Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:54:12 AM EDT
I am trying to decide between two BCM uppers right now and the only difference is the barrel contour.  What suggestions do you have for barrel contour, will government profile serve me just fine or should i go with the medium weight profile?  What are the advantages and disadvantages or each?  Also, not related, but i figured i will ask so i don't have to start another thread––How does a BCM upper fit with a Spikes lower, Is it tight or should I go with another lower besides Spikes?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you plan on using the rifle for?

I personally like the gov profile better if I am have to carry the weapon for a long period of time.  The Mid contour is heavier under the handguards.  If you are mostly just shooting from the bench, then the mid weight may be a good fit for you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I personally like the gov profile better if I am have to carry the weapon for a long period of time.  The Mid contour is heavier under the handguards.  If you are mostly just shooting from the bench, then the mid weight may be a good fit for you.

This rifle will take the place of a HD/SHTF gun––red dot sight, sling and flashlight will be put on and thats it.  Expected to use it out to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes there is a difference but it is minimal.

An H bar profile weughs 1 bls more than a light profile on a 16 in barrel.

so expect very little difference between a mid profile and gov profile.

I have never messed with spikes Lowers so I can't say how a bcm would fit but I can say that bcm uppers fit on rra lowers very well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does a BCM upper fit with a Spikes lower, Is it tight or should I go with another lower besides Spikes?

Thanks guys.

I have a 14.5" BCM upper on a spikes lower.  Function & fit is fine by me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This rifle will take the place of a HD/SHTF gun––red dot sight, sling and flashlight will be put on and thats it.  Expected to use it out to 100 yards.

a heavy barrel can help in rapid fire / less jump faster follow ups

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If your talking SOCOM barrel the medium profile on that barrel is gonna eventually replace the lighter M4 profile..is that thye barrel you speak of if so its only 7 ounces more than lighter M4 and 6 ounces less than HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am trying to decide between two BCM uppers right now and the only difference is the barrel contour.  What suggestions do you have for barrel contour, will government profile serve me just fine or should i go with the medium weight profile?  What are the advantages and disadvantages or each?  Also, not related, but i figured i will ask so i don't have to start another thread––How does a BCM upper fit with a Spikes lower, Is it tight or should I go with another lower besides Spikes?

Thanks guys.

The gov't profile is all you need.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If your talking SOCOM barrel the medium profile on that barrel is gonna eventually replace the lighter M4 profile..is that thye barrel you speak of if so its only 7 ounces more than lighter M4 and 6 ounces less than HBAR.

Yes, I am trying to decide between the SOCOM and government profile before I order
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Its all about your preferences. The slimmer profile will save you weight. For the average shooter weight isn't an issue but if your profession calls for you to be armed all the time and your carrying gear every ounce counts. My opinion is the m4 profile is fine. The us military pounds those m4"s with automatic fire and they seem to hold up fine. I do a lot of shooting with full LBE and other gear so I try to cut as much weight as possible without affectinh my potential firepower output. If your going to attach lights and other gear to your rifle then I would really consider the right barrel. I believe that's why piston gas systems in AR's haven't taken off in huge popularity. The weight of those gas systems are huge after you attached a light and rail. Good luck and post some pics of your baby after u get it
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I am trying to decide between the SOCOM and government profile before I order

I just got back a couple hours ago hiking three miles in ninety degrees with my 14.5 RRA SOCOM. Weights not an issue and actually the beefier barrel is more stable for me when hot and fatigued.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The SOCOM is meant to take the heat better than the slimmer barrel will do in FA fire but I have a SOCOM barrel and im getting a BCM SOCOM upper for christmas for carbine #2 all the benefits of a heavier barrel but not as heavy as the HBAR.Eventually the heavier barrel is gonna be M4 standard.I like the little heavier barrel as I was always an HBAR fan before going M4 profile now im happy with the in between med weight SOCOM.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA makes a SOCOM profile? ive never seen it.I have a Colt a CMMG and the BCM will be my 3rd but ive never seen the RRA anyone have pics?I have OPS 416 drop in pistons on 3 of 4 carbines it maybe weighs twice as much as a tube and I dont use a rail system just a flat top.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Oops, double tap.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't owned it very long but I love my 14.5" SOCOM profile BCM upper. It feels very light and flickable with a KAC RIS and VFG. Will be adding a light and possibly an Aimpoint Micro soon. Those will add a little bit of weight but I doubt it will make the gun feel super heavy. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and it fits my Spike's lower like a glove. Very tight fit. Not that it matters for function but it's a nice perk. Color match was slightly off but more than good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I only use an Aimpoint and a BUIS and use a mount in the M203 cut for a light so without a rail system its still plenty light..were talking a 7oz difference from M4 light to SOCOM..thats not even half a pound..the weight increase is neglidgeable and the benefit outweighs the increase.I like having a higher rate of fire with a heavier barrel.Sustained RPM for a govt barrel is what 15-20 rounds per minute the SOCOM 30 RPM thats pretty fast in semi auto.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RRA makes a SOCOM profile? ive never seen it.I have a Colt a CMMG and the BCM will be my 3rd but ive never seen the RRA anyone have pics?I have OPS 416 drop in pistons on 3 of 4 carbines it maybe weighs twice as much as a tube and I dont use a rail system just a flat top.

