Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
A local gunsmith I spoke to commented that no matter what heating a barrel to the point where you can either silver solder or blind pin weld a flash hider damages the barrel. He said this could cause anything from scaling on the inside of the bore to messing with the heat treatment of the metal.

Is he right in claiming that no matter what permanently attaching a FH according to BATF specs will damage the bore? If so how much damage is done and can it be expected that the accuracy or life of the barrel will be affected?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard the same thing, but I have had the process done to number of barrels with out any adverse effect in durability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak for silver soldering but, I can't imagine that pinning and Tig welding the pin in place would transfer enough heat to the barrel to cause any damage. Keep in mind that the barrel is a pretty decent size heat sink.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The preferred way is to install a blind pin; a method that's much safer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The preferred way is to install a blind pin; a method that's much safer.

+1....that's how my Krink mock suppressor was installed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think  TIG or quick zap with a MIG wouldn't do much of anything...
Most of the heat would stay in the FS. The hole isn't that big!

Maybe if some clown tried to do a full circumference weld to the barrel, it'd fry...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
i silver-soldered mine on.  the barrel and FS were glowing cherry red for about 2"  to get it hot enough.  it didn't seem to have any adverse effects on it though.  my groups are great and the finish discoloration isn't even noticeable unless you look really hard.  i did hang the gun so the barrel was pointed down when i heated it to prevent warping.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
When heating a barrel to silver solder the muzzle, the odds are increased for barrel damage to occur...
With the preferred method (pin and weld), if done properly, you stand very little chance of harming the barrel... Also, the pin and weld method is reversible without having to heat the barrel to remove the muzzle device...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have done both types of muzzle device attachments without any adverse effects to the barrel. Both methods have their pro's and con's.

Silver-Solder allows you the ability to remove the muzzle device and reinstall if the need ever arrises to do so. But high amounts of heat is required to do a proper job which will affect the finish of the barrel.

Blind-Pinning uses high heat in a very localized location from a MIG or TIG. If done correctly and quickly very little to no heat should be transferred to the barrel, only the muzzle device will be affected. Some metal finish work will be required to dress the weld. This method will require only the muzzle device to be refinished. The only draw back is future removal will more than likely thrash the muzzle device, as trying to dig the blined pin out is a b*tch.

Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
what about red loctite? anyone ever had BATF or any body else challenge the "permanency" of there FS?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what about red loctite? anyone ever had BATF or any body else challenge the "permanency" of there FS?

If you want to go there, no one here will support you.

Just do it right the first time...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top