Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/27/2002 10:32:21 AM EDT
I've fired all types of ammo and even Wolf in my 7.62X39. I keep my good stuff for serious shooting but am now looking for a really cheap ammo for just short range plinking and rapid fire. Just bought quite a bit of Wolf 5.56mm. Keeping in mind that I don't plan on shooting this at the range or competition, let me know your opinions or pros and cons.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:40:20 AM EDT
the case laquer will gum in your chamber if you fire a lot of it!

If your gun is a piece of shit anyway, the go for it. If not, I wouldn't recomend it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:54:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2002 11:52:10 AM EDT by Redpoint]
Steel case = Ruined Chamber... The reason your buying this ammo is because its cheap... Unfortunately, that means your going to shoot a lot of it... Bad for your chamber... My understanding, correct me if Im wrong, is that the steel in the cases is just as hard as the steel in your chamber... there fore it ends up taking alot more abuse from every round fired as compared to brass... Another problem is that if the round gets some dirt on it, Its even more detrimental, because instead of the casing "molding" around a spec of sand if you were using brass... The pressure inside the casing causes it to become "harder" then the steel in the chamber... Forcing the chamber to take the damage... Just the way I understand it... Guys let me know if I'm way off in my reasoning...

steel case is fine for AK's and old Nagants... but don't ruin the very tight tolerances in your AR with the cheap shit...

Either way its just bad... Don't shoot it...

Check out the sportsmans guide...

www.sportsmansguide.com

real good pricing on South african .223
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:18:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:55:08 AM EDT
Troy thank you for correcting me... I ment to say chamber where I said bore...
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:35:37 PM EDT
Life is too short to shoot cheap ammo, (at least in an AR). Parsonally, I wouldn't use steel cased ammo in ANY straight walled chamber, including H&K's that have relief cuts in them to aid in extraction. There is way too much surplus out there in the form of SA, Hurt, Swiss, XM193, etc, etc. Damage to the chamber area is eventually going to cause a loss of accuracy, so better ammo = longer barrel life.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:13:14 PM EDT
Well I couldn't stop the order so I guess I got 1,000 rounds of ammo I can't or won't use. I can either save it for WWIII, which is not typical for me or shoot it in my bolt action. Any ideas of what to do with this stuff?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:26:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:47:29 PM EDT
Thanks much guys. Got lucky, my Sportsmansguide membership just expired so they held up my order so I canceled. Thanks much for the input. Show is next month will try then in meantime still have plenty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:53:03 PM EDT
why not just sell it off on Gun Broker??? Sell it in 4 lots of 250 rds... and you'll probably get back more then you paid for it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:34:37 AM EDT
Actually, I've shot several thousand rounds of wolf 223 through my ARs without so much as a hiccup. When one thinks about it, the steel used in the case is softer than the steel used in the chamber of the weapon. Plus, the case is coated so no real steal on steal contact occurs.

As for the lacquer coating on the case. I once loaded up 10/30 round mags and 5/20 round mags with Wolf ammo and shot them in the space of a few minutes. Rifle was a light barreled CAR15. Many of the mags were shot as fast as I could pull the trigger. By 200 rounds the rifle was so hot you couldn't hold it with bare hands. I slipped on leather gloves. At the end of the 400 rounds the rifles couldn't even be held with unlined gloves. No malfunctions, no grimy mess, no coating build up.

I think the melted lacquer thing is either speculation on someones part (like other ammo makers) or urban myth.

I say buy what you are comfortable with. If Wolf makes you uncomfortable, buy something else, buy I think Wolf is good plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:27:42 PM EDT
Urban legend? Humm, very unlikely, Wolf is the worst possible ammo you can put through your weapon. It might be great for AK, but not a good idea in an AR.

I have a friend who shoots nothing but wolf through his Minimi(yikes), but he claims the ammo serve him well. only problem is the lacquer, it gums up the bolt, and the chamber a lot, he just have to clean it more often to keep things rolling. This is also his reason for carrying spare parts when he goes shooting with his Minimi. troy is absolutely correct about wolf, it is not a BS nor urban legend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:05:04 PM EDT
I once got a Wolf case stuck REAL GOOD in a Carbon 15. I have shot it at other times with no problems. I will NEVER buy any more, but I probably will slowly use up the remaining supply that I already have left over from my previous uninformed purchase. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:21:59 PM EDT
Stupid question here but is it possible to clean the lacquer off of the round before shooting, maybe with some brake parts cleaner or acetone and a rag?
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:27:39 AM EDT
I have shot Wolf too and its so inaccurate I wont shoot it anymore. BUT the laquer wont melt. Put an empty case under a flame and see if it "melts" see if it "burns" and then tell me about it. I have never seen the laquer melt nor ignite nor leave a mess in my gun. The primer sealant will be EVERYWHERE though. The people on this board who tell you not to shoot it HAVE NEVER HAD FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with it for the most part so take their advice with a grain of salt.

