Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/31/2012 8:26:22 PM EDT
So i am planning on making a 24" rifle and was thinkin of putting a magpul 6 position CTR stock on it. will this be out of balance with a 24" stainless bull barrel?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:49:17 PM EDT
Way nose heavy.
A2, PRS or UBR.

A2 might be the best choice because you can add weight to it if necessary.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:38:51 AM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:00:57 AM EDT
Will this be a precision shooter? If it will be benched or on a bi-pod then the balance will not be as important.

If prone, throw a LaRue POD and RISR and shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:06:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 6:55:25 PM EDT by Direct-Drive]
For comparison....

I have a CTR on a 16" HBAR rig.
I like it but some would find it muzzle heavy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:46:04 AM EDT
It will feel like an axe..

My service rifle has a pound and a half of lead in the buttstock to help offset the barrel
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:02:10 PM EDT
will it be out of balance with a magpull ACS stock? or do i pretty much have to use the a2 stock gonna be mostly a range/coyote/golpher gun
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 12:54:38 PM EDT by Direct-Drive]
Yep, that's a lot of pipe.
If it were mine. there would be no indecision.
I would go straight for an A2 stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 1:47:07 PM EDT by tbougie1]
Originally Posted By montanamade:
will it be out of balance with a magpull ACS stock? or do i pretty much have to use the a2 stock gonna be mostly a range/coyote/golpher gun

Why a 24inch?..you can accomplish the same thing with an 18 or 20. Get a stainless fluted barrel from WOA..

Buy the best barrel and the best trigger group like a Geissele and enjoy

Also don't be shooting the golphers Carl...

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:02:16 PM EDT
is there really no difference between the 24 and the 20 inch as far as accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:10:59 PM EDT
is there really no difference between the 24 and the 20 inch as far as accuracy?

You aren't really gaining anything as far as ballistics/velocity, the gain would be with sight radius. But if you are using a scope, that really doesn't matter. Personally I would go a little shorter on the barrel to save weight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:15:57 PM EDT

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy; it is powder burn and velocity. I have a 24" Varminter and have an A2 stock on it. It balances well. If you are not hand loading to get maximum velocity, you won't be able to tell a difference between 20" and 24".
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:24:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bwideman:

You aren't really gaining anything as far as ballistics/velocity, the gain would be with sight radius. But if you are using a scope, that really doesn't matter. Personally I would go a little shorter on the barrel to save weight.

I think the rule of thumb is you gain 50 fps for every 2" of barrel. Will 100 fps be noticable to the average shooter? No.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:02:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

Originally Posted By bwideman:

I think the rule of thumb is you gain 50 fps for every 2" of barrel. Will 100 fps be noticable to the average shooter? No.

True, but a lot of the 5.56/.223 powders and loads are maximized for 16"-20" barrels. So the majority of the powder is burned earlier, and the extra inches aren't going to give as much of a velocity bump as they might in other calibers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:19:00 PM EDT
so if i did go with a 20" barrel would a ctr stock still be out of the question?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:20:51 PM EDT
so if i did go with a 20" barrel would a ctr stock still be out of the question?

Still going to balance forward, but it is a personal preference. If you like it, go with it. I would probably go with the UBR to bring the balance closer to center, but that is just my preference.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:51:04 PM EDT

Ive got Armalite M15A4 20"(medium profile) uppers on LMT SOPMOD'd Defender lowers.With a ADM Recon mounted fully foward with Burris FFII Tactical 3x9x40 scope,stock in third position,no mag,balance point is perfectly at the delta ring.WIth full 20-30 round mag the balance point moves rearward a bit.Fully extended SOPMOD stock balance point is about mid magwell.With a standard LMT Gen.II stock the balance is very much the same as the SOPMOD only weighs a few ounces more,mostly in the rubber butt pad.
So I will say it really depends on your setup in regards to balance,but my telestock'd rifles are about perfect in balance.
In fact rifle upper on telestock lower is my favorite configuration(C7A2 type) due to length of handguard which gives me room for my long arms and wide shoulders without being cramped.
Top Top