Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:33:53 PM EDT
I just recently purchased my first AR-15.  I did my research, and with my limited knowledge I finally went with the Wilson Combat M-4T.  I then added my goodies...the Vortex flash suppressor, the Trijicon ACOG TA31, and the Surfire M900A.

My question is...did I make a wise decision on the rifle itself.  I know I could have purchased cheapter models that do the same thing, but has anyone had any trouble with Wilson Combat?  So far their customer service has been oustanding.  Just let me know what you think.  You won't hurt my feelings, so be honest.

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]

The Wilson Combat is good quality but I believe you can spec out a better rifle or carbine for a great deal less money.  Purchase a standard upper from Bushmaster and spend some of the money saved on upgrades and in the end you'll have better upper for less money...

With Wilson Combat you pay a premium for the name on it or associated with it... YMMV...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is a Lexus worth the extra 20K?

Not exactly a perfect analogy, but the argument is the same.

Wilson takes extra steps to enhance quality and give the owner comfort and confidence in knowing his weapon is built by skilled craftsmen, with an eye on performance and quality

A great buy as an investment? ..........No

as a high quality AR worthy of the Wilson Combat name? You bet!

Many of the nay-sayers are the same who tout 9 dollar magazines as the shit,  and home-built $500 ARs being - "just as good"

IMHO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested in function over anything else, and I wouldn't pay more simply for a name.  The Wilson should be good function, as well as a good name.  

redfisher-  I would put some of my sub-500 ARs against a wilson without any hesitation. Cheap prices doesn't always mean cheap parts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I think redfish is on to something...you really do get what you pay for.  That's just common sence

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Awsome first AR. Great factory gun backed by a service oriented company. Enjoy it.

Then come back and tell us.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Pictures?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You've already made your purchase, and you seem cozy with your decision. Not much more to say.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Not many people around here have one of these things.  Spend some time with it and give us an evaluation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
If I was going to spend huge money on an AR, I'd rather have a KAC SR15, just me.
Wilson Combat does makes a quality rifle though. All I have heard is that Wilson Combat rifles are very well made with painstaking attention to detail. I'm sure it will be an excellent rifle.

Wilson Combat M-4TAQ Tactical Carbine Model, w/Quad Rail, Armor-Tuff Finish, Black furniture (Includes FET) MSRP:$1884.00  

Knights Armament Corporation SR-15 16" Carbine with M4 RAS  MSRP: $1,575.00 (Impact Guns)

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to post some pictures for you guys...but I don't know how.  Please inform and i'll get those right up.  Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would love to post some pictures for you guys...but I don't know how.  Please inform and i'll get those right up.  Thanks guys!

send them to [email protected] and I would be happy to host and post them for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll send them right over.  Thanks Yellow!

hat
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be waiting
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The picture was sent...I was wondering why I couldn't post them myself?  Is it because I haven't upgraded my account to Team status?  Or am I just ignorant on how to actually do it?  Any help would be great.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The picture was sent...I was wondering why I couldn't post them myself?  Is it because I haven't upgraded my account to Team status?  Or am I just ignorant on how to actually do it?  Any help would be great.  Thanks again.

That would be choice 2

Upload image and post using    [  img]Place Image URL Here[/img  ]    Tags
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If I was going to spend huge money on an AR, I'd rather have a KAC SR15.

Wilson Combat M-4TAQ Tactical Carbine Model, w/Quad Rail, Armor-Tuff Finish, Black furniture (Includes FET) MSRP:$1884.00  
www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/M-4TA_le_2.jpg
Knights Armament Corporation SR-15 16" Carbine with M4 RAS  MSRP: $1,575.00 (Impact Guns)
www.impactguns.com/store/media/kac_98072.jpg

+1000    
Nice rifle regardless
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#19]
In order to post your pictures ou need to have them hosted somewhere. Can you try to resend it. I got a .dat file and cannot open it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya, let's get it on!!!!  I love this topic.

For a guy who can't/won't/doesn't want to build his own and wants a well made, very good looking AND overpriced gun, the Wilson Combat is the way to go.  Or Les Baer for that matter.  You will get a fully functional, nearly flawless rifle from either.  Personally, if someone put me in an armlock and told me I had to spend the money, I'd overpay for a Colt before I got a Wilson.  YMMV.

In my time here, I've come to realize there are two distinct categories of "home built" rifles - there's the ones built on the cheap with questionable parts of unknown origin and there's the others build with quality parts by knowledgable people with the proper tools.  Guess which ones run better????  I'd take one of my builds or Stickman's builds over any factory monkey built or custom shop rifle any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Sent it again...hope it works this time.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet rifle
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn the picture quality went to shit...that was a 7.2 mp camera.  Oh well...thanks a lot for posting it for me.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting choice of rails for that weapon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Interesting choice of rails for that weapon.