Wolf has shit for accuracy and shit for terminal ballistics and its not even loaded hot but it IS reliable cheap ammo. Last time I looked in my AK the chamber was clean, not gummy. I have not cleaned that rifle in 500 rounds and its all rapid fire. I have shot wolf in my AR but its only good for 25 yard and under cow patty exploding fun and not shooting golf balls at 25-100 yards.

If you just wanna blast for fun or do CQB trianing its fine ammo. For ANYTHING else buy South African surplus.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 6:07:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Watch-Six:
I once got a Wolf case stuck REAL GOOD in a Carbon 15. I have shot it at other times with no problems. I will NEVER buy any more, but I probably will slowly use up the remaining supply that I already have left over from my previous uninformed purchase. Watch-Six

You must be real sadistic matching a Carbon 15 (in itself very questionable) with Wolf ammo!
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:16:18 PM EDT
I've shot lots of Wolf in my AR15s.

The steel in the cases is very soft steel, otherwise
the cases wouldn't expand to seal the chamber.

The laquer on spent cases isn't scratched through
to the steel showing the steel never came in contact
with the chamber. This shows the idea that the steel
cases are bad for a chamber, particularly a chrome
lined chamber is incorrect.

I've never had a Wolf case stick in the chamber due
to melted laquer and I don't see a build up of it.
However I don't try to see how hot I can get
my rifle with extended rapid fire.

Wolf is rather dirty, after about 600 rounds without
cleaning I experienced malfunctions.

I've found Wolf to be decent cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:02:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
I have shot Wolf too and its so inaccurate I wont shoot it anymore. BUT the laquer wont melt. Put an empty case under a flame and see if it "melts" see if it "burns" and then tell me about it. I have never seen the laquer melt nor ignite nor leave a mess in my gun. The primer sealant will be EVERYWHERE though. The people on this board who tell you not to shoot it HAVE NEVER HAD FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with it for the most part so take their advice with a grain of salt.

Wolf has shit for accuracy and shit for terminal ballistics and its not even loaded hot but it IS reliable cheap ammo. Last time I looked in my AK the chamber was clean, not gummy. I have not cleaned that rifle in 500 rounds and its all rapid fire. I have shot wolf in my AR but its only good for 25 yard and under cow patty exploding fun and not shooting golf balls at 25-100 yards.

If you just wanna blast for fun or do CQB trianing its fine ammo. For ANYTHING else buy South African surplus.

Maybe they mean in class 3 weapons. A full auto weapon fires faster than one can pull the trigger and gets hotter faster. This could be the reason they have the problem.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:09:27 AM EDT
I have shot Wolf and Seller & Bellot ammo and have a ruined Colt 16" CAR barrel for my trouble.
The money saved is NOT worth the trouble of replacing a barrel.
Besides where I live Wolf is $3.95 a box vs. $4.50 a box for Winchester white box (Q3131).
For an extra $.55 I'll shoot the Winchester.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:14:33 AM EDT
This is a never ending story around here, but I am going to contribute again once more.

Plenty of people use Wolf ammo and never have a problem. I would say about 99% of the people who say not to use this ammo have never even tried it, and are just regurgitating the same crap they read from another guy who never tried it. It is a perfectly acceptable choice for practice, or plinking. It isn't meant to be "SHTF ammo" and I wouldn't recommend it for that.

scottfn308, I wouldn't pay the price they are asking for Wolf either. I wouldn't pay anymore then $2.00 a box or so. When you can get ammo for that cheap it is worth IMO.

As far as accuracy goes, I shot these targets several months ago. I fired them from 100yds, with open sights, and from the prone position. There isn't much difference between the 4 choices.

It is your choice in the end what to shoot, but I would recommend that you at least try something before deciding if it is bad or not.
Top Top