Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:57:06 PM EDT
Hadta hit walmarts yesterday for some school supplies for my oldest daughter...and since daddy just picked up a new BM A2 M4gery I hit the sporting goods dept. to check out what sorta .223 fodder they had and came across...

"Winchester White Box 40 Rd Value Packs...45grainers Boasting 3,400FPS"

I took a pass but probably shoulda sprung for a box to try out....way I figure (since I usta roll my own years ago)...for win. to use the 45gr bullet and brag on the box in big bold print  "3,400fps!!!"...they must of used a faster burning powder..which to me means this might improve "cycling" in a carbine....then again?...Ftlbs of energy will certainly take a hit but penetration should be right up there.

Whaddaya'll think?....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I took a pass but probably shoulda sprung for a box to try out....way I figure (since I usta roll my own years ago)...for win. to use the 45gr bullet and brag on the box in big bold print  "3,400fps!!!"...they must of used a faster burning powder..which to me means this might improve "cycling" in a carbine....then again?...Ftlbs of energy will certainly take a hit but penetration should be right up there.

Whaddaya'll think?....

I picked up a box at Wally Word recently. I’m going run some through my Oehler chronograph and compare what it does in various barrel lengths. I’ll also shoot for accuracy.

I have 16”, 20” and 24” barrels to run in my test. I’m anxious to see what’s up.

I’m building a 100 yard range at my house. A contractor is supposed to haul me some more dirt to build up the embankment a little higher. I’m kinda at a hold still until he gets here with the dirt.

But, as soon as he does his part, I’ll do mine: sending lead downrange!  

viator
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hadta hit walmarts yesterday for some school supplies for my oldest daughter...and since daddy just picked up a new BM A2 M4gery I hit the sporting goods dept. to check out what sorta .223 fodder they had and came across...

Whaddaya'll think?....

The velocity is probably measured out of a 24" barrel so it will be lower in shorter barreled rifles. No, penetration takes a huge hit, not so much because of velocity but because of bullet construction. it is a lightweight varmint bullet, it does not have enough penetration to reliably reach the vitals on a human aggressor because it it breaks up too quickly(fragmentation is optimal but it must reliably reach 12" which the varmint bullets dont because fragmentation begins too soon and is too dramatic. If you are looking for a defensive round avoid lightweight varmint rounds such as the 40-60 grianers.

XM-193 is a good choice but your best bet woud be the heavier otms(68-77 grain rounds) these have an open tip but are not hollow-point bullets, they are basically full metal jackets but their terminal performance(fragmentation)is much better than the lighter rounds including XM-193. if your rifle will accurately shoot the 75-77 grain bullets you should use them, but if not the 68-69 grain OTMs work fine.

www.ammo-oracle.com  this is a good read on the 5.56 cartridge
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whaddaya'll think?....

Thanks...happy I took a pass...knowing to check here first.

The velocity is probably measured out of a 24" barrel so it will be lower in shorter barreled rifles. No, penetration takes a huge hit, not so much because of velocity but because of bullet construction. it is a lightweight varmint bullet, it does not have enough penetration to reliably reach the vitals on a human aggressor because it it breaks up too quickly(fragmentation is optimal but it must reliably reach 12" which the varmint bullets dont because fragmentation begins too soon and is too dramatic. If you are looking for a defensive round avoid lightweight varmint rounds such as the 40-60 grianers.

XM-193 is a good choice but your best bet woud be the heavier otms(68-77 grain rounds) these have an open tip but are not hollow-point bullets, they are basically full metal jackets but their terminal performance(fragmentation)is much better than the lighter rounds including XM-193. if your rifle will accurately shoot the 75-77 grain bullets you should use them, but if not the 68-69 grain OTMs work fine.

www.ammo-oracle.com  this is a good read on the 5.56 cartridge

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife picked me up a few boxes of Wally-World varmint packs a while back and I had very good luck with them-even in 1/7ROT barrels. While I prefer heavier rounds for defensive use and milspec stuff for practice these little varmint loads have plenty of snap. My 1/9ROT skunk carbine does very well with them, so I'm going to try them on the next skunk that invades my backyard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of my Compass Lake Engineering CMP with a Krieger barrel, they shoot as good as Black Hill's Blue Box 68 gr JHP, i.e. 3/4" @ 100 yds with iron sights.

Bill

ps. they totally penetrate the paper
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I give this ammo the rating of 10 on the "gopher grenade" scale.  

I wouldn't hesitate to ward off a Zombie Ninja attack with this stuff either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a rabbit roughly 25 yards from my pickup with one of these.  It blew a large chunk of him onto the truck.

They work great on varmints IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff for the money . Shoots great out of my SPRMATCH , and it blows up full cola cans very well .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
This stuff also punches fist sized holes in rockchucks.

I went to the local Wal-Mart and asked the guy at the sporting goods counter to find me three boxes with the same lot number. He sorta gave me a funny look, so I held up my right hand and made my trigger finger gesture and said, "Rockchucks fear me," and the dude cracked up laughing and got my ammo for me.

I would not use this stuff for defense, but it is very accurate varmint ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top