BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/1/2005 4:47:01 PM EDT
I know alot of folks are inspired to look at food, water, fuel and other supplies, but. . . .

What about your weapon?  are you re-evaluating your setup?  Go to a lightweight, get a red dot, or what?

I'm thinking sling, 16in LW, loadbearing vest for mags, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, not even a little.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the sling I want, the optic I want , the profile and weight I want...

the only thing that changed for me was maybe considering the disposable plastic bags for backup mags... to keep the ammo dry in case it got splashed or submerged momentarily...

or maybe dry bags...

that was my only thought on the subject
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

My EOTech is waterproof already

So is my ammo

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I might need a little more poggey bait, I should have mentioned that.  

You should be asking people to post pics of their SHTF Katrina Anti-Looting (Zombie slaying)weapons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I forgot all about pooggey bait.  Spent more money on poggey bait than on gear stuff.  I had it easy in the field.  Set up the generator and plug in the coffe machine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My only thought was how the heck I would carry them all  if I had to walk out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought about my SHTF rifle long and hard before I built it, so nope, it ain't changing one bit.

May think about certain techniques for keeping stuff dry.  Have the necessary equipment, but never really thought about how I would apply it.

Also, I may be adding a SHTF cleaning kit to my gear, with LOTS of CLP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Not really changing per se. I will upgrade my 1st gen NV scope to gen III for sure. Definately got to get the form 4 completed. That suppressor has been on the back burner long enough.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ammo.  Lots and lots of ammo.

+1 to that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You should be asking people to post pics of their SHTF Katrina Anti-Looting (Zombie slaying)weapons.

Yes, don't forget the zombies...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than a PVS14 with weapons mount, and a LOT more ammo, no. Not really.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am inspired to get another AR. I sold mine because of financial problems but I am going to build my own now so I can get er done for cheap.  So a AR and more ammo for my XD40/9mm and 870 for now
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know alot of folks are inspired to look at food, water, fuel and other supplies, but. . . .

What about your weapon?  are you re-evaluating your setup?  Go to a lightweight, get a red dot, or what?

I'm thinking sling, 16in LW, loadbearing vest for mags, etc.

My setup would be whatever was close and shoots.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I have always expected my CCW handgun to be a more likely SHTF option, both because I (almost) always have it with me and because it is concealable. Even in a NO-like scenario, getting food/shelter/out-of-town would be a higher priority than engaging in street battles with gang members... for this I prefer a free set of hands and to slide in under the radar.

Having said this, I do (of course) have a midlength AR with Aimpoint and Q3131A, just to make me feel better .
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Not changing a thing.  I got my M4 and 1000rds of ammo, plenty of mags. The Kimber .45, 1000 rds of ammo with plenty of mags. I live on the high ground....easier to defend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
More ammo is about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes yes more ammo. I did a rd count and only had 2500 total.

.223=650
7.62x39=750
.45=300
.9mm=300
.22LR=500
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe some more ammo for me,  too.

I could use a lot more 5.56.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Negative.  I'm set for every realistic situation that could arise in my AOPs short of taking on armor or enemy spaceships.

Other than rotating expendables I'm good to go. Strategy is to lay low & watch how things play out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess everyone is referring to a 5.56mm SHTF weapon.  Me personally, I wouldn't change my primary carry rifle in 5.56 at all.  I would only add a .308, possibly an FN/FAL for some long distance, reach out and touch someone work.
eta: grammar
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow.  A convincingly confident response.  Thanks.

So the next step is, what is your SHTF recommendation?  Those who are so secure, what is your setup?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My SHTF weapon configs won't change, though I have added a few more mags and a box of Surefire batteries to the trunk gun. I've also spent the past couple of night checking mag springs, followers etc for proper function.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm good to go. Got a 16" M4, and a 20" flattop. Have Aimpoints for both. Got tons of ammo. Also have an AK for vehicular targets...

Have decent food and water stocks, fuel is a little lacking.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Add a 12 guage double-barrel "shorty".  Mine looks really bad-assed from the other end and, I don't have to aim.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
nope

my midlength works for me

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
How practical is an AR when you are hoarded into a stadium????

Think deep concealment here.  Be real.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Just a suggestion...practice, practice, practice.  Become a good shot.  The punks in New Orleans were walking around in armour vests that they had stolen.  A head shot solves that problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wouldn't have gone to the stadium.

And to answer Geohans last question, my SHTF rifle would be my mid-length, flattop, w/EOTech 512 and ARMS #40. Right now, though, it only has about 200rds through it, so I'm waiting for its round count to get higher before it's my 100% go-to carbine. As of right now, I have a RRA 20" A4 w/detachable carry handle for HD because of round count and lack of malfunctions. When I get more rounds on the mid-length, it will take over that role.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just a suggestion...practice, practice, practice.  Become a good shot.  The punks in New Orleans were walking around in armour vests that they had stolen.  A head shot solves that problem.

