Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/20/2004 9:55:14 PM EST
I know they were aluminum but what kind of coating did they have on them? Rubber correct? What consistancy of rubber was it? Also they were only 2 position correct? Does anyone have a closeup photo of one for me to look at? I want to build one of these rifles as close to original as I can get it. Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:57:56 AM EST
Actually, the coating is plastic, not rubber; much like the stuff you buy at the hardware store to dip tool handles in.

I think the same people that are selling the fake suppressors are also offering a copy of the stock; except that the tube is four position and the clamp nut is the new type with the notches at the rear.

The only way I know to get an exact dup of the two position original would be to buy an SP1 carbine, and either build your XM177 dup on it, or pull the stock, barrel and hanguards off of it, rebuild the recievers as an SP1 rifle, sell it, and then use the carbine parts as the basis for an XM177E2 buildup on a push pin type lower/ forward assist A1 type upper.

I did my own XM clone in 1979, and the SP1 was the only thing around. Since I also class 3'd it that year, it's going to stay on that lower forever. Did manage to get ahold of a big hole forward assist upper a few years back, so I finally got an "E2" copy after 20 years
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:39:04 AM EST
Is the company you are talking about Total Silence? I have found a source for aluminum buttstocks but not coated. I was actualy thinking about useing that tool dip stuff to coat one with but I dont know how well that would turn out. I can live with the 4 position tube versus the 2 position.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:04:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By DM1975:
Is the company you are talking about Total Silence? I have found a source for aluminum buttstocks but not coated. I was actualy thinking about useing that tool dip stuff to coat one with but I dont know how well that would turn out. I can live with the 4 position tube versus the 2 position.

The only problem with the tool dip would be if the coating was thick enough to interfere with the fit on the buffer tube.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:06:04 AM EST
I could mask off the inside easy enough.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:25:23 AM EST
The coating is Vinyl Acetate, it's not the same stuff as the DIP A GRIP......it won't work. The finish is sprayed on and requires a special heating process or it will flake or rub off. I have access to reproduction SP1/XM177 stocks. Drop me an email for price and lead time.

Here's a pic of the kit so you can see what the stock looks like

Top Top