BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2006 3:11:05 PM EDT
Here's the scenario:

Wanted cop-killing felon is believed by LE to be located in your area. Subject is considered armed and dangerous. LE advises that they are concerned that subject may try to take a hostage and/or hostage and vehicle.

Do you feel secure having a 5.56 mm weapon for defense?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Title Question: No

Message Question: Yes
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here's the scenario:

Wanted cop-killing felon is believed by LE to be located in your area. Subject is considered armed and dangerous. LE advises that they are concerned that subject may try to take a hostage and/or hostage and vehicle.

Do you feel secure having a 5.56 mm weapon for defense?

Bring it!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
no and yes
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you want a bigger caliber rifle?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Not against a handgun, or a knife...........
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

two questions
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel very secure. In fact I cant wait
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I would prefer a tactical shotgun for home defense. For longer range stuff, the AR would be great. The added benefit of knowing it would punch through soft body armor is a fring benefit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

Danny
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Cute pups, Steve!  Yeah, our dogs serve as early warning also, but the Shepard may try to take a bite outta crime...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]
No to feeling undergunned with AR...

Yes to feeling secure with a 5.56 weapon for defense.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#14]
No to being under-gunned.  Yes, surely.  I've seen what a 5.56 does to armed and dangerous people.  No problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I would feel secure in my home. I would reach for my shotgun in the case of home invasion however.

Outside my home I would be more concerned as I am not allowed to CCW in Maryland.

The AR-15 or M4 would be more useful in a New Orleans Katrina type scenario with roving bands.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the guy would be fucked if this happened to anyone on this site
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+2

This is a ridiculous question in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not when I have attack dogs.
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/dogs.jpg
Well, at least they'll let me know which door he would attempt to come in

I think I have your dog's twins. The yellow lab, looks like my oldest, Toby, who is 8, and the chocolate looks like my youngest, Sig who is 1 and has the same smile. They bark, and sound like they would eat someone alive, but they would probably just lick them into submission. As far as the question, No, I have a varient for every occasion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Sadly I live in appartments that are considered on school property and thus have to leave the toys at my dad's house :(   They wont be taking my tactical baton though, lol, as weak as that is :(
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
No I am totally confident in my AR to defend my turf.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sadly I live in appartments that are considered on school property and thus have to leave the toys at my dad's house :(   They wont be taking my tactical baton though, lol, as weak as that is :(

You've been waiting a long time for this question it seems. 2003, and 6 posts, good to hear from you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
are you kidding?  I wish some idiot would try to break into my house and take me as a hostage.... infact I fantasize about it sometimes
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be confident in the house or outside with the AR but not in the car. You cant move it effectively.... definitly rock the XD .45 in the car.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd feel quite comfortable. I actually have my M4 about 2 feet away from me right now
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the look of my AR would make the bad guy cry like a little school girl.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#27]
No. I need some controlled pairs practice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I think the guy would be fucked if this happened to anyone on this site

Hahahaha!!!

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#29]
someone posted this in the picture thread a few days ago - don't remember who, but I think its relevant

1 Stripped Lower Reciever ....  $129
1 Complete Buttstock Assembly $65
1 Lower Parts Kit ........................ $60
1 Complete Upper Assembly........ $ 500

Look on the would-be burglar's face the split-second before you light him up...... Priceless!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I would rather have an AR than something in .308.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#31]
30 rounds of Black Hills Blue Box 68gr Heavy Match HP is a very comfortable feeling.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Looks like a pic of my two attack dogs

Do I feel undergunned? No

Bad guy in the area?  It will give me an excuse to walk around the house in my tactical gear.  He may get in, but he isn't coming out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Great looking dogs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
A mag full of winchester silvertips, and "happiness is a warm gun" hope that's a good enough answer.

the 4 homies in the car that stopped and harrassed my 8yr old boy last week didn't think I was undergunned.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the replies! I think we're pretty well covered. Got the Glocks w/lights, and 870 w/light, 2 rounds of #8 followed by 3 000 buck and a HP slug, and an AR/light and coupled 30 rndrs w/M193. The neighbors are simillarly prepared, and were looking out for each other. LE told us that we are far enough out and difficult to locate that we need to neutralize the threat immediately, because if we call 911 first, he'll either get away or we will be dead. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a heavier caliber battle rifle. All my .30's are bolt actions...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would prefer a tactical shotgun for home defense. For longer range stuff, the AR would be great. The added benefit of knowing it would punch through soft body armor is a fring benefit.

So, if the BG comes into your house with soft body armor, what will you do?

AR is the best all around weapon out there, in my opinion.
If it wasn't it wouldn't be the weapon of choice for the free world.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No to being under-gunned.  Yes, surely.  I've seen what a 5.56 does to armed and dangerous people.  No problem.

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
"If you knew......................"

If I knew I was going to be invaded by an army of starving zombies, I'd have my 1919 set up.
If I knew that I was going to walk in on a bank robbery in progress that day, I would have been carrying a 12ga, instead of a S&W J frame..................................actually, if I knew, I just wouldn't have gone in, DAH

The AR is comfortable to carry, light weight, compact, ect.

