Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/12/2004 10:21:34 AM EST
I see them advertised for the low low price of $60 each; maybe one or two would be worth a try. Wasn't there a post or story about some out-of-spec/poor QC mags being dumped on the market??? Anybody have an idea how to avoid the dogs and get the good ones??
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:01:07 AM EST
Might what to look at the new magpul followers and a NIW mag. Same performance and cheaper. Saying that I'll probably get one for the collection. HK are like crack
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:21:36 PM EST
No chance. The hype on these is worse than the Green follower craze a year ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:52:43 PM EST
Top Glock has HK AR mags for preorder at $47.95. That being said I think we need concentrate on MAKING SURE the ban dies. It seems to me people are getting a too complacent and talking about what their going to do after the ban.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:46:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By markm:
No chance. The hype on these is worse than the Green follower craze a year ago.

All agree with that. But the hype on anything with an HK on it ... The tan followers seem to have worked out some of the problems the prototypes had. The followers are an improvement but for the $$$, I can live with the green ones. Overhype is the ranger mag plates.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:51:37 PM EST
SO let me undestand, I can pay $12 for a NIW USGI that functions 100% or I can get an HK mag for $47.95 that functions....100%???

Except the HK ones may blow off the baseplate if they are from an early batch, which would make it a $47.95 mag with less than 100% reliablity?

Um, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:39:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
Um, I don't get it.

Its an HK thing......
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:29:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By MrPink:
Its an HK thing......

Marketing is a powerful tool. Perception is reality.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:22:49 AM EST
H&K has a great rep, but they are not perfect. My 10rd "Clinton Capacity" H&K USP45 mags have had some issues. The springs got somewhat messed up when I left them loaded. I changed out the factory springs for Wolff springs and the mags are perfect now.

That said, I don't particularly care what people who don't have the new mags say. I'm planning on getting 1 to try it out. I'll decide then if they're worth the money.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:50:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/13/2004 8:57:24 AM EST by MrPink]

Marketing is a powerful tool. Perception is reality.

Markm,

No flames intended here, but I'm only talking about $50 here. I'm interested to see if it is a top quality mag. In grand scheme of a transferable M16, shorty upper, optic and other doodads - a $50-100 experiment doesn't seem like a bad try.

I admit I generally like HK. I use to carry a P7PSP extensively and still own and shoot a bunch of P7s. But alas, I am not wild about the USPs - tried them and sold them. Nor their rifles - did profit taking on my 91 and 93 years ago. Actually, helped fund my first M16.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:45:46 AM EST
Mr. Pink, feel free to spend that $50 on an HK mag. There is nothing wrong with that. I'd personally would rather spend $50 on 2 NIB USGI proven mags than one HK mag.
Hey, some people like thousand dollar Rolex's. Myself, I like my Citizen watch for $100.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:49:54 AM EST
MrPink,

I can dig it. One mag for experimentation/collection is no biggie. I read that some guy was gonna get like 40 or 50 of them. That's a little nutty.

I would pick one or two up if they were comparably priced, but I wouldn't pay a premium.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:58:27 AM EST

MrPink,

I can dig it. One mag for experimentation/collection is no biggie. I read that some guy was gonna get like 40 or 50 of them. That's a little nutty.

I would pick one or two up if they were comparably priced, but I wouldn't pay a premium.

Well, I must confess I do own upwards of 5 dozen USGI mags.......
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:21:41 AM EST
i like usgi
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:52:17 AM EST
I might try one just for my own personal reason, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the USGI mags.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:34:26 AM EST
The magazine is one of the weakest links to the AR15 M16 family of weapons. They were made to be disposable. I for one welcome a good durable steel mag than I don't have to replace after a few years of hard use.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:45:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Glockfan:
The magazine is one of the weakest links to the AR15 M16 family of weapons. They were made to be disposable. I for one welcome a good durable steel mag than I don't have to replace after a few years of hard use.
Pat

Then buy a $15 SA80 mag and a $2 Magpul follower and save $32 in the process!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:23:37 AM EST

Pat

$15 for something that will last a few years is a pretty good price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:52:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 4:52:32 PM EST by Alien]

Originally Posted By M4arc:

Pat

Or even better, spend $20 on a NIW Teflon coated LaBelle mag and get the Magpul follower. That's what I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:08:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4arc:

Pat

I have 6 HK mags, that's one of the perks of living in the UK.
Those of us who have HK mags really like them. They function perfectly. But then again, if a USGI mag functions perfectly too, what's the difference??
When you look at them close up though, you really see the quality.
I know of no-one who'se ever experienced any malf's with an HK mag, especially the tabs breaking off.
I buy mine on www.ebay.co.uk, search SA80 and the mags will come up. They are readily available here. But be aware of the difference between A1/A2 mags.

BTW, I've said this before, those SA80 mags you guy's buy in the US aren't SA80 mags.
A genuine SA80 mag is aluminium with a plastic base. On the base is stamped RG (Radway Green).
They have an ingenious push button for disassembly.
The mags you guys buy are Imperial Defense proprietry nato 5.56 mags. Imperial defense is a British company, but the mags are made in Singapore by Chartered Industries, The same company that makes the SAR-80.
I met the guy who owns Imperial last week and he told me he's exported 200,000+ to the US.
We bought a quantity of them from him, and they are good mags, but SA80 mags, they're not.
Mark
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:23:42 PM EST
Thank you very much for your input streetfighter! It's always good to hear from somebody who has experience with the items in question.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:35:45 PM EST

I dont know about anybody else but I have some concerns
about shoving a 20 dollar steel mag. into a 5000 dollar aluminum
M16 reciever.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:50:05 PM EST
Well, I kind of agree with everyone on this one:

1.) Marketing is POWERFUL stuff. My job is dependant on strong marketing and I've seen it do amazing things, 'causing folks to spend big time $ for stuff they don't need but good marketing made them think they "needed" it.

2.) Perhaps these HKs are all that and a ball bat. I don't know, I've never used them. But, I think of all the other crap I've spent good $60 on, I think I might buy one and see how much I like it. If it sucks, well it can just go in my collection. I figure since I've got examples of all different kinds of AR15 mags, might as well have a sample of this one too.

3.) What if it is all that and a ball bat? That's what I hoping for, just 'cause it is something new. Would I change out my entire first line mags? Probably not....I just can't afford it at that price. Also, these mags are longer than USGIs, so does that mean they won't fit my current mag pouches? If they don't then I've got to spend more $ to find something to carry them and that adds to the bottom line.

4.) USGIs are pretty much the standard by which all others are judged. They've done fine by me and Lord knows that our military gives them MUCH more abuse than I ever could and we don't hear of them having durability problems. I mean, look at some surplus mags. They're straight worn to hell but for the most part, still running. With even a small bit of tweaking, they can be made to run correctly. I have one that both feed lips are severly cracked and it is still chugging along. You can even bust off the floorplate tabs, wire the plates back on and keep rolling.

I'll try one for shit and giggles, hopefully it will work great and I'll be stoked. It will probably be my only one though, so it will amount to a really cool novelty for me.

-REAPER2502

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:44:25 PM EST
I have 3 on order, waiting for me Sept 15. :)

Doc
Top Top