Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:23:44 PM EDT
Since Bushmaster rifles are chrome-lined, would this cleaning kit be alright to use in it? ------>M-16 BUTT STOCK KIT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't use it. Those sectioned rods can be hell on rifling and the crown. I use a Dewey coated rod.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't use it. Those sectioned rods can be hell on rifling and the crown. I use a Dewey coated rod.

Well said! Stay away from sectioned rods! Dewy or Tipton carbonfiber rods are much safer for your gun!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any kit anywhere that contains a carbonfiber rod along with all of the other cleaning accessories?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
What about this one?  Government Issue M16 Cleaning Kit The only reason I mention that one is because it is the one used and described about how to use, in the Bushmaster manual.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Not that I know of but you can get the Dewey rod and everything else you need from Bushy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about this one?  Government Issue M16 Cleaning Kit The only reason I mention that one is because it is the one used and described about how to use, in the Bushmaster manual.

Same one you mentioned above. You want a one piece rod. Like I said earlier sectioned rods are no good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh crap I am sorry. The first kit you mentioned was the Otis kit. I thought it was the USGI kit. The Otis kit is safe to use but IMO still wont do as good a job as a good one piece rod.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Since Bushmaster rifles are chrome-lined, would this cleaning kit be alright to use in it? ------>M-16 BUTT STOCK KIT

that kit will do fine.

has all the essentials

coated flex rod
patch jag
bore brush
chamber brush and rid
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would you say the Otis is less effective than the one piece rod?

Steve
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why would you say the Otis is less effective than the one piece rod?

Steve

would also like to know why the otis is less effective.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Benchrest shooters use one piece rods for a reason. The Otis kit simply does not clean as well. It is a good quality kit however.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Benchrest shooters use one piece rods for a reason. The Otis kit simply does not clean as well. It is a good quality kit however.

not trying to start a pissing match but what would the one piece rod have over the one piece fles rod?

the only thing i see is that you could pull/push which isnt recommended to begin with. other than that all your doing is pulling the jag/brush through the bore.

the flex rod twist along with the twist in the bore so thats similar to the bearing in the rod, both are coated and both can handle the abuse though i think the flex rod has the advantage cause its a coated cable and flexible. the cable also stores easier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
A solid rod will simply clean better than a flex rod.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A solid rod will simply clean better than a flex rod.

why?

just want to know why you think that the solid rod will be better? anything to backup your statement.

since the brush/jag is in the tight bore i dont see any difference if you use a quality flex rod or a solid one.

all it is used for is to pull the brush/jag through the bore and since both are coated then neither will damage the bore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I too would like to know what the difference in performance is between the straight rod and flex rod.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I too would like to know what the difference in performance is between the straight rod and flex rod.

i guess there is no advantages over each other, which ever you choose to use.

the flex rod does store easier
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotta' agree with eklikwhoa on this one.

The only purpose of the rod/flex rod is to get the brush/patch through the bore. The actual rod has no cleaning properties and the wrong rod can actually do more harm than good.

For what it's worth...I have an Otis kit for when I'm on the go and a one-piece Dewey for at home cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
if all you use are slotted jags then there is no difference. Put a non slotted jag on a soild rod and push it thru the bore  will clean better and faster than any loop yupe jag.  you can not push with a limp rod. this is whay a soild rod is better.  If all you use are loops there is no difference in cleaning ability.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Otis cable system

+1  

and I don't ever use an  Dewey.   While they are a fine rod, they don't do anything the Otis won't, and they aren't very portable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are gonna use a section rod push the rod out from the chamber instead of in threw the muzzel. I don't think you need to use more then two sections any way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]
That think i wouldn't use that to clean out my ass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Just out of curiosity (and not meant to hijack said thread), what is currently issued to the US Army and Marines for M16/M4 cleaning equipment?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity (and not meant to hijack said thread), what is currently issued to the US Army and Marines for M16/M4 cleaning equipment?

Actually, I too would like to know this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I too would like to know this.

My Marine son and his guys over in the sandbox were issued the belt pouch type GI kits,so I sent them over a dozen Otis kits.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top