Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2011 4:45:59 PM EDT
I'm building my first pistol, and I'm ready to order a barrel. I like the velocity that you should get from a 12.5" barrel over the shorter barrels, but I'm not sure if it will be so long that it's not very fun or comfortable to use. It will mostly be for fun at the range. It might end up as an SBR, but not in the near future. Input from anyone that has one or has had one would be great.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are going for a full on pistol, I'd roll with the shortest barrel and lightest configuration you can get.

if the SBR is going to be a sure thing....I'd do the 12.5.

though not an ar, I have a HK 33k clone pistol, and it is friggin huge, not really useable as a pistol. slide the stock on it though, and it shines as an SBR.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you'd lose much more velocity by dropping to a more common 10-10.5" barrel. That should still work well in SBR form down the road.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
In theory, it should result in a firearm long enough to legally use a VFG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
12.5" is what I used for my pistol. I love it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a 12.5"' but my 11.5" is just fine. Next to my 7" KK it looks long, but it's not at all a bad chioce, it shoots very well. Might even be a little quieter   than the 7". I'm waiting on the stamp now to SBR it, but have an 11" that's going back on the lower. You will be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with an 11.5" BCM barrel. I got it put together and shot it last weekend. It is awesome. I can see why people like these things. I could see why the tax stamp to put a stock on it would be worth it too.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
the difference between a 12.5 and 10.5 is roughly 200fps, depending on bullet type, powder type, and how much powder.  some people would say its not worth the extra 200 fps but i guess its depending on how much velocity you can stand to lose vs. how much weight difference you want.  my last build was a 10.5'' pistol, i almost just want another one with a 12.5''.  they both serve their purpose
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Now, excuse me 'cause I'm kind of slow. But wouldn't a 12.5" Upper in pistol config not actually be a pistol but a generic Title 1 Firearm like a pistol grip shotgun? Based on the Franklin Armory XO26?

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Product_Announcment_End_User_Catalog.pdf

Not sure if this figures into your equation- but you could use any fore-end and vertical grip you wanted, BUT you couldn't use it as a CCW... Granted carrying a AR15 Pistol as a CCW might be, unwise.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now, excuse me 'cause I'm kind of slow. But wouldn't a 12.5" Upper in pistol config not actually be a pistol but a generic Title 1 Firearm like a pistol grip shotgun? Based on the Franklin Armory XO26?

Not sure if this figures into your equation- but you could use any fore-end and vertical grip you wanted, BUT you couldn't use it as a CCW... Granted carrying a AR15 Pistol as a CCW might be, unwise.

No, the XO-26 is a firearm instead of a pistol because of the VFG.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that was the deciding factor. Didn't mean to spread incorrect info.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that was the deciding factor. Didn't mean to spread incorrect info.

No worries. A pistol over 26"oal, excluding a removable FS or break, can add a VFG. Doing so takes it out of the pistol classification and it becomes a unclassified firearm, a.k.a., a class 1 firearm. The point to remember however is it is no longer a pistol. Adding a VFG to a pistol under 26"OAL results in the making of (or more correctly converting to) a AOW.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top