Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 10:30:58 AM EDT
I belong to several forums, as I am sure many of you do, but I came accross this on a different forum,  take a look, it is pretty scarry!!!  Also, has anyone seen a catastrophis failure like this from an AR variant?

Sako goes boom!

See ya,
JMS

P.S..  Wasn't sure where I should post a thread with a subject like this, but I figured a failure like this would result with serious trouble shooting, so this area seemed the most appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]

And the shooter was honest enough to confess that the error had been his: he had shot two rounds previous to the failure (his handloads), both of which had stuck in the chamber (!) and required the use of a cleaning rod from the muzzle to remove; as both holes touched, he just HAD to fire one more.... Unfortunately, as it turned out, the brass jag had come off the rod and lodged about 4 inches ahead of the chamber. I'd like to examine the bore of the rifle illustrated here, and would expect to find evidence of obstruction.

To add, I have had KB's, but never that kind of ride.  After something like that, it would taken more than a box of baby wipes and fire hose to clean myself and the rearward area that I would have soiled (back of my pants would have been blown out too).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll post some pics soon but I've had a KB with an AR.  Bolt head split in half at the firing pin hole.  Had to saw open the upper receiver to attempt salvage of  the bolt/ carrier, charging handle and barrel.

Both receivers were bulged, lost the contents of the mag when they blew out the bottom.
Right side of the lower ( A2 ) didn't bulge.  

The bolt carrier was fine.  The bolt catch broke off though.  

-luke

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Note: The bolt and chamber did not fail.  The case failed allowing high pressure gas to flow back around the bolt and into the bolt carrier.  The carrier split along it's weakest line taking the upper receiver with it.  The high pressure gas bulged the lower and blew the contents of the mag out the bottom.

Some argue it must have been caused by using pistol powder since sufficient rifle powder would not fit in a 223 cartridge.  I believe a weak or faulty case could split and even a normal load could cause this damage.  

This type of pic shows up on this board about once a year.  It's impossible to know how frequently this type of failure happens.  I shoot about 5k rounds per year and there must be at least a 1000 people who shoot similar amounts that would post something like this to the board.  That would put the failure rate at 1 in 5 million rounds.  It may well be less frequent than that.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Tweak
Cleaning rod was not involved in this one.  All it takes is 1 case used too many times or 1 case with a manufacturing defeact...  1 in 5,000,000
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Note:
Some argue it must have been caused by using pistol powder since sufficient rifle powder would not fit in a 223 cartridge.  I believe a weak or faulty case could split and even a normal load could cause this damage.  

jcrisp.net/pics1/arLower.jpg

I am new to reloading but what did you mean you had to use pistol powder and sufficient rifle powder would not fit in a 223 case?There are lots of powders to use for the 223. What powder and load did you use?I am not trying to rag on you .I just want to understand so If it is avoidable I avoid doing it .
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the some thing simuliar happen to me many years ago, not quite this drastic, but same effect, no more bolt carrier and upper receiver.

Pulled back the charging handle, let go.  Round did not fully chamber.  So use the so call forward assist, closed the chamber, pull the trigger... Kaboom...  he
Problem turns out to be quite simple.  The bolt did not chamber was due to the next round in the mag jammed up aginst the bolt carrier.  When I used the forward assist, I just jammed it tighter.  So when the round discharged, the recoil gas accumlated in the bolt carrier but because it did not move, it over pressured and found the weakest part of the bolt carrier and exit.  hing...

Oh, I did rebuit the entire rifle using the same bolt, barrel, lower.  Just got a new upper and bolt carrier.  No problems....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
DAMN!!!

...makes me want to stick to my 22 for awhile...is that blood in the last pic?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
at least it blew up nice and symettrical
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top