Take this FWIW, but I installed one of those rail systems and IMO, it is a POS.  You think YHMs don't want to stay tight????  The only thing holding that rail in place is the knurled locking ring.  At least with the YHM you can get a wrench on it.  Loctite city, there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Damn the picture quality went to shit...that was a 7.2 mp camera.  Oh well...thanks a lot for posting it for me.

That picture you sent me was massive
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't understand all of the abbreviations.  Can you spell it out for me so I know what's going on here.  Should I change something on my gun?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I made the pic better. Stickman and Mongo think you made a bad choice on your rail system. Those guys know their shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL Sorry YellowV

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a rail...what is wrong with it Mongo/Stick?  It seems really tough to me.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#31]
You paid top dollar to own a top weapon, but you ended up with something less than top of the line with the rail.

Like Mongo said, check it once it awhile and make sure it doesn't come loose.  Most people baby their weapons and never really take them out and beat on them like tools, so it probably won't be an issue.  

I just think its very odd that they went with that rail.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
What rail is that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's a rail...what is wrong with it Mongo/Stick?  It seems really tough to me.

Wilson may have something to do with the production of that rail, so they choose it.  I don't know.  For the money, the Daniel Defense, LaRue and Knight's rails are head and shoulders better than that, twice over.

If you aren't a combat or competetive shooter, it will not be an issue.  If you see yourself getting involved in some active shooting, I'd seriously consider changing that rail system.

Who knows, it might do well.  The friction locked rail systems can come loose very easily, especially if not secured with copious amounts of Loctite.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Sweet rifle
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=AR15_small.jpg

Very nice setup.ACOG, Surefire, Vortex. All top of the line stuff. Nice.
YHM is OK stuff but I agree with New-ARguy that Wilson could have upped the ante on the sight/rail HG.
I wouldn't worry about the fore-end/Front sight too much, if they don't work for you, easily upgraded. If they do, then you're all set. Anyway it's a done deal so why worry.
Range report in order once you get to shoot her.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
See, thats sort of the point I was trying to make. If you didnt want to build your own, you could have paid one of the boards builders to build you a top quality upper for roughly the same price. The would have used better quality parts. the Yankee Hill front sight is not a bad sight, but it is not the sight I would expect to see on a high end custom made rifle like that. Same for the rail.

Had you gone to someone like MSTN, you would have gotten an upper made with a forend made by LaRue, Daniel Defense or Knights Armament, the front sight would have been PRI or Troy. Rear sight would have been Knights, Matech, or Troy. Barrel would have been Lilja, Douglas or Krieger, or a quality chrome lined if you choose. All better quality parts than what Wilson Combat used. Price would have been pretty similar I bet. Maybe even less.

Im disapointed to see YHM parts on such an expensive gun.

Ditto.

And Wilson also uses the non-milspec buffer tube and stock that just bugs the living shit out of  me!  If you ever want to upgrade to a VLTOR or LMT SOCOM (Crane), then you'll need to buy a new tube.  The fact that anyone breaks from milspec on this part drives me crazy!

Wilson uses a crappy rail.  Do yourself a favor and spend another (I know it's hard to do that after you've just spent the money on that upper) $250 on a LaRue rail.

You should've gone with MSTN, ADCO, Denny, Bravo Company, etc.  dude....

I'd never buy a Wilson Combat AR15.

Corey

PS  Now, if you're talking 1911, I'd be all over it.  In fact, I have one on me as I type this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I like Wilson's myself , no matter what the nay sayers claim .
The fit and finish is top notch , the JP triggers are light
and crisp and there is no wobble between the upper and
lower .  As for the rails or float tubes . Mine are still
tight even with a VFG and hard use during 3 gun matches
and a Tactical carbine class .

Sure you can argue that the barrels are 1-9 and not chrome lined
but you can't argue with their accuracy with all but the heaviest
bullets .  Even then it's debatable .

Then you have " List Price "  which should really be called
suggested price because street price is always less .
I know the two I have were significantly less when
the money changed hands .

If your happy with the weapon and it does what you ask of it
then ya did good . Like I said , I like mine

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, i'm happy so that's all that matters.  I just wanted a little input.  I got what I was looking for.  One good thing about buying a pre-built weapon is that if I have problems...it's Wilson's problem not mine.  I've messed around with that rail and unless I drive over it with a car it's not comming loose.  Maybe I'll build my own some day, but I think for the money I got a descent deal.  I'm going to shoot it this weekend and i'll come back with a report.  Thanks for your input guys.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Whats with the holes in the m4 stock? Or is that just  paint or something?

