Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:50:37 AM EDT
Picked up some 223 ammo at Walmarts for about 40 cents a rnd.  Not bad.  Federal 55gr FMJ brass.

Dyno
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Been lots of posts re:  Wally World ammo lately.  Consider yourself lucky to find a store with some left since it seems most stores have been picked clean.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been lots of posts re:  Wally World ammo lately.  Consider yourself lucky to find a store with some left since it seems most stores have been picked clean.

This one has been now.  They had 5 boxes left and I took'em all.

I am new to 223, I figure the Federal ammo is as good as the PMC brass ammo.  The PMC I can get for 400.00 for 1000 which is also a good price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am new to 223, I figure the Federal ammo is as good as the PMC brass ammo.  The PMC I can get for 400.00 for 1000 which is also a good price.

If you ever get into reloading the PMC will probably be better for your purposes than the Federal (as mfg in the past). Hang onto both brands after you shoot them, but especially the PMC.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you ever get into reloading the PMC will probably be better for your purposes than the Federal (as mfg in the past). Hang onto both brands after you shoot them, but especially the PMC.

What makes PMS superior?

When it comes to reloading Federal... i've actually had good luck reloading primers without taking out the crimp!  I used CCI 400 small rifle primers for 500 rounds.

All went bang, no slam fires or anything other mishaps either
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Saving all my brass.   If I don't get into reloading I figure once fired brass is worth something to someone that reloads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Too expensive for .223. You can find 5.56 on-line cheaper with shipping since you don't have to pay tax.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there something going on at FL Wally-Worlds, or are they all going anti-gun/ammo?

Went to Palm Bay WW yesterday, the ammo shelves were clean, and all they had in the gun-stuff aisle was black powder and toy gun crap.  All the actual "go-bang" stuff was supposedly "out-of-stock" (was looking for CLP) and the pin-head associate blew me off when I asked when some more stuff was coming in.

Went to the Port Orange store today, and all they they had was 3 20-round boxes of Remington .223 for 18 bucks each!  When the ass-clown showed up, I asked if he had any other .223 or if they were going to re-stock, he looked at me like I was friggin Osama binLaden and replied with a "nope", then walked off.

Is this an isolated thing, or some kind of Corporate decision?
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there something going on at FL Wally-Worlds, or are they all going anti-gun/ammo?

Went to Palm Bay WW yesterday, the ammo shelves were clean, and all they had in the gun-stuff aisle was black powder and toy gun crap.  All the actual "go-bang" stuff was supposedly "out-of-stock" (was looking for CLP) and the pin-head associate blew me off when I asked when some more stuff was coming in.

Went to the Port Orange store today, and all they they had was 3 20-round boxes of Remington .223 for 18 bucks each!  When the ass-clown showed up, I asked if he had any other .223 or if they were going to re-stock, he looked at me like I was friggin Osama binLaden and replied with a "nope", then walked off.

Same down in Broward county. WTF?

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Norther Va WM's NEVER have 5.56, just the over priced Remington 223.  And this is a gun-friendly state.  The ONLY thing I ever buy at a WalMart is .22 and 9mm bulk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been in a PA Wally three times this week. Other than having WWB 9mm and .45 ACP in the bulk boxes they have very little .223 and nothing that is marked 5.56.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Last time I was in Wal-Mart, all they had were some different shotgun shells, a few 20 rds of 223 and some 22. The shelves were bare bone. Anyways online is cheaper, even after shipping. Plus no tax.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What makes PMS superior?

When it comes to reloading Federal... i've actually had good luck reloading primers without taking out the crimp!  I used CCI 400 small rifle primers for 500 rounds.

All went bang, no slam fires or anything other mishaps either

In the past the gripe with Federal RIFLE brass is that it does not give as many reloads as other brands before the primer pockets get too loose or the necks split.

If I had to purchase Lake City, Winchester or Federal brass I would choose the first two. I wouldn't decline to pick up Federal brass off the ground, however.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I partook yesterday!
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a range trip last month and was waiting for my reloading components to come in and needed some ammo. Picked up 3 boxes of the Federal marked .223 100rd. value packs.

All of the ones I had bought previously was FC brass but these three boxes were all LC 08 brass, not a bad find.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I had been buying from Cabelas while they were running Christmas discounts of $20 and $30 off each order and while their prices were still low.  

I have an order in with AIM for another 2000 rds of .223 at 179.95 per 500 with decent metal ammo boxes but who knows when it will show up.  I believe the AIM rounds are bulk Centurion brand and the first batch seemed pretty nice.  My cost between Cabelas and AIM has been about $0.35 per round so far.

I've also been loading up on 9mm at about $0.23 per round UMC through Cabelas.

Dick's had good prices in in late fall with Remington .223 at $6.98 per 20 and 9mm at $7.98 per 50 but those days are gone.  Prices are up and supply is usually gone.