So does a 5.56 to the chest.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Don't go to the stadium...they searched for weapons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess primer and neck sealant on your ammo become a little more critical.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine will stay the same...
I know alot of others that are wondering if they should of went with chrome lined barrels when setting up their AR's... Chrome is handy when your ass is stuck in swamp lands...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 3 things I need to change.
1)Get a good gen3 night vision scope
2)get more rations,canned foods and water tablets
3)Build a .308 sooner than I had planned
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have 3 things I need to change.
1)Get a good gen3 night vision scope
2)get more rations,canned foods and water tablets
3)Build a .308 sooner than I had planned

I don't know your intensions for night vision but I would suggest getting NVG's... Scopes are nice for sniper type rifles but not so good for the combat AR's... Glasses are nice with the Eotech, Aimpoint and C-mores, plus you can be using it without needing to look through your scope... IMO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#36]
While location does not keep me entirely safe from flooding, I think not living below sea-level goes a long way in keeping my rifle out of seawater.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Staying with the same setups.
The only thing I am thinking on now is what I may do to protect my weapons in case of a natural disaster like Katrina.

If in a possible flood area like NO I might consider keeping my weapon sealed in a bag with some desiccant. But I think I am comfortable with what I have.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My SHTF weapon configs won't change, though I have added a few more mags and a box of Surefire batteries to the trunk gun. I've also spent the past couple of night checking mag springs, followers etc for proper function.

Sheeeit!....what do you have to worry about up there in N.H. except the slow but steady influx of Liberal Democrat Zombies from Massoftwoshits contaminating your once Republican landscape?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#39]
More mags and ammo for sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#40]
No changes for me.......just alot more ammo and a good way to carry it!
..............hmmmmmmmm...........maybe there is a good use for a couple Beta mags
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Unfortunately, they aren't seeling guns at the local gun shop down here since it is a time of crisis (Im in Baton Rouge, La).  So, instead of getting a nice ar, i am confined to my springfield 1911.  I guess i will just have to wait till this all blows over.  There is talk about a riot tonight in New Orleans and i am sure it is just a matter of time before one happens up here since there was talk of "civil unrest" in Baton rouge as the chancellor of my college put it (I go to LSU).  Considering the fact that many of the refugees up here that are now being housed on campus are of a lower socio-economic status and the fact that murders, rapes, and shootings have happened elsewhere (Superdome and convetion center) i think i might be carrying my 1911 around on campus for a while.  Anyone know a place to get a nice extendable baton????
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Still use my patrol rifle (16" HBAR carbine A3), 14.5" M4 type (SBR), Rem870, FAL (currently in the shop getting chopped to 18" and threaded for a FS. Also being re-parked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
More ammo.

More practice.

More taking the wifey out to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wow.  A convincingly confident response.  Thanks.

So the next step is, what is your SHTF recommendation?  Those who are so secure, what is your setup?

I like my franken AR Carbine with EOTech 552. It has a RRA mid-length, chrome lined, 5.56, HBAR barrel and all parts are from name brands (mostly Armalite). It shoots great and the only problem it's had was with a bad mag. The mag looked great but would jam at the same place every time. This is why I, same as most of you, check mags before calling them SHTF ready. Only thing else I need will be a rear back-up sight.

If something heavier is needed, I could go with my M1A, BAR 10 or FAL.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Thank you for the responses.  I am thinking Night Vision-- damn, just bought a 512- and lighter weight setups.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#47]
How about the biggest weapons mounted light you can find and a visible aiming laser to deter potential assailants (you can read about LEOs on the 10-8 forum talking about how CTC laser grips are great for "perp control")? I'm assuming most of the folks out with guns and such in a natural disaster were trained by Hollywood cop movies and would respond to the implied threat by backing off. Even with a SHTF rifle, I'd want to be damn sure I had no other choice before pulling the trigger.

ETA: Yeah, I know about giving away your position, losing the advantage of surprise, etc, but again, most of these folks will not have zeroed weapons, will not respond with correct MOUT tactics, and will not successfully engage you if they can't see (weapon light) or they're staring at the big red cherry on their chest. Anyway, I can't imagine just opening up without giving some kind of warning to back off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't have gone to the stadium.

How do you know that?  Lets change the scenario to a NBC  nuclear/biological/chemical attack..

The National Guard mobilizes just like in the movies, seals of the contaminated areas, and herds the folks like sheep to keep the outbreak or contamination contained.  

When you think out the TEOTWAWKI situations, it will never be ideal.  You, most certainly, will be doing what the .gov tells you, or will be a greasy spot.  Why not have more than one plan.  A plan that doesn't revolve around hiding out with 2000 rounds and an AR.  That just doesn't fit many scenarios.  Personal protection that is discrete may be a necessity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
The only thing that's changed for me, personally, is that I'm considering the addition of a trunk gun for my car. Not so applicable to the Katrina disaster, but while my M4gery and 24" AR are great, they're not going to do me any good at home if something goes down while I'm on the road.

So I'm considering a 16" A3 flattop with carry handle in a soft-sided case with 5 mags and some basic cleaning supplies for the trunk of my car. Also, maybe a gallon of water, some energy bars, and a few other basics. I've got a big car and a big trunk, these items would use virtually no space at all and give me options should the SHTF while away from home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted: Personal protection that is discrete may be a necessity.

I fully agree. You need a sidearm anyways, so why not have an alternative plan that involves carrying a concealed pistol only?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top