Posted: 7/24/2003 6:47:24 AM EDT
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if they get stuck in there.....[;)]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
No.  They typically light AFTER leaving the barrel.

Unless, like Wilson said, they get stuck.  Then you have other more troubling problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Only if they get stuck in there.....[;)]

Mike
View Quote

What do you think the chances of a stuck tracer cooking off the other round in the chamber is?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you think the chances of a stuck tracer cooking off the other round in the chamber is?
View Quote

Gun_Addict, 2 chances "slim and none", my comments were meant as a "tongue in cheek" joke.

To the best of my knowledge there is no reason to think tracers produce more heat leaving the barrel of an AR-15/M16, than any other type of round, and cook-off was never mentioned. The comment was intended to intimate that the tracer might go hot in the barrel IF it got stuck, which I don't think would happen. I believe tracer HAS to be moving in order to work, as there is no time-delay fuse in them, that I know of.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.  They typically light AFTER leaving the barrel.

Unless, like Wilson said, they get stuck.  Then you have other more troubling problems.
View Quote

Incorrect. The tracer round is burning as it leaves the barrel, and a steady diet of tracer ammo will burn a barrel out much sooner than ball ammo. I did a lot of night firing in the Army and saw this first hand.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they start to trace at 100 yards out after it leave the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top