Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 12:13:56 AM EDT
I am trying to decide if I really need to ship my upper off to one of the big name guys to have it done, or if this is something that an everyday local gunsmith can handle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I certainly don't see it as a big deal.  Places like ADCO may be cheaper, but you need to figure shipping in on the total cost.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Any local machine shop should be able to thread an AR15 barrel. I've got one I use that turns the profile down  recrowns and threads the barrel for $15 while I wait. He's also very pro gun.It's a small two man family owned shop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any local machine shop should be able to thread an AR15 barrel. I've got one I use that turns the profile down  recrowns and threads the barrel for $15 while I wait. He's also very pro gun.It's a small two man family owned shop.

Machine shops are definitely better than gunsmiths for this job.  Alot of gunsmiths don't deal with ARs alot, although there a few out there that do.  The only catch to that is you would likely have to disassemble/reassemble the upper yourself so that the machinist can work on the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Just stopped at the local fun shop to ask about barrel threading, no-go.

Said my best bet was probably send it to Bushmaster or someone like ADCO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sending mine to KKF
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am trying to decide if I really need to ship my upper off to one of the big name guys to have it done, or if this is something that an everyday local gunsmith can handle.

Thanks!

you are in IN?  ADCO is in ohio.  i have dealt with them in the past.  EXCELLENT service.  I HIGHLY recommend them, you can't go wrong.

S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top