Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 2:45:03 AM EDT
Looking to buy in a few months. This will be my first AR 15 purchase. There is so much info on this site that I have been a little overwhelmed. Are the Wilson Combat rifles worth the extra money? I like the Bushmaster and wish I was ready to buy now so I could get in on the group purchase. I know I have alot more research to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:47:33 AM EDT
In my opinion, no. They tend to put options on them you don't really need, and unless you know what they are and what they do, it is a gimmick and a waste of money.

One example is the free float match grade barrel for a "CQB" rifle. You don't need a precision rifle set-up on a relatively short range plinker.

You can find excellent quality ARs for a much lower price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:01:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigt973:
Looking to buy in a few months. This will be my first AR 15 purchase. There is so much info on this site that I have been a little overwhelmed. Are the Wilson Combat rifles worth the extra money? I like the Bushmaster and wish I was ready to buy now so I could get in on the group purchase. I know I have alot more research to do.

Yep

I think conventional ARFcom wisdom - based on many threads asking your similar question - is NO

Granted Wilson Combat uses some upgraded components, but the value is not there (opinion) I think WC targets 1911 customers that are 'new' to the AR world, and have bought into the "Wilson makes the best 1911, so the AR they make must also be better."

I would stick with Bushmaster - or better yet - the Colt LE series, as the latter represents the standard in civilian AR firearms. (note the irony - "LE series is best civilian...")

Without sounding like a company pimp, Colt is the real thing and the others strive to be just as good. (another opinion, but backed up by scores of real world facts).

IX-NA- the WC.

Go Bushmaster or better yet Colt. - and definately the A3 version of either.

(note: you could save hundreds of $, and countless headaches by researching this site for a few days, as it is a wealth of good info on the AR- mixed in with a lot of other info)

HTH

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:26:24 AM EDT
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:56:47 AM EDT
I think it would be hard to go wrong with the Bushie group buy.

There is a small group of people here who have the WC AR15, and they've never been able to come up with something their higher priced carbines will do that any other quality carbine can't.

Some people are stuck on a name, I'm stuck on function.
Top Top