AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2003 10:20:39 AM EDT
Will this setup co-witness?

Aimpoint CompML2
ARMS #22M68 Aimpoint Throw Lever Ring Mount
AR-10(T) Carbine
Chopped Detachable Carry Handle, EA5050
Detachable Front Sight, EA5045

The Aimpoint will be mounted directly to the flattop via the ARMS mount.  Would it be necessary to raise the Aimpoint using either an ARMS #22M68 full or half spacer in order to co-witness?

If a full spacer is required, does anyone reccomend the use of an ARMS #22M68 cantilever spacer?

Thanks as always.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, what effect would the addition of an ARMS SIR System have on the setup.  Would I still be able to co-witness, or would the Aimpoint be too high above the iron sights?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the sight posts on the AR-10 are the same height as the AR-15.  Therefore, you'll need either the full spacer or the cantilever spacer (same as the full spacer but moves the optic out farther).  Which spacer you get depends on where you want your dot.  For some people they want to place the ARMS 22M68 at the farthest position on the rail, but still want the optic out just a little farther (over the handguard).  I like mine mounted just fine with the regular spacer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
So for the setup I've described, I'd probably use a cantilever spacer.

When I add an ARMS SIR System, will I just need to remove the cantilever spacer?  Will I need to replace the cantilever spacer with a half spacer?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure on the SIR.  I don't have any experience with it.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the setup I am using on my Colt. I used a full spacer w/the 22m68/ I don't care for the cant. spacer, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the same set-up, I opted for the cantilever spacer and now you can buy my full spacer for $7 shipped if you like (check EE).
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bzzz.  The sights on the AR10 are taller, so while the AimPoint will cowitness, the irons will fill up more of the field of view.  For this reason, I'd recommend the GG&G flip-ups, OR using AR15 (instead of AR10) iron sights.

I also HIGHLY recommend the cantilever spacer, as you'll need a full-height spacer anyway, and you want your AimPoint as far forward as possible.
View Quote

Well, I've already got the AR-10 Detachable Carry handle, and I chopped it Friday night.  In other words, that's the rear sight I'll be using.

I chose that rear sight because I don't really like ARMS #40 and because it lacks an elevation knob.  Additionally, I'd rather it not flip up and down.

As for the front sight, I'm not set on the ArmaLite or AR-10 front sight.  In fact, I don't like it one bit.

Troy, when you say that the AR-10 detachable iron sights take up more room, do you mean that the red dot will not be able to sit on the front sight post; I'd like it to be able to do that.  I could always shave down the front sight post if it's too tall, right?

Which of these front sights is best?

SR-25 Folding Front Sight    [img]http://www.sr-25.com/SR-25_Folding_Sight1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.tjacorp.com/knights_1_sr_25_flip_up_front_sight.jpg[/img]

GG&G Flip Up Front Sight    [img]http://www.gggaz.com/images/ar-10mad/group02.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Once I add the SIR System, won't the Aimpoint inherently become raised to a managable level?  In other words, if the Aimpoint is too low with only the flattop, once the SIR System is added, that should bump the Aimpoint up just enough.

I am following the advice that I've heard regarding the use of the cantilever.

Thanks for all of your advice gentlemen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I really think I'll be able to make the chopped carry handle work with the SIR.  I may have to use my hacksaw, but it'll work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey CAR-10 I have the GG&G front sight on my AR-10 and it is a good sight. I was told that I could not use the SR-25 sights on the AR-10 so I went with the A.R.M.S. #40 and the GG&G, I don't regret the decision.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey CAR-10 I have the GG&G front sight on my AR-10 and it is a good sight. I was told that I could not use the SR-25 sights on the AR-10 so I went with the A.R.M.S. #40 and the GG&G, I don't regret the decision.
View Quote

Thanks, because I was really leaning toward the SR-25 front sight.  I'm glad you stopped me, but I probably would have asked John Carney from Excalibur Arms if it would work before I made the purchase.  [Do you have any idea why it won't work?]

The main reason I was going to go with the SR-25 flip up front sight was because it looked like it flipped forward instead of back.  Not a real strong reason, so oh well.

Also, does the GG&G use a standard front sight post?  I just want to make sure that I would be able to swap out the posts with a taller post if required due to my chopped carry handle.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
IM sent!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top