Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/16/2009 8:40:05 AM EST
Quick question...
When I clean my AR, I like to coat the outside of the barrel with a rust inhibitor (it's stainless) just for added protection. I then turn the gun muzzle-down and let the excess CLP drip off. Lately, I've noticed the CLP has gotten on my rail. The rail markings seem to be slightly faded, but I don't have another gun to compare it against to see if the CLP has hurt/removed/lightened the markings at all.

Does anyone else know if CLP will remove markings/branding from a rail?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:09:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Skyyr:
Quick question...
When I clean my AR, I like to coat the outside of the barrel with a rust inhibitor (it's stainless) just for added protection. I then turn the gun muzzle-down and let the excess CLP drip off. Lately, I've noticed the CLP has gotten on my rail. The rail markings seem to be slightly faded, but I don't have another gun to compare it against to see if the CLP has hurt/removed/lightened the markings at all.

Does anyone else know if CLP will remove markings/branding from a rail?

depending on the mfr it may fade the markings some, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:20:12 AM EST
It's an oil so I would guess it would loosen the paint on the rails eventually.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:57:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:34:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By GreenM4Guy:
Dont worry about it. But no i have never seen the markings come off (unless its a cheap rail, and its just painted not laser etched.)

So laser-etching IS permanent and cannot be removed, aside from actually sanding down the anodizing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:54:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:36:05 PM EST
I have noticed this also. But I have found that once the CLP, oil evaporates after some time the numbers will brighten.
Top Top