Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:02 AM EDT
I would like to know if a rifle length gas system needs a specific rifle buffer to work.  I have a 20 inch barrel and would like to put a collapsible stock on it.  The length of pull is too long for me with an A2 stock.  I know that an A1 stock’s LOP is shorter, but I’m looking to see if I can run the collapsible stock on it.

Would the carbine buffer tube/buffer cause problems like short stroking or bolt bounce?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
it will be fine

for the 87th time
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

I tried to search it, but all I found was just the opposite of what I wanted to do.

A2 stock w/ rifle buffer and 16" carbine upper

and

Carbine gas system with full rifle stock and buffer.

Any chance you have a link to the other 86?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
well played

when it comes to stocks don't mix parts.

IE

not to install carbine buffer and spring in a1 or a2 rifle stock tube assemblies or a mix there of.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It will work fine, but you should use a standard carbine buffer, nothing heavier like an H1, etc..
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will work fine, but you should use a standard carbine buffer, nothing heavier like an H1, etc..

+1
Im running two Armalite M15A4 20" uppers on LMT Defender SOPMOD lowers and they work perfectly.Actually this configuration has become my favorite setup even over the carbines.When using standard .223 Rem ammo for range or hunting the CAR buffer is the most reliable.If I use alot of 5.56 NATO ammo I run the H as it seems to calm the cycle down just a bit more.My assemblies get extremely sluggish and occasionally fail to lock back on a empty with 5.56 NATO/XM193C using an H2..
I have not experienced any bolt bounce with using a CAR weight buffer,function is 100%,so thats what I would recommend for overall use.
If so inclined you will just have to try the different weight buffers with the upper you choose due to differences in manufacturers barrel gas ports.
HTH

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This can be done, but after you replace the internals, you will have to go and get a UBR stock, because IF you put a Lily Ko on a 20" rifle, you
will be in danger of going Canadian!  ,,
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope so, because I just threw a collapsable on a 20" rifle. I'm going to try it tomorrow with a standard weight buffer and a 9mm buffer.

Same reason, even an A1 stock feels too long after shooting mostly carbines for years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
My 20" ARmalite has never had anything but a Tapco 6-position with a standard CAR buffer. Runs great on anything I've stuffed in it yet. Never had a FTE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This can be done, but after you replace the internals, you will have to go and get a UBR stock, because IF you put a Lily Ko on a 20" rifle, you
will be in danger of going Canadian!  ,,

Like this? :

This was my attempt to cram what I wanted into one AR (M16 and M4 clone) before I realized you need multiple ARs.
After several hundred rounds I had no issues/malfunctions of any kind. Regular car buffer. I switched to
an A2 stock to help with balance issues. car length tubes with carbine stocks should be used on uppers with barrel lengths under
18" in my opinion. 20" or longer go with a fixed stock with a rifle extension.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#11]
My midlength works perdectly with an H buffer and 223 ammo. Nice gun

DIsregard....you were asking about 20 inch barreled rifles..

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Thanks for the heads up.

Collapsable stock on 20" Colt worked fine with standard weight carbine buffer. I didnt bother trying the 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
For what it's worth, in my experience a rifle length gas system and an 18" barrel would not function with an H buffer but works fine with a standard buffer.  There are so many factors though, you have just got to shoot it to know.  With the longer gas system you don't need the heavier buffer anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
YUP, like that !   !   But actually, since most of us will not be converting a full auto or burst type rifle, you will have a lot of latitude that
the military doesn't.   You can try out all your components, including the ammo and select what combo works best in your case.  Personally,
my choice of the UBR for this type of application is based on unit weight as well as awesome good looks.  IMHO the original Colt tele stock
looks best on the XM 177 series weapons, and Lily Ko is best suited to the 6520LE.  The larger Carbines are just crying for a meatier, heavier,
sexier tele type replacement.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top