Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:00:47 PM EDT
Two opposing stories coming out of the SHOT Show.  Chen says "Yes".  MP5MachinenPistole says "No".  Both guys talk directly to Colt reps manning the booth.  What's the truth?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know MP5, but I wouldn't hesitate to trust Chen's word.

It is a semi auto LE carbine, so I highly doubt Colt would go to the trouble of regulating it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they will.  According to Chen, Ken Elmore indicated he'd be selling them.  With FN and Sig offering EBRs to the civilian shooting public, it would be business suicide for Colt not to offer their new products also.  Not to say Colt hasn't committed business suicide in the past, only that it seems unlikely that they'd do it now with two other respected manufacturers stepping up to the plate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If LEO's can get it, so can you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The important question....Would you want one even if they did sell it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'd want one, maybe two...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The important question....Would you want one even if they did sell it?

Yes.  Just to round out my working reference collection
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I spoke with a few Colt folks, not Ken, and they suggested the gas piston rifle would be sold only through COLT LE/Mil  dealers.  However, those dealers would not be restricted in selling to the civilian marketplace. ("Who they sell it to is up to them")  That's how I heard and understood it.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It does not matter to me.  I don't have the money, and my ARs are not broken.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I spoke with a few Colt folks, not Ken, and they suggested the gas piston rifle would be sold only through COLT LE/Mil  dealers.  However, those dealers would not be restricted in selling to the civilian marketplace. ("Who they sell it to is up to them")  That's how I heard and understood it.  

Like the situation with Winchester Ranger ammo?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Except I have the money but would rather spend it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like the situation with Winchester Ranger ammo?

YUP
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Not looking for a flame war (I'm an AR guy), but the Sig 556 looks very, very interesting.  SBR that thing and add a can, that thing should ROCK
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not looking for a flame war (I'm an AR guy), but the Sig 556 looks very, very interesting.  SBR that thing and add a can, that thing should ROCK

Going in to Shot, I was jacked up about it, too.   In the end, I was not impressed.  I thought it had a cheap look and feel to it, not something I would normally feel about Sig weapons.   The rail version was a bit better.  I'm still looking forward to shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope they do sell it, but I won't be buying one.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
You will be able to buy it from the same places you can buy Colt LE rifles now.

SAW, Clyde Armory, etc.

I'm getting one. Hopefully 11.5".
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
They'll probably be sold to LE dealers with the lienient demand that they only be sold to LEOs.

Just like Remington LE stuff, and we all know that anyone can get an 11/87 or 870 Police gun from just about any dealer.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If Ken says he will be selling them, then they will be selling them.  I've got no reason to doubt Chen, and Ken has a better grasp on Colt than anyone else I can think of.

+1

Ken Is Colt, no matter how you look it it at the end of the day
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt doesnt have a reason not to sell to civilians, and it is better to secure the piston standard now while HK is not committing to civilian sales

LW and POF are really too small to compete, which is sad to say, but very true, and I am a fan of POF products

Colt needs to secure its position now. At first I thought I would prefer the 416 but after SHOT I am on Colt's side.

Then again I might skip the AR15 piston wars and choose the SIG 556 instead
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Another Colt rep at the SHOT told me YES and they will offer these one-piece uppers to the commercial market.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I am positive they will

I have contacted two big time distributors/dealers (Specialized Armament being one) and both say YES

But as others have offered, they will be a while before any are shipped to those guys, and longer yet to get to the names on the list

trouble with that is that other manufacturers are busting their ass to get new product out and the field will be very competitive for your gun-dollars
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 except I would love to have one and if I came into some money, would probably buy one. If for no other reason then Colt's position in the market, I think their piston design has the best chance of becoming the standard assuming they get it right.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I still think the best piston designs will be like POF's and be easy to take out and clean without removing your rail handguards. So Colt, along with POF, gets a point from me in this category.

I also really, really like the idea of an integral carrier key, so that the piston rod doesn't shear it off as easily. AFAIK, only the invisible ARES piston product has this.

But here's my real question: We all have some idea in our minds that a piston system must be "better" than the standard DI system. Now, what does Colt have to do to make you think their piston system is "better" than the competition?

Is it simply a matter of MRBF in standard military torture tests, or what?

John
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Colt will sell it to their distributors wioth the stipulation that they be sold to LE only... then pretend not to notice that civilians are buying them.  This is the truth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#26]
The best piston systems will not require cleaning of the piston components at all.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#27]
While I drink my fair share of teh Colt Koolaid, in this instance I think I'd prefer the FN ARM.  This time around, FN is the one who had the benefit of Uncle Sugar's R&D programs.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have any idea as to just how much these new uppers are going to cost?  Possibly as much as a complete AR at first, then drop down?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Well if COLT dont sell it and HK dont sell theirs, then S&W will sell one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I take it that that is for the entire rifle, not just the upper?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top