Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2005 3:25:00 AM EDT
I found a cache of ammo that I had completely forgotten about. I had stored several thousand rounds of Winchester white box in our attic. The box is stamped Q3131, headstamp 99. Is this ammo made to M193 specs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I found a cache of ammo that I had completely forgotten about. I had stored several thousand rounds of Winchester white box in our attic. The box is stamped Q3131, headstamp 99. Is this ammo made to M193 specs?

How can you forget about several thousand rounds of win in white box? Thats a lot of ammo to forget about. Anyways, since you forgot about them they must not be important to you. Please send some to me and I will always know where they are...
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Attic storage is not a good idea... Probably got some moisture issues now.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

This is true.  You better send it to me so I can dispose of it properly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I asked the same thing a while back www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=238930
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The ammo was in a storage room that is heated and cooled. No moisture issues. It was stashed in a large military surplus container. I shot several hundred rounds when I first purchased it. I did not notice any quality issues.
I wonder where I could find a list of the defective lot numbers? Winchester?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot about 180 rounds of this type of ammo today.  I was wondering the same thing.  I got it from my PD for practice ammo, it is 99 also.  I must have had some of the over pressure ones.  I had at least 5 rounds that stuck in the chamber and had the lip of the brass ripped off by the extractor.  I was beginning to think that something was wrong with my gun, but I guess I'll chalk it up to bad ammo unless I have problems with other ammo.  I also noticed a lot of white smoke while shooting this ammo.  
I guess I should get rid of the rest of this ammo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I wonder where I could find a list of the defective lot numbers? Winchester?

Hows this...

As reported by the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site, the potentially "bad" lots have been identified as:

PD50
PD90
PF40
PC22
PG62
PF52
PF11
PL31
PN02
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. All 5,000 rds are lot # PC03.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably issues due to tempature extremes too.

ETA:  Oops, I read down and saw that the guys attic has heat and A/C.  Wow -- must be some house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Can I move into your attic?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot up some '99  lot PF40 today and have been intermittently shooting it since '99.  I have gone through a couple cases without any major problems, but there are obvious pressure issues.  I don't have my chrono numbers handy, but this lot of Q3131 was running about 100 FPS faster than the other M193 type ammo IIRC.  Here is a pic of a few fired rounds from today (BM 14.5”).  It's somewhat difficult to see, but there are shiny raised areas were brass was shaved off.  These shavings usually find their way under the extractor, but can work their way into the ejector and cause it to bind up.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#14]
What sharp part of the rifle is shaving the brass off like that, do you think?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can also see significant brass flowing into the extractor and ejector cutouts, as well as some cratering of the primer.  Both are classic signs of high pressure.

-Troy

FWIW I've seen the brass markings as pictured above with Canadian C77 ball and occasionally with Federal XM193, both of which are higher pressure loads. I would assume that even with a 5.56 NATO chamber, you would commonly see some cratering and flattening of the primer. The cratering of the primers in that piacture does not appear to be all that bad, but the brass flow is pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What sharp part of the rifle is shaving the brass off like that, do you think?

The brass from the cartidge flows into the gap between the bolt body and the ejector plunger, and also around the extracor, then sometimes shaves off as the action works and the bolt turns.

You can see the same thing in bolt action rifles, and this is what causes a "sticky" or stuck bolt sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top