gods word!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're correct that the military uses the "X" prefix to denote "experimental", but in the case of the Federal ammo I think they just use the X to differentiate the ammo that hits the streets from the govt. contract stuff.
For example, an over run (or a lot that fails for whatever reason} of military M193 that gets sold commercially becomes XM193, and they add the suffixes F, J, etc. to indicate the different packaging types.
If their ammo makes the grade and passes all govt. testing it then becomes M193, M855, etc.
If not, we end up with it as "XM-whatever".
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I found the post you're referring to....that guy has been registered there for more than six years and has over 7,000 posts!
You'd think he would have picked up some basic knowledge from those guys long before now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're correct that the military uses the "X" prefix to denote "experimental", but in the case of the Federal ammo I think they just use the X to differentiate the ammo that hits the streets from the govt. contract stuff.
For example, an over run (or a lot that fails for whatever reason} of military M193 that gets sold commercially becomes XM193, and they add the suffixes F, J, etc. to indicate the different packaging types.
If their ammo makes the grade and passes all govt. testing it then becomes M193, M855, etc.
If not, we end up with it as "XM-whatever".

I think the military ammo has more QC steps during the manufacturing process than the "X" ammo does. I don't believe the "X" means that lot of ammo had failed some post-production quality test other than maybe a scan for surface blems.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found the post you're referring to....that guy has been registered there for more than six years and has over 7,000 posts!
You'd think he would have picked up some basic knowledge from those guys long before now.

Do share. I want to see this man's intelligence first hand.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought the F stood for fast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]
No no... I just realized X mean ex and in ex wife. It's an ammo the military doesn't use as a mail battle round, so it's an ex-round.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
X stands for declassified.
That's some high speed ammo ya got there.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
We've strayed well out of the realm of tech here. Although the stupidity of others is always entertaining.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top