Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 11:05:05 PM EDT
Company needs to make a shorter version of the Vortex and Phantom for 16" rifles.  They just look too long.  I'm sure they can easily cut off about 1/2 inch and it'll still perform as advertised.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If they could don't you think they would?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been shortening the Vortex FHs for my custom setups.  I don't think I'm taking off nearly 1/2", though.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been shortening the Vortex FHs for my custom setups.  I don't think I'm taking off nearly 1/2", though.

mongo, have you tested the effectiveness of the Vortex after shortening it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Company needs to make a shorter version of the Vortex and Phantom for 16" rifles.  They just look too long.  I'm sure they can easily cut off about 1/2 inch and it'll still perform as advertised.  

Wait a minute. You are concerned about the flash hider "looking" too long? Are you entering your rifle in a beauty contest or something? They are designed to work well not look good. Why would they be made longer than they needed to be?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't, but others have with favorable results.  Does shortening the tines affect its reputation as the best FH out there - probably, but I have no data to support or deny that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't, but others have with favorable results.  Does shortening the tines affect its reputation as the best FH out there - probably, but I have no data to support or deny that.

I would bet that shortening the tines does lessen it's effectiveness because the tines have to resonate in order to break up the gases. Now, how much its effectiveness is lessened has yet to be seen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Matt,

This pic will give you a feel for how much, or how little, depending on how you look at it, I remove from the Vortex.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks good Mongo........
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey Matt,

This pic will give you a feel for how much, or how little, depending on how you look at it, I remove from the Vortex.

Doesn't look like much (0.25"?). Now am curious as to why you do shorten it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Matt,

It is dimensionally identical to an Ops Inc brake.  IIRC, I take off just over .2"
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Matt,

It is dimensionally identical to an Ops Inc brake.  IIRC, I take off just over .2"

Gotch ya. I was surprised I was that close to the amount you actually take off considering I don't have a machinist's eye.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Mongo, how long are the factory tines on the vortex?  How much for your version?  Anyway to get it even shorter?  I'm thinking about taking about 1/3 off the original....
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mongo, how long are the factory tines on the vortex?  How much for your version?  Anyway to get it even shorter?  I'm thinking about taking about 1/3 off the original....

You supply the Vortex and tell me what you want done to it and I can very likely do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Mongo--
Why does that Vortex have external threads?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mongo--
Why does that Vortex have external threads?

It is physically and dimensionally identical to the Ops Inc brake.  The Ops Inc suppressor would thread onto the flash hider.  That's all theoretical, of course, as I can't own a suppressor in MI, and Ops Inc cans aren't, as of yet, available to the public.  So, for now, it's just for show.  Something different.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I love that Smith Vortex. I'm definetly gonna use it on mt first buil whenever I uit slacking and start ordering parts. Thanks for the quick reply Mongo, ....your up early, or late I don' tknow which. I'm out for the night folks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I love that Smith Vortex. I'm definetly gonna use it on mt first buil whenever I uit slacking and start ordering parts. Thanks for the quick reply Mongo, ....your up early, or late I don' tknow which. I'm out for the night folks!

Damn neighbor's dog started at 3:55am.

Boy am I going to be tired tonight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn neighbor's dog started at 3:55am.

Boy am I going to be tired tonight.

You sure you don't live in IL on my street??

I went to bed at about 2:30 and woke up around 5:00 (4:00a.m. Eastern) and have been awake ever since.............

[Wanders off to get AR and find nieghbor's dog]

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]

If they could don't you think they would?

They can, they're made 1.5" for a reason. To add on a 14.5" bbl for a legal 16". I'd buy a Phantom on a A2 length in a second. I'll probably buy one anyway . I do understand where A96 is coming from. If the extra length is really neccessary for it to work properly then Oh Well, I'll have a longer rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top