Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 9/29/2011 2:50:40 PM EST
In other words will it be economicaly successful, and hang around?
looks better than the 300 Whisper/ Blackout. and is completely AR-15 compatable (mags, and bolts )
Only needs a Barrel. ($250-300)
And has Wilson Combat supporting it.
What does the Hive think??
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:55:23 PM EST
I hope so i just built one and it is shooting great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:09:01 PM EST
Did you Buy the brass or Make it?
Hornady dies?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:45:07 PM EST
It's based on the 5.56 and is easily made from it's cases.

Who cares if it has legs?

Just make your own.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:09:43 PM EST
Why do they shorten the cases at all?
would an unshortened case extend Past the bearing surface of the Ogive on bigger bullets?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:44:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By rick458:
Why do they shorten the cases at all?
would an unshortened case extend Past the bearing surface of the Ogive on bigger bullets?

in order to get the bullets to fit in the magazine the case had to be shortened or as you said they would be seated to the ogive.

here is a pic from the 7.62x40 thread

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:57:11 PM EST
what are the ballistics of the .25 x 40mm?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:28:39 PM EST
Did you Buy the brass or Make it?
Hornady dies?

i made all my own brass with the hornady dies from wilson combat. i have a thread here on some of the progress with a small video, i made a die to work with the 1200 dillon trimmer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:37:42 AM EST
There isn't anything more you could ask for. Wilson has everything from brass to finish rounds. Yes, a major ammo company picking it up would help promote the cartridge, but we can't read the future. Being an avid reloader, for me, it really doesn't matter. If everything stopped today, I would have the dies which would form the brass for me. There will always be .223/5.56 surplus brass around. The bullets are .308 which will be around for our lifetimes and other than the barrel, standard AR parts apply.
Come to think of it, I may order another barrel. My hunting partners have been eyeing mine too much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:59:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Graycard:
There isn't anything more you could ask for. Wilson has everything from brass to finish rounds. Yes, a major ammo company picking it up would help promote the cartridge, but we can't read the future. Being an avid reloader, for me, it really doesn't matter. If everything stopped today, I would have the dies which would form the brass for me. There will always be .223/5.56 surplus brass around. The bullets are .308 which will be around for our lifetimes and other than the barrel, standard AR parts apply.
Come to think of it, I may order another barrel. My hunting partners have been eyeing mine too much.

This is the beauty of the 223/5.56 case variants and why I have more concern over 6.8 getting orphaned. If 6.8 ever got dropped by majors brass cost / scarcity would become a problem... then you'd have to hunt down and pay an even bigger premium for decent bolts and mags. I have and appreciate 6.8s but as a reloader I have zero concern over adding 300BLK, 7.62x40wt, 6.5pcc, etc to the stable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:10:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
Originally Posted By Graycard:

This is the beauty of the 223/5.56 case variants and why I have more concern over 6.8 getting orphaned. If 6.8 ever got dropped by majors brass cost / scarcity would become a problem... then you'd have to hunt down and pay an even bigger premium for decent bolts and mags. I have and appreciate 6.8s but as a reloader I have zero concern over adding 300BLK, 7.62x40wt, 6.5pcc, etc to the stable.

Im having the same issue about orphaing the 6.8. I only have one 6.8 left in 10.5" that reload for. I dont want to let go of it, but I have a 7.62x35 in 10" and 16" that is cheap and easy to load for. My concern is the penetration aspect when comparing the two. The 6.8 in that small lightweight platform with all that ooomph behind it is hard to let go. Im torn. I guess once I get my Colt SP901 in a couple months, it will be the straw that broke the camels back to let go of the 6.8 and not have to chase the expensive brass around. I shoot subs mostly in the 7.62x35, so the 7.62x40 is out of the question for my application, while I would still recommend it for others.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:16:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 7:20:39 AM EST by dannymac63]
In other words will it be economicaly successful, and hang around?
looks better than the 300 Whisper/ Blackout. and is completely AR-15 compatable (mags, and bolts )
Only needs a Barrel. ($250-300)
And has Wilson Combat supporting it.
What does the Hive think??

Just curious, what makes it better than 300 BLK? From the small amount I've read you'd have to modify magazines, whereas 300 BLK doesn't require it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:27:51 AM EST
it is designed for the supersonic loads. more fps with the 110-130 gn loads. so if you want subsonic the 300blk is better
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:32:22 AM EST
velocity mostly. 300 blk will get more industry support, but like has been mentioned its not that big of a deal, because brass will always be easy to source.
Top Top