Just today I bought 5000+ rds of .22lr at Walmart for $16.97 for the 550 box of Remington and $12.67 for 500 of the Winchester.  Bought some of each to try out.

Big question for me right now is the status of AIM Surplus and where are prices going to go?  AIM website is down.

Seems like Obama and Congress are going to be too busy to deal with ammo and guns for a while.  Also seems like the manufacturers would be running extra shifts, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Correction, the AIM price was $10 bucks less for .223.  It was $169.95 for 500.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
What does the terminal performance of this stuff look like?  Does it fragment?  Is it any good for self defense?  I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but I haven't found it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#18]
The Wal-Marts around the Albany, NY area have all now stoped selling guns.   Most don't stock much in ammo.   Only one had a large stock of target shotgun ammo federal value packs.   I was suprised to see the 223 federal value packs, that's why I bought the five they had.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Consider yourself lucky to find a store with some left since it seems most stores have been picked clean.

Kind of funny you say that. I stopped by my local wally world today to get some Blazer Brass 9mm ($8.97 for 50 ain't bad these days) and saw these Federal value packs. I hadn't heard of or seen them before so asked for a price and to check out a box.

The guy told me they were $39.97 and informed me if I wanted any, I better buy it now because it they were flying off the shelves. I had to stop for a moment and do they math? Didn't seem like anything special price wise to me considering the last case of XM193 I got a week or so was cheaper but they guy insisted it was a good price. OK, whatever.

The funny part was he told me that somebody came in earlier and was going to be all cocky and buy all they had. After the guy rang it all up, it came to $3300 and apparently the would be buyer freaked out and didn't buy any of it!

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What does the terminal performance of this stuff look like?  Does it fragment?  Is it any good for self defense?  I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but I haven't found it.

I wouldnt use it for defense.   Buy some 5.56 loadings for that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Does this ammo now have LC cases?
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I just wish I  actually had a local Walmart to buy ammo at, I live in Philly and no ammo sales, Jersey is only 10 minutes away and no ammo sales at any NJ stores.  I have to drive almost an hour with the philly traffic to find a walmart to buy ammo at, it sucks, damn liberals!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#23]
It's in Fed Cartridge brass cases (made in the same plant) but marked FC 223 REM on the case...not 556 and of course no cross.

I stopped in a Tampa WM this week and noticed bare shelves and signs all over stating "No Ammunition Returns".
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The Wal-Mart near my dad's house is keeping all of their guns and ammunition, the one near me quit selling guns two years ago and has a somewhat limited supply of ammo year-round, the only time they have good amounts of any kind of shotgun ammo is September-January.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got back from my local Super Wallyville just a few minutes ago..

The shelves had been picked clean of pretty much everything except for shotgun shells. So I just had to ask the salesperson if he knew when they would be expecting more ammo to arrive. He looks at me, turns around and grabs these sheets of paper that were hanging on a hook behind him.

"Well, the truck from our warehouse in California just showed up a few minutes ago. They are unloading it right now."

"Do you know if they have ammo on this truck?" I replied.

"I am looking at our ammo inventory here on this sheet. It says we've got .22LR, .223, 9mm, and a bunch of other goodies on it. It's probably buried back there since they usually load it toward the front of the trailer..."

"Is there anyway you can check?"

"Yeah, I can go take a look. But I have to go find the manager. He has to scan it seperately. It's Walmart policy with ammo. They don't want it leaving mysteriously out the back door, " as he chuckled.

So off he heads to the back. Fifteen minutes later he comes peeling around the corner with a shopping cart full of brown cardboard boxes.  "Look at what I got!"

I couldn't help but smile..

"I've 12 of these 100 round ValuePack boxes of Federal .223. Several boxes of these Blazer Brass 9mm. Some .45 ACP, .40S&W, small boxes of shotgun shells, and a whole slew of hunting rounds," as he starts slicing open boxes. "What do you want?"

I walked out with all of their 9mm Blazer Brass and some more Federal .223...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn,

I thought that 100 round pack of Federal at Wal-Mart was the best kept secret here in Phoenix. I never tell any of my friends about that and buy it all off the shelf everytime I see that they have it haha. Thanks for telling everybody about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Last time I checked, the Remington 20rd boxes were selling for $9.50+ each.  The fact that the prices are about double now seems odd.  WalMart is not setup to gouge...they buy at a predefined price, and sell at a predefined price.  The empty slot at my WalMart where those boxes would go were still $9.50+ the other day.  Not sure why they have doubled in your neck of the woods.  Maybe when mine restocks, the prices will be adjusted.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#28]
SE Texas, Golden Triangle, Beaumont Super WalMart had a dozen boxes of Federal, .223. 100rnd "Value Packs" as of last Friday night.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine sells out of it as fast as they can get it in.....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top