Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 11:32:00 PM EDT
I want to buy some cheap (inexpensive) ammo for my AR. I see some people talk shit about wolf, only it seems some people don't know first-hand. So please, tell me if it is a good choice to shoot though my AR.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Well let me start by referring you to: www.ammo-oracle.com
if you havent been there already. Plenty of good info on all sorts of ammo questions.
Also you should look at Ammo forum w/ lots more info.

From my own personal experience w/ Wolf in my Bushy 16": It seemed to function OK in my rifle. Having said that, it did not function well in my friends 20". Not sure why. I no longer use the stuff as the cost savings just aren't worth it to me. Will it function in YOUR rifle? Only shooting an appreciable ammount in it will let you know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy some and give it a try. I just had a serious jam in my Ar with wolf( the only time this has happened lately), maybe just coincidence.
It feeds and ejects well from my 20 inch.
Accuracy is lacking to say the least. I think I could do just as good by throwing rocks.
Your rifle might like it. I would first buy a small amount and give it a try.
My rifle prefers SA surplus for a cheap plinking ammo, it is a lot more accurate in my rifle
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
i have had 2 rounds with bad primers, they did not fire when the pin hit em, but i have fired at least 15-20 cases of wolf ammo from a lot of my ar's, and have had no problems, so no matter what those people say about using cheap ammo, forget it, and the coating on the cases has never built up and caused a jam in any of my rifles, even under sustained fire with the barrel red hot on an ar that i had at bulletfest, the barrel was NOT chrome lined, and we bump fired a whole case of wolf at bulletfest, and then a whole case of israeli surplus, bot one single hiccup
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have shot Wolf in my Ruger Mini-14, several hundred rounds without a hitch, accuracy was ok, although point of impact changed quite a bit when I changed to American Eagle by Federal.
I just shot 20 rounds through my brand new Oly PCR-7, and it shot fine, although I don't know how accurate as I was just shooting to shoot.
I have shot 500 or so rounds of 9mm stuff through my Ruger P 89 handgun without any problems, the sealer at the primer and the laquer coating comes off and makes for extra cleaning, leaves little flakes all through the action.

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a case of it.  Has worked ok in my Colts, but I got a case badly stuck in the chamber of a Carbon-15.  I will finish shooting it up, but I will not be buying any more.  Watch-Six  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf in my M16's and haven't had a problem.  The accuracy isn't great, but for cheap blasting ammo, I have no problem with it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a couple cases of Wolf and here is my experience.

-It is not very accurate. The accuracy is fine for plinking but don't try to sight in a rifle at 100 yards with it.

-It is very dirty. I don't enjoy cleaning the red junk out of the bolt.

-I have, however not had any feeding or reliability problems with the two cases that I have shot.

I will probably not by it again for my ARs because I prefer cleaner and more accurate ammo. But the price is right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]

I use it.
It will either work in your rifle or it won't. Try a few boxes and see.
BTW, I probably wouldn't use it if I had to pay shipping on case lots, but it's always plentiful at the shows.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used it in my Armalite M15A2.  After the rifle heated up (couple of clips) I had one stick in the chamber.  I had to wait about 15 - 20 minutes till it cooled down to extract the case.  I think it was the laquor that caused the problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have fired about 10,000 rounds, almost all full auto from various AK's and had no problems.  In the M16's, the Wolf ammo would not cycle the bolt carrier with all uppers, unless the gas port was opened up a bit.  Other than the ammo being slightly underpowered, it runs fine.

I tested the "laquer" problem and hammered a bunch of 40 round dumps and it finally stuck a round about half way through the 4th 40rd magazine.  That is pretty abusive though.....

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried a case of the 62Gn. I had several failures to extract after a couple hundred rounds from my Colt Sporter Competition HBAR.

My friend had failures to extract in his FNC with the 55Gn Wolf.

Both rifles run fine on M193.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a tight ass so I by what's on sale or cheapest.

I shoot Wolf (or whatever) in .223 hollowpoint and FMJ in a SP1 and in a Cavarms/BM Dissipator frankengun.  I've shot 7.62x39 in my SKS, 9mm FMJ in a carbine, and .45 FMJ in my USP.  
Never had a problem.  

But if your worried it's cheap enough to buy a couple of boxes and give it a whirl.  If it works, good.  If it doesn't you're out $10 and know what your weapon is capable of digesting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used several diffrent Wolf callibers. In .223 the wolf works. while not well; it dose what it sets out to do. It is not accurate at all and for the price I would prefer to shoot SA through my 900 buck AR-15. I've used there 7.62x39 too. Id have no probs feeding it to an SKS or AK but never to my AR. At least never again.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a thousand rounds of it and it worked fine, then I started listening to the "Wolf sucks your an ahole if you use Wolf" crowd, I'm going back to using it......I'm cheap!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top