BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 12:32:35 PM EDT

Thanks for you replies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It should. The threads all seem to be standardized whether its a Stag lower, Superior Arms lower, or Colt lower.

Course, I bet someone with a little more experience will chime in shortly.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Pertaining to milspec tubes, CMT = LMT = VLTOR = Colt, so my guess would be - yes.  I have LMT and VLTOR tubes on everything that has milspec buttstocks, but no CMT, but I don't see why there would be a difference, as long as it is in spec.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The tube threads were compatible, but if you are adding a CMT telestock kit, I had a problem with the locking plate sticking up and impeding the charging handle motion. this picture depicts the area of concern after I installed a compatible locking plate. I don't know if this is a problem with Colt's only, as I have not installed a CMT kit on another brand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Stag makes Receiver Ext. For Colts. So probally Yes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
do colt lowers have differents specs there?
Has anyone successfully mounted a cmt buttstock to a bushmaster lower?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have installed three of the CMT stocks (on LCW, DPMS, Colt lowers) and have had similar issues with the receiver end plate.  The receiver end plates were sticking up slightly above the receiver extension nut and the charging handle would catch slightly when pulled back.  My solution was to order new Colt end plates from Brownells (Part Number SP62358) and that took care of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have installed three of the CMT stocks (on LCW, DPMS, Colt lowers) and have had similar issues with the receiver end plate.  The receiver end plates were sticking up slightly above the receiver extension nut and the charging handle would catch slightly when pulled back.  My solution was to order new Colt end plates from Brownells (Part Number SP62358) and that took care of the problem.

Strange, I just installed a CMT kit on a Colt LE lower and didn't have any issues?

Either I got lucky (which isn't typical for me ) or I didn't use the end plate that came with the kit (I have at least one or two extras in my parts box)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have installed three of the CMT stocks (on LCW, DPMS, Colt lowers) and have had similar issues with the receiver end plate.  The receiver end plates were sticking up slightly above the receiver extension nut and the charging handle would catch slightly when pulled back.  My solution was to order new Colt end plates from Brownells (Part Number SP62358) and that took care of the problem. hr

Strange, I just installed a CMT kit on a Colt LE lower and didn't have any issues? her) or I didn't use the end plate that came with the kit (I have at least one or two extras in my parts box)?

Compare the end plates you have left to see if there is any noticeable difference.  The Colts had a difference on the ring depth (slightly smaller) when compared on top of the one’s supplied with the stocks, not a lot but just enough to stick up above the nut. The ones that came with the stocks worked but I’m kind of picky about things like that so I decided to change them out.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Compare the end plates you have left to see if there is any noticeable difference.  The Colts had a difference on the ring depth (slightly smaller) when compared on top of the one’s supplied with the stocks, not a lot but just enough to stick up above the nut. The ones that came with the stocks worked but I’m kind of picky about things like that so I decided to change them out.  

Well and I thought I was picky! I went down and checked mine, the end plate I had on it does stick up ever so slightly...

But the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure that is not the one that came with the CMT stock. Luckily for this situation, I hadn't tightened down the lock nut or stacked it yet so it was not big deal to remove. I found the end plate that I'm pretty sure came with the kit and checked them out side by side. Height wise, they seem pretty damn close to the same but profile wise, they were different. The one I already had on matched the profile of the receiver a little better. I then put on the one that I believe came with the CMT stock. I noticed that they have a little wiggle room before being tightened down so it's not hard to get it to line up perfectly...

I guess I'm not as picky as I thought because either one would work fine for me and neither caused any kind of interference with the CH.

Sorry about the poor pics but that's what you get last minute!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the pics, they look great! have

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Hold on! Do I see Colt quality there?????????

Can't be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics, they look great!

It may have been a batch of end plates slightly out of spec

I don't know? I will admit the first one I had one (and I don't know who made it because it came with my Vltor kit?) does fit and is profiled a tad bit better but the machining isn't as good? Either way, I still think either one will work just fine. I also have a third one that I have that has a machined in sling loop on it. It is considerably taller than either of the other two but I've use it before and I know it didn't cause any interference problems either.

If yours is really out of spec maybe you can talk to whoever you bought yours from and see if they will replace it?

Originally Posted By Spooge5150

Can't be

What the hell are you talking about?  FYI I tried these same end plates on a RRA (CMT made) and PWA (LMT made) lower with the same results so IF this is a quality issue, it is a CMT, not Colt, quality issue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Spooge5150

Can't be

What the hell are you talking about?   FYI I tried these same end plates on a RRA (CMT made) and PWA (LMT made) lower with the same results so IF this is a quality issue, it is a CMT, not Colt, quality issue.

That was my sarcastic point.

Don't you know me without the 'Card Carrying Member of the Colt Club" words next to my name?

ETA: Everyone loves to knock on Colt for being no better than the other guy. Why pay more for a Colt?

Well there is your answer, in the pics above.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't you know me without the 'Card Carrying Member of the Colt Club" words next to my name?

Well your right, I thought you where one of the "Colt" guys but you got me with that one!

ETA: Everyone loves to knock on Colt for being no better than the other guy. Why pay more for a Colt?

Well there is your answer, in the pics above.

I am not a Colt fanatic or a Colt basher. I'm somewhere in the middle. IMO Colt does some things better, or at least more consistently then others and for some things you are just paying for the name.

You can buy a complete CMT stock kit with "H" buffer from Eagle Firearms for $75. The equivalent "Colt" stock would cost between $150 to $195 on the EE. 99% of the people out there (Mil\LEO included) would never be able to tell the difference. Does the Colt kit have a better machined end plate? For sake of this discussion, let's say it does, but does that make it worth an extra $75-$120. I guess everybody has to make up their own minds on that one but for me, the answer is no.

edited to correct dyslexic moment! :-)
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am not a Colt fanatic or a Colt basher. I'm somewhere in the middle. IMO Colt does some things better, or at least more consistently then others and for some things you are just paying for the name.

You can buy a complete CMT stock kit with "H" buffer from Eagle Firearms for $75. The equivalent "Colt" stock would cost between $150 to $195 on the EE. 99% of the people out there (Mil\LEO included) would never be able to tell the difference. Does the Colt kit have a better machined end plate? For sake of this discussion, let's say it does, but does that make it worth an extra $75-$120. I guess everybody has to make up their own minds on that one but for me, the answer is no.

Mine would be "no" also.  Barrels and bolts...............................maybe.  Buffer tubes and endplates.........................................probably not.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top