Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:34:04 AM EDT
I am not new to guns but new to my AR. Yes I know there are many threads about Wolf ammo but I am trying to find which one is the most accurate. I have a 1/9 twist on my Bushmaster. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but I am excited. So is which is the most accurate 55gr or 62gr and HP or a FMJ. It will just be general plinking and shooting turtles from about 80 yards. Assume normal conditions in Texas. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site.

I'm not sure which would be more accurate out of your gun.  Would it be possible to buy a box or two of each (55gr, 62gr., HP and FMJ) so you could try them all out?  That way you would know for sure rather than taking everybody elses word for it.  Plus it would be a good chance/excuse to get out with the new gun (oh darn, right?)

Generally I dont use the HP Wolf unless there is absolutely nothing else and I'm itching to buy ammo.  No real reason except if I want cheap blasting ammo I'll use FMJ, if I'm killing critters I'll use a better round, i.e. BlackHills, or Federal HP's.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had better luck w/ the 62gr FMJ's vs the 55's, but probably just my AR.  Do you live close to a Sportsman's Warehouse?  I have seen Wolf .223 there, and you could pickup a box or 2 of each type and try it out.  Usually goes for $2.99/20 rounds, more expensive than mail order but not bad to test for your needs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm no bleeding heart liberal but why would you shoot turtles? Are they considered a pest where you are?

I had a Southpark vision about shooting turtles "they're coming right for us!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm no bleeding heart liberal but why would you shoot turtles? Are they considered a pest where you are?  

If he's anywhere near where I am, and/or fishes.  Yes...

TS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I had a Southpark vision about shooting turtles "they're coming right for us!" hr

Good ol' Uncle Ned and Jimbo from South Park. Yes turtles are "pests" it is one thing for them to eat my fish, but when they give me the shifty eyes, its awn.
-Billy
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My rifle seems to prefer the Wolf 62gr. FMJ as well.If you pull a bullet on the 55gr. and 62gr. to compare,you will also see the difference in the bullet designs.The 62gr. is IMHO a much better bullet.Maybe why it shoots better too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf 62 gr seems to have tighter groupings through my 24" 1/9 twist Bushmaster H-BAR versus 55 gr Wolf. That said, you're not going to get MOA at 100yd using Wolf 223 Remington, expect 3-4 MOA at 100 yd using either weight. Hey, it's cheap plinking ammo. If I wanted sub-MOA defensive ammo I'd get the good stuff and only a few boxes.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top