Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 6:34:54 PM EDT
I know it's not ballestic gelatin but it is all a layman like me has. I used five one gallon anti freeze bottles filled with water. The distance was about 20 feet, the rifle is a DPMS bull barrel upper marked 1x8 .223. The bullet passed thru the first two bottles and in the third bottle the jacket separated from the core. The led core passed thru the 4th bottle and put a dimple in the fifth bottle. I found the lead core laying on the table. Led fragments were in the third and forth bottle. The jacket was in the third bottle. It almost looks as though the bullet performed as a HP but the jacket not being bonded to the lead core let the core travel on as a separate projectile.  

The rifle

The test media

Bottles 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Results

I guess I am surprised that the bullet did kinda act like a HP, however I have no idea how this translates to performance in flesh.
The 75gr ammo runs well in this rifle which does not like any other Wolf. Also it shoots to POI in this AR and my 18in Bushmaster. It is great practice ammo for me.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Great post, looks like fun, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Which wolf is it? wolf black box or wolf gold?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Wolf black box.
The first bottle split at the seams and launched off of the table. The second bottle split at the seams and fell of of the table. The third bottle, the one where the jacket separated from the core. It split the length of the back but stayed on the table. The forth bottle simply had a hole thru and thru from the lead core.
At some point in time I might do the same comparions with 75gr Black Hills just to see what happens. I have to scrounge the dumpster behind the auto repair shop for more bottles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes of course, entry and exit holes and the split on two sides at the mold seam.
In the photo of the bottles above. The one on the left that is laying down is bottle number two. You can see how it split along the edge.

Well when I said that I am kinda surprised I am taking into consideration that this is steel jacket bullet budget priced ammo. I did not expect the bullet to open up at all. The bullet did open at the tip and peel back similar to a normal HP type bullet. I would have preferred that the jacket and core stayed intact but that takes a bonded bullet and we are not paying bonded bullet prices. The bullet passed thru two bottles of water, about six inches and in the third bottle the jacket spearated from the core. There is no way to tell if the bullet opened up in the second bottle or third. Then the core passed thru the fourth bottle completley. So tweleve inches of penetration in water. Now I know this is not ballestic gelatin and the plastic skin of the bottles do not simulate bone but still it did better than plane jane Wolf hard ball and that's not nothing. IMHO
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok since this is important I dug the bottles out of the trash. The entry to bottle 1 is a pencil hole of course so I am not showing that. This is the exit to bottle one

Entry bottle 2

Exit bottle 2

Entry bottle 3

Exit bottle 3

I had to double check my original pic to see that the bottles were all aligned with the cap on the right. The entry and exit on bottle 3 looks odd as though two holes, one for the jacket and one for the core possibly. The exit on bottle 3 is for the core which went thru bottle 4. I did not take a pic of it since the entry and exit are a small pencil hole. The entry hole in bottle 2 is almost large enough to stick my little finger in. It appears that the bullet was opening up significantly after passing thru the first bottle.
So, for SHTF ammo no, but as a backup possibly, as cheap 75gr practice ammo, you bet. What other cheap 75gr ammo is there out there?
But this is only bottles of water, someone needs to shoot a pig with this stuff and report back on that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]
actually, for an inexpensive PRACTICE load with a thick steel jacket which was never intended to deform, that's not bad at all........
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Zhukov, been waiting on those tests haha :) After your last reply about reflooring, I understand the delay. The range trip will be much deserved!

I've seen enough of this round that I now want to try this as my new practice round.

What kind of tests will you be performing when you goto the range? I was gonna try some cardboard boxes filled with hefty bags full of water or even light mud.

Fruit is not reusable, although seeing what a 147gr HST 9mm will do to a cantelope is hilarious. I'm atleast going to test one 75gr TAP round against a cantelope to verify I have two great fruit blasting rounds :)

Brent
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]
For the rifle round the watermelon is the best medium of the fruit family.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
At 20 feet, you should have gotten soaked and the bottles ended up 15 feet away from the table.

Gonna pass on this stuff.  But thanks all the same.  

PS - If a stray raccoon  / hog happens through your yard, another test is in order.

Link Posted: 8/4/2008 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to tie up bundles of catalogs, news papers, etc., set then down in the rain barrel for a couple of days so they could waterlog and then pull them out and shoot them.  Shoot'em 2 or 3 times, cut the strings and observe the "wound channel" as you lay the layers down while workng your way through the stack.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
At 20 feet, you should have gotten soaked and the bottles ended up 15 feet away from the table.

PS - If a stray raccoon  / hog happens through your yard, another test is in order.

I can tell you from personal experience that it'll turn a jack rabbit inside out within fifty yards.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually, that looks pretty underwhelming. That close to the muzzle, and all it did was break into some larger pieces. A true fragmenting bullet would have turned into hundreds of tiny pieces.

I have yet to find the time to do my test. Every weekend has been crazy busy for me. Thanks a bunch for going out and doing this test!

[ETA] What did the holes in the bottles look like?

The bigger problem is that everyone knows that jugs attack in V-formation not in a single line...
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can tell you from personal experience that it'll turn a jack rabbit inside out within fifty yards.  

which is good because i'm MUCH more worried about the rabbit wars than i am about the zombie wars.

i think they have probably had about as much as they can take of us posting pictures of them with pancakes on their heads. not that i can blame them.........
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

which is good because i'm MUCH more worried about the rabbit wars than i am about the zombie wars.

i think they have probably had about as much as they can take of us posting pictures of them with pancakes on their heads. not that i can blame them.........

Ohh come on everyone knows a zombies head compairs to a bunny rabbit in terms of ballistics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hmmm, never shot anything with .223/5.56 at short range that it didn't pass clear through - so why do you expect the bottles to end up 15 feet away?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Well what sometimes happens is that a high velocity round violently displaces water in the jug causing all sides including the bottom to expand out rapidly launching the bottle into the air.
In my case the bottle did launch off of the table but not fifteen feet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have more info on this ammo?  It's has an attactive price for the bullet weight, so I'd like to hear more about it from those that have experience with it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the only ammo so far to group well in my SIG-556 (1-7 barrel).
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anyone have more info on this ammo?  It's has an attactive price for the bullet weight, so I'd like to hear more about it from those that have experience with it.

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=229&Itemid=70
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top