Actually, RRA makes a 16" Hbar. ADCO makes a 14.5 SOCOM from them The BCM box was just used to ship it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Some
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got back a couple hours ago hiking three miles in ninety degrees with my 14.5 RRA SOCOM. Weights not an issue and actually the beefier barrel is more stable for me when hot and fatigued.

Mobility is a huge concern for specific situations. 3 mile hike may be fine with the weapon system you have but if your a soldier carry a 90 pound pack and any other equipment weight is a real concern. Ounces add up quick and if you can cut ounces here and there it saves pounds. Every manufacturer of gear and firearms look at weight, its part of mobility vs firepower
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mobility is a huge concern for specific situations. 3 mile hike may be fine with the weapon system you have but if your a soldier carry a 90 pound pack and any other equipment weight is a real concern. Ounces add up quick and if you can cut ounces here and there it saves pounds. Every manufacturer of gear and firearms look at weight, its part of mobility vs firepower

Do you think the OP will be humping 90lbs. of gear plus other equipment or even hiking 3-4 miles on a piece of property?

eta- Bulk and clutter is what makes a safequeen for me. I was so glad I had my SOCOM beater KISS today rather than my Gov. profile BCM with RD and light as I was picking my way through thick cedars and hiking through waist high dove weeds.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think the OP will be humping 90lbs. of gear plus other equipment or even hiking 3-4 miles on a piece of property?

Probably not. That's why I said the average shooter doesn't even care about weight. But don't ignore the fact that 7ounces is nothing. 7 ounces may not matter to me or you but it is a major concern for people in certain professions. If you could shave 1 ounce off everything you carry on you ikt adds up quick. Depending on your profession and what you carry ounces matter.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Unless you're attaching the upper to a FA lower, the SOCOM barrel will likely not provide you with any advantage except extra weight and "SOCOM" in the title.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Actually, RRA makes a 16" Hbar. ADCO makes a 14.5 SOCOM from them

That's definitely not the SOCOM barrel profile.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Gvmt is fine.

Odds are you will have a bit of play with the Spikes Lower, the tightest fit has been on a Rock River lower, followed by a Stag lower.  An Accuwedge eliminates the click.  Accuracy is the same with or without the Accuwedge.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
My gripe with the heavier profiles is not just the weight but where it is.  A  now departed and unlamented HBar always felt so muzzle heavy and unbalanced that it wasn't fun to shoot.  Heavier profile plus a gadget or two out front makes the situation worse.
Go with Gummint Profile...actually, I prefer a pencil.
Moon
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll second that. First upper I got was a RRA 16" HBAR, i wanted a lighter profile but this was all I could get my hands on. But never was 100% happy with it, finally ordered a BCM 14.5 lightweight midlength, it's light as a feather, much better balanced. My RRA felt too nose heavy, like my black powder rifle,  and I ultimately just added a 13"quad rail, scope & bipod and made it a bench queen. But the BCM is easy to grab by the magwell, and this is going to be a bare bones KISS rifle, no lights, no lasers, iron sights only. I know a lot of people argue that heavy barrels handle rapid fire better but I know which one is more fun to point...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
If all else is equal, then yes, the heavier profile will be more accurate. Whether you need that extra bit of accuracy is for you to decide. Anyone who says there is no difference in accuracy is full of crap. You will notice the biggest difference when starting from a cold bore. With a heavier barrel, you will normally have less shift as the barrel warms up from cold bore.

Personally, I don't like light barrels on anything. I'd rather have a medium profile for a rifle that's carried a lot, and a heavy profile for a bench or varmint rifle. Carlos Hathcock said it best: "Light barrels... heck, after three shots, those bullets will go everywhere that you DO NOT want them to go! You will never, ever qualify on MY course with a light-barreled rifle. We recommend only the best equipment for the job." He was talking about sniper rifles, of course, but it's the same principle with any rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top