But IF I knew I was going to be ambushed that day I would pack an AK47, or 12ga, or 1919.

You need to carry whatever you feel comfortable with, or else you won't carry it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#39]
As long as this is continuing o degenerate into a thread about highly trained attack dogs i submit my puppy Tackleberry...

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9739/photo042mf.jpg
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#40]
In my twenty years (wtf 20 years, I feel like a rookie) in LE I have been in a few shootings.  My first few were with a 1911 and a glock.  My last two were with my Colt AR.  My first AR shot required me to hit a dude who had just shot up his wife, was driving at my troops in a Jag convertable as he fired at hose draggers.  My only shot was of his big old fat melon, I put the front site at a six oclock hold on his head and fired 4..to hit and everybody but Mr Duffy went home...well the one on earth anyway.  The second was a crazy dude who was running around a high school pointing a handgun at kids.  As I took a position to cover his exit, he walked around a corner shooting at me.  I fired 7 unsighted rounds down range and hit him once in his gun hand.  Ain't it the truth you always focus on the threat.  My back drop on this shooting was a bunch of those large plastic garbage cans, the six that missed hit the cans and just died, no threat to the kids.

I will be honest I would love a 7.62 but the 556 is so much better then a handgun and you don't have to worry as much about over penetration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Outside my home I would be more concerned as I am not allowed to CCW in Maryland.

Should be interesting to conceal carrying an AR.

My dogs in attack posture:
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#42]
1. gbatch750 you need to STOP FANTASIZING!

2. half of you people scare the hell out of me............................exactly at the same time as you remind me of myself
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
No, I would not feel undergunned.

Yes, 5.56 would be good enough for me.

My only problem would be, which AR do I grab?

If I want to venture outside the realm of 5.56, do I grab one of the AKs, the FAL, the SKS, one of the handguns, or one of the shotguns?  Do I trust the alarm, or the dog?  Dammit, I have too many choices available to me so I would just grab whatever is at the front of the safe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"If you knew......................"

If I knew I was going to be invaded by an army of starving zombies, I'd have my 1919 set up.
If I knew that I was going to walk in on a bank robbery in progress that day, I would have been carrying a 12ga, instead of a S&W J frame..................................actually, if I knew, I just wouldn't have gone in, DAH

The AR is comfortable to carry, light weight, compact, ect.

But IF I knew I was going to be ambushed that day I would pack an AK47, or 12ga, or 1919.

You need to carry whatever you feel comfortable with, or else you won't carry it.

Just curious as to why you would pick the AK over the AR........not disagreing....just curious.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#45]
i wouldnt feel undergunned
4 30 round mags and my ar about 3 feet from me
let them try to get in my door an see what ive got on the other side..need a happy switch tho
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#46]
After going to Iraq and seeing what the 5.56 does to a human body no, I would not feel undergunned.

Incidentally, I've seen the SS109 green tip stop vehicles (albeit, claptrap Iraqi vehicles) in one shot, kill through a car door in one shot, blow half a guys head off with one shot, and drop a guy in one shot.  It will do the job...I am a believer and wasn't before I went over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone seems to be operating under the premise that this would be indoor engagement. Yes, at indoor distances, I have every confidence in the 5.56. I was think more about outdoors...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I would much rather have a 7.62 NATO cartridge in a paramilitary engagement where I might have to shoot at a puff of smoke or muzzle flashes coming from a brick building 400 yards away. Penetrating cover (not armor) at a distance is where the 7.62 has some serious advantages over the 5.56mm

And the AK series of weapon might be preferable when operating in a dirty/muddy/sandy environment where maintenance is impossible.

But in the scenario you give none of these things apply. A .308 rifle with soft point ammunition will do far more damage than a 5.56 but .308 rifles tend to be heavy and have a stout recoil. The light weight of an AR makes it easy and fast to bring into action and the light recoil means that follow up shots will be fast and easy too. If the first 5.56 round doesn’t bring the bad guy down it’s got 29 little friends just waiting to help out. That pretty much makes the 5.56 the best round for that scenario.

And since my AR is going to be clean and well maintained it is as reliable as any rifle can be. So there’s no advantage to an AK

I wouldn’t feel undergunned at all in your scenario. I would feel unsecure, my name’s not John Rambo. No matter how good or careful you are in that situation, bad things can happen. But I would feel confident that I had the best weapon available for that scenario.

Although to be honest I would be happy with either an AK of a FAL in this situation. I think the AR would be the best choice but the others would do just fine too. It would really come down to situational awareness, training, and luck more than it would weapon selection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I would not feel undergunned

I am perfectly happy with the AR for self defense
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
If he has a RPG or grenade launcher or tank yes i am undergunned.

If its a felon with a gun not so much because gun fights are luck and depends if he can sneak up on me.  

If I see him first out to 200meters rockon!!!  He be dead.  Then I go to jail for helping the cops and protect society.  How said is that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top