Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/24/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
for my birthday I had received a UTG free float rail finally got the tools I needed and got everything taken apart and when I finally got the factory barrel nut off to put on my UTG barrel nut it doesn't fit...

shame on me for not knowing this about my own AR but the site to Windham weaponry states that the barrel nut since it is carbon fiber had to be beefed up for durability and traditional ar 15 barrel nuts will not fit.

am I totally screwed right now?
I think my only option is to buy a new upper receiver. I'm also worried that if I buy a new upper receiver somehow it won't fit to the carbon fiber lower.

anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:48:41 PM EDT
Call Eric at WW on Monday or post in their industry section. They are very good at getting back to their customers. Keep in mind they all just got back from SHOT so they will be playing catch up. And don't spend all day on the phone with them. They are changing out a barrel for me and I need my rifle back
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2015 12:53:50 PM EDT by rpmstl]

Copied from WW's newsletter.

FROM THE GUNSMITH'S BENCH

Important information regarding Barrel Nuts and Barrel Removal for our Carbon Fiber Rifles:

I've had a few customers call me since we introduced the Carbon Fiber rifles saying they were trying to install a free float handguard and the barrel nut would not fit on the upper receiver. The barrel nut on our Carbon Fiber rifles has a different diameter thread than a standard AR15 barrel nut. This area of the Carbon Fiber upper was beefed up to make this critical area stronger. In so doing it was necessary for us to increase the size of the threaded area and therefore change the thread on the barrel nut to fit this. The outside dimensions of the barrel nut are exactly the same as a standard barrel nut. Only the inside diameter and thread of the barrel nut was changed. Any carbine length free float handguard that is designed to work on a standard AR15 barrel nut will work fine, but no free float handguards that require the change of the barrel nut will work.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2015 1:07:00 PM EDT by PopGunner]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rpmstl:

View Quote

Important information regarding Barrel Nuts and Barrel Removal for our Carbon Fiber Rifles:

I've had a few customers call me since we introduced the Carbon Fiber rifles saying they were trying to install a free float handguard and the barrel nut would not fit on the upper receiver. The barrel nut on our Carbon Fiber rifles has a different diameter thread than a standard AR15 barrel nut. This area of the Carbon Fiber upper was beefed up to make this critical area stronger. In so doing it was necessary for us to increase the size of the threaded area and therefore change the thread on the barrel nut to fit this. The outside dimensions of the barrel nut are exactly the same as a standard barrel nut. Only the inside diameter and thread of the barrel nut was changed. Any carbine length free float handguard that is designed to work on a standard AR15 barrel nut will work fine, but no free float handguards that require the change of the barrel nut will work.

OP....send the UTG back for refund....purchase a Troy Alpha or VTAC rail (or some other manufacturer that utilizes the Mil-spec barrel nut).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:34:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PopGunner:

[div style='font-family: Times; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;']

OP....send the UTG back for refund....purchase a Troy Alpha or VTAC rail (or some other manufacturer that utilizes the Mil-spec barrel nut).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PopGunner:
Originally Posted By rpmstl:

well the free float rail was purchased well towards the end of November 2014 do you think they would still accept the return almost two months later?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2015 1:42:34 PM EDT by Brandonx1]
Originally Posted By tbougie1:
Call Eric at WW on Monday or post in their industry section. They are very good at getting back to their customers. Keep in mind they all just got back from SHOT so they will be playing catch up. And don't spend all day on the phone with them. They are changing out a barrel for me and I need my rifle back
View Quote

well I don't know what they would do to help me out considering it states on their website that it won't work with traditional AR 15 barrel nuts. I have heard Windham weaponry is very good with customer service so I guess I would have nothing to lose by asking about it because even if I do end up buying an upper receiver they would be able to tell me if icould fit and aluminum receiver on top of their carbon fiber lower!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
I would hope so. Not a fan of anything UTG, and I would go to the advisement of the others in here and install a standard BN and FF rail.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:03:47 PM EDT
Throw the UTG rail aside and save for a future build or put it up on the EE and take a loss.

Since you already have it you now have an excuse to start a new build.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:08:34 PM EDT
UTG is garbage...unfortunately, as they say..."you get what you pay for" !
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:27:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TXGUNNER308:
UTG is garbage...unfortunately, as they say..."you get what you pay for" !
View Quote

I don't own one but the UTG Pro rails are considered GTG.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:39:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Brandonx1:

well I don't know what they would do to help me out considering it states on their website that it won't work with traditional AR 15 barrel nuts. I have heard Windham weaponry is very good with customer service so I guess I would have nothing to lose by asking about it because even if I do end up buying an upper receiver they would be able to tell me if icould fit and aluminum receiver on top of their carbon fiber lower!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tbougie1:

So suck it up, buy a part that fits and get on with your life. Christ, we are talking a couple of hundred bucks. Sell it on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:17:21 PM EDT
With the price of AR's right now, why would you buy a carbon fiber one?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:22:04 PM EDT
Sorry, OP. You have walked into a minefield with an upgrade issue on a plastic upper, with a UTG part.

You could take the opportunity to buy a stripped upper and put that barrel in it with a milspec barrel nut to support your new handguard. It would be a solid upgrade for you. Reasonable prices to be had on stripped uppers right now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
Sorry, OP. You have walked into a minefield with an upgrade issue on a plastic upper, with a UTG part.

You could take the opportunity to buy a stripped upper and put that barrel in it with a milspec barrel nut to support your new handguard. It would be a solid upgrade for you. Reasonable prices to be had on stripped uppers right now.
View Quote
This^^^^^^is what I would do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:03:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

View Quote

you're the man! I asked for advice on what I should do and I think you've given me the best result. worst case scenario I buy a new upper and lower and then I can use the carbon fiber on my next build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:05:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bucko1975:
Throw the UTG rail aside and save for a future build or put it up on the EE and take a loss.

Since you already have it you now have an excuse to start a new build.
View Quote

I do like the idea of another build. Unfortunately I am NOT one who starts several projects at once. I need to finish my first build before I begin another.

I am new to this forum so forgive me for being a noob, but what is EE?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:11:23 PM EDT
I'm probably the noobiest noob on this site, but please for god sake tell me what you mean by GTG. It's driving me nuts!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:28:09 PM EDT
EE= equipment exchange. Upper right hand corner, orange button. It's where we buy and sell stuff to each other.

GTG= good to go
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:02:21 PM EDT
I'm probably the noobiest noob on this site, but please for god sake tell me what you mean by GTG. It's driving me nuts!!
View Quote
Don't feel like you are alone....I had to use this too when I started out here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_169/560217_Acronyms_and_Abbreviations_in_common_use_on_AR15_com.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:03:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bdawg998:
EE= equipment exchange. Upper right hand corner, orange button. It's where we buy and sell stuff to each other.

GTG= good to go
View Quote

Thank you. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:54 PM EDT
Thank you guys for all the help.
I've decided to buy a stripped upper considering I'm so scared of damaging the carbon fiber upper.
This site rocks. Glad I joined up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:22:03 AM EDT
Waaaiiitttt!!! I had the same issue w/ mine, when I bought a new BCM KMR. Took it to my gunsmith and we measured the upper and found it was like 0.030" bigger than normal (probably due to it being carbon fiber and needing extra beef.) He wasn't sweating it and told me not to either. He bored out the new barrel nut, rerhreaded it, and shit went together like a champ. Came out solid and looks sick as all hell IMO.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/montdiesel/64C97169-5EFB-4C25-B2AD-5D0EEEC500D3.jpg
Top Top