Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 11:48:51 PM EDT
This may sound silly, so I will claim "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask".  I have had my ar for less than a year, about five months ago I sent it back to bushmaster and put a gas block on it.  For the first time ever I fired a rapid string of 28 rounds, smoke came pouring out of the hand guards, is this normal?
Thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have a bunch of CLP or some type of POL product coating the outside of  barrel under the hand guards?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
No, their was no CLP or any other lube under the handguards.  I was shooting handloads, varget powder, 55gr. Spitzer.  Also their is no sighs of a pressure leak.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Parkerizing is typically dunked in oil right after, so you needn't have necessarily applied it yourself for it to be present. Don't worry about it, unless it starts coming out forcefully with every shot. Then look at your gasblock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#4]
same thing with my BM when I first did that.and when I got too clean happy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember the first time I did a familirization with my old A2 back in basic I was shooting at just the 150, 200, 250, and 300 meter targets (or something like that) We had like 20 rounds and we just had to shoot the targets and they would fall then pop back up. I remember poping the 300 with the last round and getting the bolt hold open, when backed up from my sight picture I noticed the billowing. IT was most satisfying.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Same thing with mine -- I attributed it to excess oil and didn't sweat it much.

Ben
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Its the oil burning off your barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top