Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 9:12:14 PM EDT
I have a 16 inch pencil barrel on my carbine. I would like to mount a mid length FF HG. But the damn gas blocks for the light weight barrels are hard to find and expensive.

So would it be stupid to just cut down the FSB so the HG could fit over it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if you don't post pics.  Seriously though, IIRC that's what Corey (and others) did.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I was considering just going with a Carbine length, but that just leaves huge amounts of barrel sticking out which could be covered in usable real estate.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet, I just was wondering about my options.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'm going to get a Troy MRF, and really like the MX length.  I just can't bring myself to cut my lightweight carbine FSB as I'm running (and like) a fixed BUIS.  I'm going to do the MRF-CX on the carbine and eventually either a shaved FSB or flip front on either a carbon FF rifle length tube (PRI or ...) or a more conventional quad like a Troy or maybe LaRue, for a SPRish/SAMish type bipod upper.  I'm 18-20" impaired at the moment though
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No it would be cool, imo. You are talking about something like a free floated dissapator set up like a SPR?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No it would be cool, imo. You are talking about something like a free floated dissapator set up like a SPR?

Not sure if this was directed to me or not, but my next build (unless I do a knock-about A2) will be a FF non-cqb type.  1/7, but somewhere 16-20" without a fixed FSB.  Beyond that it's definately in limbo.  I do like the carbon tubes and am questioning the utility of a fully railed quad rail if it will never see a light / VFG / tac sling...  Of course then there's the A4's, but that's a whole 'nother animal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
They make low profile gas blocks, but shaving yours might work.  This is a DD 9.5 over a carbine length gas system using a KAC low profile gas block.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DISSERGY!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They make low profile gas blocks, but shaving yours might work.  This is a DD 9.5 over a carbine length gas system using a KAC low profile gas block.

www.hunt101.com/img/164599.JPG

Actually, I haven't found a low profile one for a light weight barrel. Model 1 says they offer a light weight barrel with a 1913 rail on it, and PRI makes one with a flip up sight, but I haven't seen a low profile gas block for a light weight (.625 I think) barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DISSERGY!

Stop it!!!!  Don't show that pic again!!!!  Look at what you have done!!!!  

I'm already in the process of building something like you have.  I've got a barrel and PRI FSB for it.  Just collecting parts right now.  I'll probably paint it just like yours, except I'll try to do it myself & I'm donsidering desert tan instead of OD, but your OD looks sweet, so I'm up in the air still - it'll be my first painting attempt.  I may even get an Advanced Armament flash hider like yours, although I really can't use it as intended, it'll just be a cool factor - in case you didn't notice, I have a muzzle device fetish.  It's one of the few places I'll spend a little extra for extra cool factor.

MudBug,

Sorry about the pencil barrel confusion on my part.  I knew that they had a 0.625 gas block diameter, just didn't put 2 & 2 together.  I don't know of anything in the market that would suit your needs right now.  If it were me, I would either shave and refinish the gas block you have or I would machine one and refinish it (or have someone do that for you).  Others here have successfully shaved their standard FSBs and put rails over them, so that seems to be the easiest route to do.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top