*edit* I'm not talking about the SOCOM stock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Whats with the holes in the m4 stock? Or is that just  paint or something?

*edit* I'm not talking about the SOCOM stock.

For some reason the Wilson M4 stock has that hole in it. Don't know why.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Im disapointed to see YHM parts on such an expensive gun.

I hear you!

For that kind of money why did you choose a Wilson with a questionable rail system over say....a Colt with a quality rail system

I have been building M1911's for years. Wilson is one of the premier M1911 manufactures and one of my favorite M1911 parts providers but when it comes to AR rifles and parts their LACKING as far as I'm concerned (considering the very high price)!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I imagine that they are using someone elses stock. Thats the spot where whatever companies logo goes.  noticed that hole too and just figured they drilled out the other companies logo. That's, of course, just a W.A.G.

That is a good guess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Just because it's not the brand names people are used to, does it mean it's not high quality?  I think Wilson has made a name for themselves for a reason...good quality products backed by good customer service.  I've been talking to several Wilson AR owners and not a complaint one.  Maybe if you guys throw down some money you can see for yourself.  Just a thought.  I think i'll try some other brands and compare.  I'll get back with you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I imagine that they are using someone elses stock. Thats the spot where whatever companies logo goes.  noticed that hole too and just figured they drilled out the other companies logo. That's, of course, just a W.A.G.

This is my first post, so I hope I dont offend anyone..

Your dead on. The drilled out logo, and the rail is definitly something WC would do, at least on their AR's..

My father worked in purchasing at WC for a year or two buying AR parts for them. He heard of the little company in Arkansas from my dabling with raceguns. Owned an ACCUCOMP...

TURN AWAY IF YOU MIGHT GET PISSED ABOUT WHAT IM ABOUT TO SAY.

First of all, Bill is a self serving egotistical prick. That being said, It is a company run just like other companies with sales and marketing meetings, accountants, margins, cost over-runs etc. When the buyers are told by sales to get ready for a production run, and the accountants say great, but you need to buy below the margin, guess what? You buy the cheapest you can and get it there yesterday. These guys are in it for the money, produce low sell high. Keeping in mind their demographics associated with the 1911 market as well..

You'd be surprised where the parts come from. Unless WC has changed significantly in the past few years, the rifles are all part'ed out, though assembled in shop. Allbeit, they do a decent job at assembly. They dont produce their own recievers or uppers and alot of components too. Other companies do that for them, not unlike a few other companies out there. I have a feeling I shouldn't say this but I'll give a hint. Something about being really hard, next to a crick somewhere,  who was a supplier for recievers at one point, and as far as I can tell still are..

I never really liked his 1911, though I owned one. Switched to Gilmore/Caspian, muuuuuuch beter.  As far as AR, I bought a Stag, just so I could stay away from any company that Bill has relations with.. Please dont tell me if Bill is buying parts from Stag, I dont want to hear it. lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
 I've been talking to several Wilson AR owners and not a complaint one.  Maybe if you guys throw down some money you can see for yourself.  Just a thought.

Don't be mistaken, many of us have NO problems "throwing down" large sums of money on AR's, we just tend  to spend those large sums wisely on proven products that somewhat justify their high cost. 2K is a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of an optioned out rig built with all top tier components. Difference being you've got 2K tied up in $1200 worth of AR. (but it is a very nice AR)
That being said, I do love Baer and Wilson 1911's and if you're happy with your purchase and feel you got your dollars worth then that's all that really matters.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I've been talking to several Wilson AR owners and not a complaint one.  Maybe if you guys throw down some money you can see for yourself.  Just a thought.

hr

Don't be mistaken, many of us have NO problems "throwing down" large sums of money on AR's, we just tend  to spend those large sums wisely on proven products that somewhat justify their high cost. heThat being said, I do love Baer and Wilson 1911's and if you're happy with your purchase and feel you got your dollars worth then that's all that really matters.   hr

Dont' get me wrong...i'm not trying to be offensive.  I'm just qestioning the fact that they are not quality parts.  Like I said...i've heard no complaints besides here online.  Maybe you guys know more than those i've talked to...I really don't know.  I also know you can always build something better piece by piece.  That's why I build my own computers...you just can't get the best of everything when you buy all at once.  So I know you guys are correct.  I also know you can puchase a $10,000 Honda Civic and put $15,000 worth of upgrades on it and blow away a $50,000 Corvette...but in the end a Corvette is a Corvette and a Civic is a Civic.  I'll take the Corvette.  Just my .02.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Im about to drop $2k on a friggin scope. Just a scope! No mount, no rifle, no nothing but a 1-4 power scope!

[Highjack on]S&B? Lucky bastard [/Highjack off]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top