Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 4:54:40 AM EST
Just wondering, for those who have attended a tactical carbine class and are familiar with the Bushnell Holosight, if you believe the Bushnell sight would survive a tactical carbine class? I know it's designed to survive the average hunting adventure. I've never attended a carbine class, so I don't know how tough they may be on an optic. Any info/opinions appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:00:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:55:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By KClapp:
Just wondering, for those who have attended a tactical carbine class and are familiar with the Bushnell Holosight, if you believe the Bushnell sight would survive a tactical carbine class?

No, it won't do. It didn't cost enough. Try again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:21:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:45:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:50:24 AM EST
I took a 3 day class last year where a student brought a Bushnell Holosight to the class.

He has some issues zeroing it (adjustments were not consistant) - but it held up the whole class.

But be sure to have BUIS just in case.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:16:15 AM EST
Thanks for the info folks. Just trying to determine if the 52-0021 would meet my requirements or if I need to bump up to the 512.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:41:11 AM EST

Thanks for the info folks. Just trying to determine if the 52-0021 would meet my requirements or if I need to bump up to the 512.

Like Chuck said, carbine courses are excellent places to shake out your gear. Give it a try but be sure to have a good BUIS just in case. At a class in June my BUIS went down! Go figure, huh? Besides getting banged around on your chest rig, you'll probably do a little running with your carbine and probably spend a little time shooting with your carbine laying on it's side in the gravel.

Be sure to write up an after action report!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:04:37 AM EST
Actually, I have the best BUIS avialable. It's an A2 carryhandle upper.

I am currently leaning hard towards the 512. I do not have the option of testing, unfortunately. My budget and situation is such that this purchase will be it for a very long time. That's one of the reasons I am having a difficult time deciding between the Aimpoint and EOTech. I would love to be able to put even a handful of rounds downrange with both optics. But that just ain't gonna happen.

Each of these two optics has it's own pros and cons. I have, in my estimation, studied them to death. In the end, I believe the relative cost difference between the two will be the determining factor for me. The Aimpoint costs more because it requires an additional mount, for my setup, than does the EOTech. If the costs were more equal, I'd go with the Aimpoint for the battery life. But, cost is a very big factor for me.

I definitely appreciate all the info I've gotten here and on Grant's board. I believe I will be making as informed of a decision as possible given my situation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:09:54 AM EST

KC, do you already have the Bushnell? If not, I would say to get the 512. The hood is worth the price difference. If you do have the Bushy, I would just run it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:13:00 AM EST
KClapp - Be sure to check out the thread on Grant's forum...I added something to it about an hour ago that may change your mind.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:16:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By strick909:

KC, do you already have the Bushnell? If not, I would say to get the 512. The hood is worth the price difference. If you do have the Bushy, I would just run it.

Thanks strick! I'm feeling more confident about the 512 choice all the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:57:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By strick909:

Thanks strick! I'm feeling more confident about the 512 choice all the time.

Everytime someone buys an EOTech, an angel gets it's wings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:21:54 PM EST
OK heres a stupid question.. Aside from the relative bump guard, and rubber covered buttons, aint they the same damned sight?? The two companies are in cohoots.. The Holosight came before the Eotech. blah blah blah..

I would have to say if the Holosight can't take a carbine class, the Eotech aint worth a shit either..
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:58:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 7:26:25 PM EST by The_Friendly_Sponge]
Buy the 512, KClapp.

It may be painful to make the initial cash outlay (I think Grant only charged me $307?), but you'll be thanking yourself down the road. Besides, if you decide you can't live with the 512 you've at least made a sound investment and will recoup the majority of your money during a resale. Can you say the same about the Bushnell sight?

One word of warning, though. You'll be wanting the LaRue ECOS-C mount sometime down the road!

I like my 512 so much that I'm probably going to purchase another in the near future and put it on a Remington 870 that I'm rebuilding for defense/3-gun matches.

Edit to add: I just saw your posts over on Grant's forum and think maybe you should consider getting an Aimpoint for that A2 upper.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:19:47 AM EST
Ya. I thought they were the same thing also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:22:28 AM EST
You'll regret it as soon as you pull up 65 MOA worth of confusing shit in front of your face and try to see the target past it....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:19:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
You'll regret it as soon as you pull up 65 MOA worth of confusing shit in front of your face and try to see the target past it....

To each his own, brother, but I think that comment is full of crap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:15:29 AM EST

CJ,

Your comments are usually more intelligent than that. Go get real world experince, or talk to people who have when you consider some of this stuff, your above comment does you a dis-service.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:08:49 AM EST
I have a course I'm going to attend 10/30-31. I have both the Aimpoint and the old holo 1MOA dot. I'll be trying both to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:

CJ,

Your comments are usually more intelligent than that. Go get real world experince, or talk to people who have when you consider some of this stuff, your above comment does you a dis-service.

Sorry to disapoint, but I was equally disappointed when I tried out a holosight. As to quality--its seems relatively tough, and I know they are used on hard recoiling handguns. I still wouldn't drop it, but I wouldn't drop my Aimpoint either. Oh well, if you can make sense of the reticle, go for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:20:24 AM EST
KClapp,
I'm on my second HOLOsight. Zero kept wandering on the first one. I finally sent it back for repair and received a new one at no charge, even though the first was well out of warranty.
Unfortunately, the new one is no better. Its never removed from the rifle and the mounting screw is always tight. However, zero will unexpectedly drift 3-4" @ 50 yds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:40:47 PM EST
I have used one of the original Holosights through two carbine classes without a problem. My only issue is the N-battery models only last about one day per set. The instructors (Gunsite, Pat Rogers), have seen Holosight failures and prefer other sights, but mine worked, as did others in the class. If you have one don't worry about it, but if you are purchasing new, they recommend Aimpoint or compact Trijicon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:53:27 PM EST
Sounds like a job for a tacpoint
Top Top