Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 8:35:19 PM EDT
I'm Thinking About getting a Wilson Combat AR15 Style Rifle upper what’s Your Opinion on Theses Rifles?
I Have Got Mags from Them for a 1911 before but nothing Ar related
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  They are incredibly overpriced.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
+1. Way overpriced, but nice rifles.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The one rather weathy gentleman that I train with has one and it's a nice piece.  He does not do any better in terms of accuracy or reliability than any of the other common folk AR's that my buddies have.  Unless you need the name, get a standard AR and dress it up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an older TPR upper. Just replaced the barrel with an RRA. So, if you want a Wilson fluted 18" 1/9 no threads carbine length gas port barrel you're welcome to it. And yeah, it was overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For a custom AR, you're better off with White Oak
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I was Thinking of geting
UT-15A

Does wilson make there own barrels?
And What is "Combat match-grade"Is that just a Standard military spec barrel?
I know What Match Grade is But I never heard of Combat match-grade.
I guess If Its Just a Over Priced ARI will Look For some thing differnt.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had an older TPR upper. Just replaced the barrel with an RRA. So, if you want a Wilson fluted 18" 1/9 no threads carbine length gas port barrel you're welcome to it. And yeah, it was overpriced.

I intreasted in the barrel Im Sent
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"Combat Match-Grade" is Marketing-Hype Squared
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"Combat Match-Grade" is Marketing-Hype Squared

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I intreasted in the barrel Im Sent

and IM replied.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm Thinking About getting a Wilson Combat AR15 Style Rifle upper what’s Your Opinion on Theses Rifles?
I Have Got Mags from Them for a 1911 before but nothing Ar related

I picked this one up off the EE here last week . With everything shown but the
knife and the EoTech .  I priced out a similar set up Wilson & ArmaLite they were about $100 apart .  When you throw in the scope mount , vertical grip and mags I got with the Wilson deal on the EE . It was a great deal  ( Thanks MT_Pockets ) .

The fit and finish on the weapon are top notch , you can tell it was built with
attention to detail by someone who cared what they were doing , the JP trigger
is set to about 3lbs and adjusted very nicely . There is ZERO play between the upper
and the lower and the irons were dead on out of the box ( It comes with a 1 MOA guarantee)

Wilson builds quality 1911's and seem to have taken that same care with their AR line .
I'm at a point in my life where I have no problem paying someone for their skills and craftsmanship when they exceed mine in a product I'm in the market for . This time it was an AR which I am more then happy with

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet Rifle!

I have a CQB.  Previously, I was constantly preaching the "value" of HK USPs and Sigs - and even occasionally Glocks.  However, once you feel the trigger on a Wilson, all else seems like crap.  I still would only fully trust my HKs and Sigs - but, once I've got 5k through my Wilson, I'll trust it too.

So far so good for Wilson with me.  My CQB is super accurate, and has been 100% functioning for the first 1100 or so, even using non-recommended ammo.

Money well-spent - and, if I didn't prefer 1:7 rifling, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Wilson rifle.  Until then, I'll stick with COLT!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]
chrome1 Nice Rifle I like The color Of the Barrel And Recivers.

chrome1... There is ZERO play between the upper
and the lower

WOW That Is Great I think I Am going To Get A wilson Combat Matched Upper and lower Reciver To replace My Colt Comp Match Shoot Upper And Lower reciver The fit On My Colt Is Verry Sloppy and I have a AccuWege Jammed in there Now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have no doubt the Wilson AR's are good quality stuff but I believe you can spec out a better rifle or carbine using the dealers here for a lot less money.

IMHO, the Wilson and Les Bear AR's more target guns than combat guns.  This doesn't mean you can't use them to fight with but I feel there are better choices...

BTW, are the "Combat Match Grade" barrels made with 4150 steel, have 1-7 twist, 5.56 chamber, M4 extended feedramps, fully chrome lined and MP tested?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#16]
are the Wilsons chrome lined (barrel/chamber)?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have no doubt the Wilson AR's are good quality stuff but I believe you can spec out a better rifle or carbine using the dealers here for a lot less money.

Word!

Quoted:
IMHO, the Wilson and Les Bear AR's more target guns than combat guns.  This doesn't mean you can't use them to fight with but I feel there are better choices...

Target guns do not equal combat guns.  While both can be used to replace the other in a pinch, neither work well in the other role, although IMHO, combat guns work somewhat when roles are reversed.  

Quoted:
BTW, are the "Combat Match Grade" barrels made with 4150 steel, have 1-7 twist, 5.56 chamber, M4
extended feedramps, fully chrome lined and MP tested?

Doubt it.

Basically, Wilson builds a nice combat styled target gun with great care and finish.  Their ARs, while they do look nice, are much higher priced than comparable ARs and still do not offer certain must haves, like chrome lining, forged FSBs, and mil-spec triggers.  Wilson Combat does build an awesome 1911, but the 1911 system and the AR system are two very different animals, so the "skillset" dosent' quite carry over.  The AR system does not require as much fitting and hand tuning...most of the building is just assembling parts whereas a 1911 does have to be hand fitted to work well.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I Agree , and that's why I own several others .

I bought the green Wilson to match the green 92fs that nobody around here seems to like
either .
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
why pay $2500 for a $700 rifle...i dont get it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Wilson Combat and also a Bushmaster.  I bought the WC before I researched them and just went by how the rifle felt compared to all the other AR's in the store.  It felt like it was assembled better and the finish was superior to the others.  I think I paid $1,600.00 for it.

Now that I know a little more about AR's I don't think I would buy a WC again.  I could spend the money on optics and other stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my WC.  It's the rifle that I use the most and when I go to grab a rifle to look at and handle I always end up with the WC.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in love with my Wilson CQB.

