Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT
Any +'s or -'s to using them in CAR length gas systems?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems here so far.

Although it will take some time to get used to in terms of clearing drills and etc. cause the spring is quite a bit stronger.

I got it primarily to slow down the extraction progress (and speed up feeding), but it also had the effect of quieting the "Sprong" noise everyone hears in a carbine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how they work with the MGI or Enidine buffers? Or in an SBR? Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle short stroked when I got a wolff extra power buffer spring.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My rifle short stroked when I got a wolff extra power buffer spring.

What buffer were you using?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It all depends on your gas system.

If you have a brand new barrel, which may happen to have a minimum diameter gas port, and then you add a heavy buffer and a stronger spring, you may get short stroking.

If your gas port(even if new) is maybe more toward the maximum specs, then it may work fine.

If you use a normal buffer and an extra power spring, it might be ok.
If you use a heavy buffer and a normal spring, it might be ok.

If your barrel has over 1000 rounds thru it, you can probably use both without any worries, because of gas port erosion.

If it works with M193, it might not work with underpowered Wolf.

It is all a balance of tailoring the spring tension and the moving mass, to the power coming from your gas system. All guns are different. You have to "tune" your particular gun, with your particular ammo selections, with the right buffer and spring combo. And it changes over the life of the barrel, as the gas port erodes more open. Especially in a carbine.

Exactly.

I also find that if the stronger spring / heavier buffer combo works it reduces the already small felt recoil of the AR to something less.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Gas port erosion after 1000 rounds,thoght it would take a bit longer than that.I use a regular stock spring..11 years old with a 9mm buffer works great.Dont like to use X power springs in anything but Mags and extractors and ejectors.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one. Don't bother with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have one. Don't bother with it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just put one in my gas piston m4. It works good. It is definately stronger. It slams the bolt into battery much harder. I prefer this because sometimes when charging the rifle the bullet and magazine will hold the bolt up and  not load all of the way. With this spring it eliminates that. My m4 runs well with it and the MGI buffer.
I just installed the wolf spring in my enidine equiped SPR. I have not shot this one yet with this setup. Hopefully it will help with recoil and muzzle rise.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top