Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 9:13:46 PM EDT
Got a Pre-Ban FAL with sidefolding stock- thinking of selling it to get another Pre-Ban AR15. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I could possibly get quite a nice AR for what this thing is worth, any comments?
Thanks,
Creeper
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got a Pre-Ban FAL with sidefolding stock- thinking of selling it to get another Pre-Ban AR15. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I could possibly get quite a nice AR for what this thing is worth, any comments?
Thanks,
Creeper
View Quote

Hell no. The Fal is worth a buttload more then the AR, unless the AR has tons of accessories?

What type of FAL? Imbel, FN or FM? Either way the Para FAL is probably worth more.

ls
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Not no, but HELL NO! ARs are nice, they have their niche and everything, but an MBR they are not. Especially if you already have an AR.

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
These guys pretty well summed it up. I do have a preban AR though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Save you money and buy a pre-ban AR, keep the FAL in your safe, don't sell anything.  sometimes the toys you sell can't be replaced again.  like my SG551....  [>Q]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Would you sell a Pre-Ban FAL sidefolder to get a Pre-Ban AR???
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]

not a chance.

not even close.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
No.  While I like my ARs, I like my FALs better.  Hence the FALbert moniker.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, Yes, Sure.

Would a SP1 slab-side suffice for a trade?

Please post a pic of your FAL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
No no, but NO!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You would be absolutely CRAZY to part with your sidefolder FAL!!!

I love my ARs (only 4 so far, sad I know), but were I you, I would need something far more cool to make me part with such a great gun... something like... well, can you say "belt fed"?!

Scot
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
ok, i'll be the only yes sayer just because i think those side folders are a real meat grinder. i much prefer my FAL's with their full stocks especially if it's designed to be a MBR.

now if i could only have ONE rifle, a side folder FAL would be it. compact and big bore!

for the money of a pre ban para fal you could have a pre ban AR and a real nice post ban DSA.
just my .02, flame away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
how much do you want for your FAL?

:)
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
[nono]        [nono]           [nono]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No no, but NO!
View Quote

Close, No, No, [b]HELL NO[/b]...

You were joking, right?

I have a DSA STG58 and [i]some[/i] preban AR's...

I would love to have a Folder FAL or Belgian, b ut I dont see it anytime soon.

*IF I did, [red] no way in hell . com[/red]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would keep the FAL, and save for a preban... Like SMGLee, I cry at the thought of some of the things that have passed through my hands... though I don't thing I would have ever parted with a 551... [:\]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a large assortment of preban AR15s and one lonely FAL. [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
SELL SELL SELL

[b]Unless of course you are planning on converting it to the DSA shorty with RAS (that is pretty nice.)

Or you could sell it and buy a Troy Ind Sopmod M-14. (collapsible stock, short barrel, RAS, billet stock, 1/2MOA)[/b]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I got the FAL for $1650, Pre-Ban T48 built with all (Get this) matching numbered FN 50:63 kit!!! Even has bomb proofs on the barrel!

Anyway got a new pivot block from DSA for it but haven't installed it yet. Then it will lock shut and open rock solid as the FN pivot block is a little worn.

I was thinking of selling it only because I have several other FAL's with full stocks that I built that are fine shooters. The para is really cool but unrealistic unless carrying or jumping out of planes. I have yet to see a Pre-Ban Para go for under $2000 but caught this one just right- only a SOPMOD M4 full set-up (semi) build be awsome course I already have a Pre-Ban M4 set-up.

So in the scope of things I got a deal on the FAL which is really nice but knowing I could easily dump it for $1900 is making me think a little.

Perhaps I will keep it and buy a shorty handguard DSA front end and have them install a shorty belgian FH on the end of the barrel after cutting it back to 15" and tac weld the FH. This way it would have the shorty handguards and an FH that I can mount a bayonet to. Maybe also get the FAL Rail handguards??? Install my M900A and it would be badass with an ACOG- but then it would be to short for proper FPS on .308, but the envy of others may be worth the hassle.

Well thanks you guys for the input!!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll swap my pre ban SP-1 Car-15 with a 1 in 7 pencil barrel, three position Bushmaster stock with rubber pad, Vortex, tritium front sight, A2 rear aperature on a Canadian upper, with an extra slabside upper with a 20" A1 1 in 12 barrel with CM-2037 Cobray flare launcher, 203 handguard, Delta slipring and A2 handguards for the FAL.

(edit) I'll throw in 2 GI surplus 20 round mags and 5 30's, and a JFS Redi-mag, and a few muzzle caps and the USGI FM on the '16. And leave the JFS sling with USGI M-203 side sling adapter on it. And inc,lude the full A2 stock, buffer, spring, etc. I took off of it originally. I'll include an M-7 bayonet and a GI bipod.

We each pay for our own shipping and transfer fees.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#20]
SOPMOD M-14 with short barrel (SBR) and TROY CQB suppressor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah  I don't think you'ld miss the FAL

Of course you could also cut/crown, thread the FAL and SBR it and put the TROY can on that too. Either way it'ld be a heck of a gun.  Esspecially if you can still get 30rd Fal mags.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Tim J does your AR have the raised fence?? I know you said CAR15 but I know Colt's not Bushmaster. Really I would not need either of the uppers- probably I would put a brand new Bushmaster flat-top  profile M4 14.5" with Vortex tacked and new detach carry handle type. I have a Colt M4 early model with fixed carry handle and have always wanted an M4 flat-top.
Let me know,
Creeper

BTW- I sent the new pivot block out to DSA today to have a new Brazilian Buttstock installed. This way it will lock and unlock rock solid. So far I have about $1650 in the rifle +$110 for pivot block and +$80 for new buttstock in this rifle for a total of $1,840.

Really would like a Pre-Ban Bushmaster outfitted in true M4 style or a Colt small pin Pre-Ban, or Eagle. The FAL is really nice and I believe the bore was new before it was installed or at least close to it. I build FAL's for a hobby and this one was built by a professional though I personally build them slightly better because I they are mine.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Creeper,

No fence. Large hole. Both uppers are large hole, too. Replaced two screw affair with a push pin, and have both the old two screw pivot and a small upper adapter pin.

I build FALs, too, but only have a pre-94 L1A1 in the safe. I've wanted a PARA since I was a kid, and don't want to wait to see if the ban sunsets to make one.....

Tim
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#23]
The fact that you even ask this question may indicate that you had a moment of mental instability. [shock]

Therefore you should not be allowed to own such a rifle. Please send it to me so that I can keep it safe.[rofl]

(Guess you figured out my answer was no, huh?)
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
NO!! As much as I luv my ARs, FALs, especially pre-ban side folders, have a special place in my heart. I WANT ONE !! [SOAPBOX]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top