Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:58 PM EDT
Im wondering, in the US Army, which units are issued optics? I'm kinda an iron sight man, myself. But it seems everyone uses optics.
Thanks.
B
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:53:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BobS761:
Im wondering, in the US Army, which units are issued optics? I'm kinda an iron sight man, myself. But it seems everyone uses optics.
Thanks.
B

I can't speak for the army, but in the USMC, everyone gets a 4x acog. Obviously there are exceptions. I've seen eotechs in use, and snipers/dms get higher power optics etc...

Very few units still have iron sights. Reservists and non combat personnel (admin, motor T etc..). We even qualify with acogs now, too. I'm not sure if recruits train on them or not yet. When I went thru bootcamp (2009) it was irons, then acogs at the school of infantry.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:01:50 PM EDT
My National Guard Signal unit was issued Aimpoint Comp M4s for our M4s, so optics are pretty prevalent throughout the Army. Pretty much the only place you'll see optic-less rifles are in units where the commander doesn't trust their troops with all that expensive glass, and Reserve units with old silver-sided A1 rifles.

Everyone uses optics because they're easier and faster, and the rifle is zeroed for anyone who picks it up, unlike irons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:00:56 AM EDT
I am in the middle of rear area logistics hell right now and every weapon I have seen other than Navy ones sport some type of optic, be it Guard, USAR or regular Army unit. It is really the odd man out if they have a M16A2 here.
Top Top