Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2002 5:49:31 AM EDT
Took the AK's out a week or so ago. I have 50 cal ammo cans full of Wolf 7.62x39. When I load it into the mags, I always load it with the bullet pointing away from, me, and just glance at the rear of the cartridge. I do this with all of my ammo, factory and reloads. I have over the years, spotted an upside down primer, or no primer. Don't want this round in the mag in competition. Anyway, it's just a habit.

Here is a Wolf 7.62x39 round, and you can clearly see that the one on the right has no primer in it. It does have powder, and it trickles out the flash holes a little. The bullet is sealed with the red sealant that Wolf puts on their ammo, and inside the primer pocket, the red sealant is there, and has some powder grains sealed under it. Of the many thousands of rounds of this ammo that I have fired, this is the only one that I have found a problem with. Went back through all of the ammo that I had bulk dumped in the ammo cans, and no more had this problem. Probably a 1 in a few hundred K or million.

This is posted as information only, not Wolf bashing. I have found on rare occasions American factory ammo defects in my 30+ years of shooting. Just back then, we didn't have digital cameras, and Al Gore was still a few years away from inventing the inernet so we could post pictures. It is rare, but you do find a bad one every now and then. Just a reminder that we all need to check all ammo that we use, especially for defense. It would have been a tough situation if I had been loading in dim light, and was relying on this ammo for defense.

http://www.bobshuntingpage.com/wolfammo.jpg
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The one factory mistake I've seen that was interesting , was a UMC .45ACP, with the primer crushed in sideways..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for taking the time to post this.  I usually don't pay that much attention until I get some sort of failure.

I think I'll start checking my Wolf 5.45 ammo now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I see this a lot in PMC ammo, and lately Winchester.  For some reason it has always been in large calibers .30-06   -  45-70.  We have started to check each box before putting them out for sale.  Don't fine too many, but customers get real mad when they find it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top