Their ARs don't impress me.  For what you spend on one of those, you can build a true combat-ready weapon.  Same is true of Les Baer, etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't companies like RRA and such use Wilson barrels? I thought that was the standard for everyone besides for BM and Colt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Doesn't companies like RRA and such use Wilson barrels? I thought that was the standard for everyone besides for BM and Colt.

Different Wilson.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different Wilson.

And that brings up another of my pet rants.  Model 1/Sherluk/Nesard has done a great (intentional, IMO)job of leaving the impression in people's minds that their "wilson" barrels are Wilson Combat.  Wilson Combat has fuck-all to do with any of them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Ooooo... I learn something to day, cool... Does anyone have a link to a site for the folks that make the non wilson wilson barrels? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay...what am I missing here?

EOTech looks good on there chrome1!

MT
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Ooooo... I learn something to day, cool... Does anyone have a link to a site for the folks that make the non wilson wilson barrels? Thanks...

Wilson Arms Barrels

Wilson Combat sells AR  barrels these are built to Wilson Combat Spec's and Marketed as a Wilson Combat Parts.

MT

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey chrome1, nice AR.  I had the privilege of handling a Wilson JUST LIKE THAT ONE.  Same serial # and everything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/brentwal/DSC00098-11.jpg

The Wilson's your and the RRA's mine, both from MT_Pockets.

Brent
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd by 2 things from Wilson: 1911 Mags and the shotgun mag tube extentsions they sell.  In my personal experience, the company is terrible to deal with and those are the only things that no one else sells of equal quality.  I think the WC ARs are WAY overpriced.  At least at that price put a DD or RAS 2 handguard on there instead of what they slap on them.   If the name "Wilson Combat" gets you moist in the panties, go for it, otherwise, I'd spend my money on a plain jane AR and dress it up with things I can actually use, instead of spending several hundred bucks extra for "Armor Tuff" or whatever they're calling that finish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks, I have now been edjucated As far as Wilson 1911 Mags I would rather buy MecGar mags. I used to live down the street from Lone Star Arms, a 1911 custom shop that is now defunct I think and they used to do some machining for Wilson and they had stated that Wilson was getting MecGar to make their mags for them. Just what I heard at least...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I love my Wilson UT and so does everyone who handles it.  I got it with an LEO discount :) I didn't have the time or inclination to build one myself.  The finish and work are top notch, it is a dream to shoot and is very very accurate.  It is the AR I enjoy the most.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Most people that dislike the Wilson Combat Rifles are the ones who have no experience with them.

MT
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Chrome1 just about didn't get his UT, I was VERY tempted to buy it from MT.  But the RRA was more in line with what I was looking for.

Brent
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Chrome1 just about didn't get his UT, I was VERY tempted to buy it from MT.  But the RRA was more in line with what I was looking for.

Brent

I was in line too. If I could have worked a local deal, it would have been mine. After I passed on the deal I built my own for 1/2 the price, Aimpoint included. Nice rifle and I wish I could have got it though. With the accy. that where with the rifle it was a fair deal IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'd by 2 things from Wilson: 1911 Mags and the shotgun mag tube extentsions they sell.  In my personal experience, the company is terrible to deal with and those are the only things that no one else sells of equal quality.  I think the WC ARs are WAY overpriced.  At least at that price put a DD or RAS 2 handguard on there instead of what they slap on them.   If the name "Wilson Combat" gets you moist in the panties, go for it, otherwise, I'd spend my money on a plain jane AR and dress it up with things I can actually use, instead of spending several hundred bucks extra for "Armor Tuff" or whatever they're calling that finish.

The cost of a gun is the difference between the price you pay for it and the price you sell it for.  WC guns certainly hold their value as good as any brand I'm aware of.  The same is not necessarily true of guns made out of spare parts in some guy's garage.

I'm also pretty sure that you're paying for more than the name.  You're getting a gun that's built to the specifications and under the care of a master gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry if I came off sounding like an ass for the way I presented myself.  I just have a differing opinion and that coupled with my experience with the company has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't mean to sound like I was knocking the guys with WC ARs, b/c that's not what I'm trying to do.  Sorry if I stepped on any toes gents.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#37]
No problem, Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Wilson Combat.

MT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Most people that dislike the Wilson Combat Rifles are the ones who have no experience with them.

MT

All I have to do is read the specs and ask the right questions to find out if it's something I'm interested in.  Like I said, I have no doubt that it's a quality firearm but it's doesn't meet my requirements.

Edited for typos and spelling.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MT

All I have to do is read the specs and ask the right questions to find out if it's something I'm interested it.  Like I said I have now doubt that's it's a quality firearm but it's doesn't meet my requirements.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice, but too much $$... Go the Bushmaster route...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I also was thinking of one.  I bought a KAC SR 15 M4 instead. Al ittle less money and a great rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

MT

All I have to do is read the specs and ask the right questions to find out if it's something I'm interested it. Like I said I have now doubt that's it's a quality firearm but it's doesn't meet my requirements.

+1

That is the nice thing about this Country we can all choose what we like.

The Wilson UT-15, M-4T and SS-15 are not for everyone.

Knights are nice too...

MT+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#43]
It seems to me that the Wilson rifles come with lots of well thought-out goodies as extras.  If you wanted a high-quality matched upper/lower, with all the extra features --- then, I don't think the Wilsons are that far out of line, price-wise.

Guns that are slapped together with a variety of parts are usually more expensive than guns with similar parts put together by a manufacturer.  So, if you build a gun, it'll probably cost a little more than the same parts combined by Bushy, RRA, etc.  If you buy a used Wilson Combat rifle, you'll save a little more the other way.

In my estimation, with all the goodies, a WC rifle, while holding its value well, shouldn't be a bad deal at all.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#44]
i think the KA stoner rifle is superior
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top