Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:15:45 AM EDT
Was wondering if anyone had a thought about the long term storage of wolf ammo?  The treads of the guatemalen ammo got me to thinking.  If that can happen to brass ammo what about wolf?

To me its cheap to shoot and its basically my match ammo.  Want to put some more away, around 10k, in a 20 ft storage comtainer I have out back that I made into a tinker room.  Low Humidity, but it can get cold and hot during the summer.  Dry heat.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically if you keep ammo stored properly it will still be around for your grandkids to shoot. However I don't think I would keep ammo where it gets really hot or cold. I think it's best to keep it where the temperature is constant. You are lucky you live somewhere that's low humidity. Down here it's like a freaking sauna from May to November.

I recently had to find a new place to put my ammo. The new baby took my playroom so I had to find a new place to put all my ammo cans. Instead of putting all my ammo out in my newly-constructed shed, I've got a place in our walk-in closet that's just right for a stack of ammo cans.

You'll get some flak from others here about stashing Wolf ammo, but since you didn't say it was SHTF ammo I say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The Wolf polymer coated ammo will start to rust fairly soon in the presence of moisture.  I had some in my crawlspace in a Rubbermaid bin, which wasn't airtight, and some rounds rusted.  The old lacquered stuff was better in this regard.

If building up a stash of Wolf polymer coated ammo I suggest storing it in ammo cans or similar airtight containers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Think about all the other surplus ammo we come across and shoot.  Stuff from the 1950's, 1940's even.  Its all shiny and shoots okay, if somewhat slower.

It was stored properly.  In airtight cans.  Probably in a basement, bunker, or warehouse where the temperature was fairly constant, but you never know.

This Gautamalan 223 seems to be the exception to the rule.  I suspect it was flooded (duh), and also that the plastic used in the battle packs is slightly moisture permeable, allowing vapor in which condensed on the bottoms of the rounds (however they were laying).

Your Wolf should be okay if you put it in airtight containers, toss in a dessicant pack, and also consider a little bag of sacrificial iron filings to soak up the remaining oxygen in the box.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Your Wolf should be okay if you put it in airtight containers, toss in a dessicant pack, and also consider a little bag of sacrificial iron filings to soak up the remaining oxygen in the box.

I recall a post on the old AK-47.net when the poster shot some three year old Wolf and got inconsistent results. I'll see if I can find it, but the consenus then was that Wolf sucks for storage.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]

What about buying wolf in this condition, tin cans?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Afternoon All

Like the majority of people say on this and other forums preparation is the key to preservation.    I like to keep my ammo in US ammo cans with some dessicant (sp) packs.  For my SHTF ammo I generally seal them up in vacu paks that I make out of 3 mil plastic  with a dessicant (sp) sealed in too.   Then these paks go into a ammo can like the rest.

Keep the storage temperature fairly constant if you can.

I had a friend of mine who sealed everything up in vacu paks and then put them into a surplus mortar tube  then buried it.  Now thats storage!  Thing is I never did ask him how he was going to get to it if he really needed it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Moisture kills.

High temps kill.

Rapid temperature swings kill.

Oxidation kills.

Keep those away from your ammo as much as possible, and you have nothing to worry about.

I just found an inside closet that I lined a back wall with ammo boxes.  that cakes care of all 4 above.... unless my house burns down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Wolf polymer coated ammo will start to rust fairly soon in the presence of moisture.  I had some in my crawlspace in a Rubbermaid bin, which wasn't airtight, and some rounds rusted.  The old lacquered stuff was better in this regard.

If building up a stash of Wolf polymer coated ammo I suggest storing it in ammo cans or similar airtight containers.

For those of you that remember the old steel cased 5.56 ammo from S&B, that came packed lose in 140 Rd. cardboard boxes, I still have roughly 1,900 rds left of this stuff, packed away in ammo cans. I
purchased this stuff about 10 years ago, and occasionally pull a few rds. out to test, and guess what?
The case are not covered in rust, and it still fires like it was made yesterday. You know what the best
part about all of this is, my AR's never knew the difference.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
WOLF WOULD MAKE GREAT LONG TERM STORAGE!

I have shot steel cased Berdan from the 60`s

and Shot 45acp in the 40`s
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve still got a the remains of a bruise on my shoulder from firing a bunch of Turkish 8mm that was made in 1935 and some Yugoslavian 8mm from the 1950s. All rounds went bang and my shoulder says they were full power. I don’t have any reason to believe that Wolf is using some magic powder formula that’s going to somehow degrade faster than all other ammo.

If you buy some of that Wolf in the sealed tins and store it in an air conditioned environment then your great grandkids will be posting here in 70 year asking “Will some old Wolf hurt my AR.” And the answer will still be “no.”
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you buy some of that Wolf in the sealed tins and store it in an air conditioned environment then your great grandkids will be posting here in 70 years asking “Will some old Wolf hurt my AR.” And the answer will still be “no.”

Shoot Wolf and invest the difference.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top