Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:39:46 PM EDT
I just picked up an ammo can from a local who first told me it was the UAE "Addcomm" SS109 based on the markings on the outside of the ammo can.  Figured his price was very low and would make good plinking ammo, if not good enought for S.H.T.F. ammo

When I started looking through the ammo, I was suprised to see that it was all headstamped WCC /  '88  / NATO cross marked.  It has the green tip to indicate M855 AP.

The Big Question - Was Winchester making M855 ammo in '88?  What I see in front of me says "yes", but just want to make sure this is not some reload with tips dipped green.

Thanks All

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no so to speak.  When I was in the service in the 80's, they hadn't actually classified the ammo we were using for the M249s as m855.  We were using a nato cartridge designated SS109, which is basically the same thing, it definately had the green tip and definately had the nato cross on the bottom, seem to recall the ammo cans holding the 200rd mags being printed in 2 languages as well, can't swear to mfg headstamp though..  M855 is just the U.S. nomenclature name for the NATO SS109 IIRC..

ETA reread your question and I didn't come even remotely close to answering your question,, my appologies..

John P..
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top