Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2003 4:03:46 PM EDT
I am new to the AR15 world and I am looking for some good reliable ammo that is accurate and won`t be hurt my AR, a friend at work showed me the Wolf ammo in Cheaper Than Dirt and said it was real good! What do you think? And also , what is the best to shoot?
Thanks! crinkler
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were you I'd hold out a few more weeks and see if the new batch of South African military surplus makes it to our shores. It's pretty cheap and I'd rate it quite a bit better than Wolf. There's a lot of people here who use Wolf and like it, but there have also been those who have had poor luck with it. I usually just buy some type of M193 as I have had great luck with it. It may cost me a few more dollars to get it, but personally I feel the extra expense is worth it.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Until you can find better, Wally World has Remington UMC and Winchester 223 FMJ at a decent price. Good for plinking. Then be on the lookout for XM193 and Q3131A for the "Good Stuff". HTH, good luck.

6 AR's and 0 Wolf.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the search function, many Wolf postings.

Just went thru 600 rounds of Wolf this weekend plinking.  Good time was had by all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf isn't the cleanest or most accurate ammo, but its cheap plinking ammo.  I've never had any problems shooting it through my ar.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=161965[/url] is a thread and poll on Wolf.  You will find the results interesting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Sheesh, you'd think we'd have a sticky by now which discusses everyone's luck with various brands of ammo. It'd be great to see the failure rate attributed to various ammo in a poll which prospective newbies can just refer to.

Short and skinny: Wolf is cheapest, but also not the most accurate. It's possible it may not run well in *your* AR, so buy 1 couple of boxes and find out. Use it for plinking, and get M193-spec ammo for serious work.

Winchester Q3131A can usually be found for $170-180 at gunshows, and LC XM193 for a little more. Sportsman's guide has the case of LC for $180. Anything less than $3.50/box of 20 for M193 is generally acceptable, but you have to catch it on sale for it to be much cheaper. South African Battlepacks are M193 spec, but those are 20 years old and not as accurate, but pretty darn cheap. Availability is poor; Sportsman's Guide already sold out of the preorders. Like Charging Handle said - let's hope more comes ashore.

I keep a stash of Q3131A and XM193, and plink with Russkie ammo. If I ever have a malfunction with the ComBloc ammo, I'll reevaluate based on the severity of the failure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The last time I shot up a bunch of Wolf the smoke blew at me.  When I got home the wife asked if a tomcat had gotten in and pissed in the house.

Seriously.   It smells that bad.

Other than that it is underpowered, but not bad stuff if your gun likes it.  Some say the steel cases will wear your gun out; I don't see the mechanism myself.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
try 200 or 300 rounds of wolf and see if your rifle will digest it with no problems. i have been through 8 cases of wolf and on the last case had a stuck case in the chamber, easy enough to pop out with a cleaning rod. that is the only failure ive had with wolf, 1 out of 8800 rounds. i still shoot wolf because its cheap and kills the pop cans and various other household objects as good as anything else. i do have some quality ammo that i use for accuracy shooting and have some squirrel'd away for house defense and stuff. try it for yourself and make your own mind.
my rifle shows no more wear than my friends and he shoots nothing but brass cased ammo(he can afford it).
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
How bout trying a box or two of wolf.  Don't go out and buy 200 rounds.  I bought two boxes b/c I was is the same predicament you are.  I could not get the shit to cycle without a failure to eject every two or three rounds.  I'm sorry but I'll stick to my Q3131A.

82nd Airborne
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Wolf has ran fine for me. 3000 rounds through a SS hbar bushy and another 2k through my bushmaster m4. Cheaper than dirt sucks now on shipping i would check out [url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url] or [url]www.centerfiresystems.com[/url] .The cheaper the ammo the more your going to be shooting. Unless your rich of course.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How bout trying a box or two of wolf.  Don't go out and buy 200 rounds.  I bought two boxes b/c I was is the same predicament you are.  I could not get the shit to cycle without a failure to eject every two or three rounds.  I'm sorry but I'll stick to my Q3131A.

82nd Airborne
View Quote

Did the Wolf you used have the red sealant around the neck/bullet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 500 rounds of Wolf HP and fired half of it in May through my only-fired-once-before 20" HBAR Bushy.  Not a single problem.  Fired federal and Winchester same day, couldn't tell any difference accuracy wise either.  I do not believe that the cartridges had any red sealant around the neck but there did seem to be some around the primers.  After the Army Reserves and rifle teams I clean after every firing anyway, maybe it just takes a little longer with the Wolf, but as cheap as I am, the Wolf makes me that much more willing to fire as quickly as the range permits.  Good advice above was to just buy 40 rounds and see.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How bout trying a box or two of wolf.  Don't go out and buy 200 rounds.  
View Quote

20 to 40 rounds isnt a statisticly relevant sample. You gotta get the rifle hot & dirty to have any idea how the ammo really runs. Try at least 500 rounds before you pass judgment, 1000 rounds preferably.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
As I've said consistently, I love the stuff.  It works for me in both my Bushy and Eagle arms.  Both are 5.56 chambers.  Bushy is chrome lined, the eagle isn't.  In either case I'm aware that some non chrome chambers had problems with the red bullet sealant.  This has been corrected by wolf.  I shoot about 5k rounds of wolf yearly through these rifles with no ill effect and lots of joy.  The only other ammo I shoot is our department's black hills duty ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot Wolf in every gun that I own, and that Wolf makes ammo for. I use the money I save to buy all the other goodies that I want. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
well, i let someone borrow my AR for a weekend and he thanked me w/ 100 rds of WOLF LOL.  

Recently i went plinking and decided to fire it through my Oly.  I had 1 cycling failure in the 100 rounds i fired.

Now, i have never shot anything but Lake City through my Oly since day 1 and have NEVER had a cycling failure.  Granted, I have only fired about 2,000 rouds so far.

I noticed that the WOLF is nowhere near as accurate as i would like it to be.  the LC is very accurate.  I havent noticed any extra fouling with the WOLF, but hey, its only been 100 rounds.

In my case, I dont fire enough rounds off duty to justify using what is viewed as "crappy ammo." So i choose to run good ammo through my personal rifles.  Now, if you plan on shooting as much as some people here and YOU have to pay for ammo....I can understand firing cheap stuff like WOLF.  As always>> clean your weapon thoroughly and use whats best for you and your situation.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top