Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:59:41 PM EDT
I posted this in the Optics section and only got 1 reply so I'll try here.  Will my A2 front sight be in the way if I mount a variable power scope?  Will I see the front sight through the optic?  What height rings or mount should I be looking for.  I'm leaning towards a Leupold 2.5 x10 power scope and I'd like to do a QD mount so I can flip back and forth with my Aimpoint.  thanks  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Millet DMS-1 1x4 sitting 1.71" above the rail.  At 1x the wings and front sight post are visible in the bottom of the scope, at higher power you dont see em.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a 3x9 once in a while, never noticed the front sight tower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
I posted this in the Optics section and only got 1 reply so I'll try here.  Will my A2 front sight be in the way if I mount a variable power scope?  Will I see the front sight through the optic?  What height rings or mount should I be looking for.  I'm leaning towards a Leupold 2.5 x10 power scope and I'd like to do a QD mount so I can flip back and forth with my Aimpoint.  thanks  

If it has a large objective you probably won't be able to tell any difference.  I put a DPMS picatinny gas block on mine and the sight icture actually looked a little clearer.  I have a standard QD riser with a Bushnell Elite on top.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If I don't go with a QD mount what height rings would you suggest mounting right onto the flat top.  I'm looking in the 3 x 9 x 40mm obj. to 2.5 x 10 x 42mm obj.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I don't go with a QD mount what height rings would you suggest mounting right onto the flat top.  I'm looking in the 3 x 9 x 40mm obj. to 2.5 x 10 x 42mm obj.  Thanks guys.

Do you have a BUIS?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
no not yet.  If I decide to get a variable power scope I'm not going to get a buis.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
First, let me say that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others, especially when you're talking about scopes. Cheek weld, eye relief, etc. etc all come in to play. Here's what I eventually settled on, and it works perfectly for me; but may not be for everyone.

I wanted to keep my BUIS (because I still don't trust scopes totally); but be able to use my Aimpoint Comp2/M68 and also my Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope. When I first got my flat top, the Aimpoint was fine; but I had to take off the BUIS for the Leupold to be mounted. No good. I bought a RRA 5/8" riser, and everything was good to go:

Flat top with riser. The BUIS still clears the riser and can be used if all the scopes go to hell in a handbasket.

Riser with Aimpoint. It raises the Aimpoint to where I don't get co-witness; but that's not really a big deal. I prefer my head up a little for combat shooting anyway--it's the way we were trained to do it in the 80's with iron sights (and hence my saying that my way is perfect for me; but may not be for everyone);

And finally with the Leupold. I just fold down the BUIS, and it's ready to go. I use Warne quick-detach High rings for this, and they work great. (I also use them on a scoped Garand--in .30-06--and they never lose zero!) The scope is Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (around $220), with Butler Creek lens caps.

Since the Aimpoint and the Leupold are both quick-detach, I just leave the riser on the weapon since it doesn't get in the way of the iron sights.

So, hopefully you can get some ideas from this set-up and maybe get something that works for you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
a front sight will not interfere with the sight picture of a magnified optic. If you see anything at all you will have to look closely to see a very subtle shadowing. You will not notice.

If you have a 0 magnification optic you will see your front sight clearly but it will not interfere especially if you go with a lower 1/3rd co-witness.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a Leupold 1-4x, and when magnified beyond 2x, I can barely see a hint of shadow from the FSB
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a Millet DMS-1.  With a Larue SPR and SPR-E, I see the blur (irritating to me) of the wings of the FSB.  On 1.5 x and higher it disappears.  With a Larue 1.93, I do not see it even at 1x
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, not at higher powers.  You won't even see your front sight.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
OK great.  thanks alot guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top