Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 12:55:50 PM EST
I am having feeding/cyling problems with a 9mm I built, I used a 9mm hammer and a ramped bolt carrier, was told this may cause issues.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:02:11 PM EST
It WILL cause problems. The 9mm hammer was designed to run with a non-ramped bolt, but it doesn't alleviate the problem of how harsh the bolt can be on the hammer and hammer pin. A ramped bolt with a standard, NON-NOTCHED hammer will act the same way as a regular AR carrier on a regular hammer. Remember that the Colt-style 9mm carbine is based on their SMG, which is basically an M16 lower with a pinned-in magazine block and a 9mm upper. The closer to an M16 hammer you get, the better. A rounded, "DPMS-style" hammer is essentially an M16 hammer without the bit that an auto sear catches.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:28:05 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
It WILL cause problems. The 9mm hammer was designed to run with a non-ramped bolt, but it doesn't alleviate the problem of how harsh the bolt can be on the hammer and hammer pin. A ramped bolt with a standard, NON-NOTCHED hammer will act the same way as a regular AR carrier on a regular hammer. Remember that the Colt-style 9mm carbine is based on their SMG, which is basically an M16 lower with a pinned-in magazine block and a 9mm upper. The closer to an M16 hammer you get, the better. A rounded, "DPMS-style" hammer is essentially an M16 hammer without the bit that an auto sear catches.
View Quote

Thank you,

Appreciate the information
Top Top