Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:40:05 AM EDT
Quick question...
When I clean my AR, I like to coat the outside of the barrel with a rust inhibitor (it's stainless) just for added protection. I then turn the gun muzzle-down and let the excess CLP drip off. Lately, I've noticed the CLP has gotten on my rail. The rail markings seem to be slightly faded, but I don't have another gun to compare it against to see if the CLP has hurt/removed/lightened the markings at all.

Does anyone else know if CLP will remove markings/branding from a rail?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quick question...
When I clean my AR, I like to coat the outside of the barrel with a rust inhibitor (it's stainless) just for added protection. I then turn the gun muzzle-down and let the excess CLP drip off. Lately, I've noticed the CLP has gotten on my rail. The rail markings seem to be slightly faded, but I don't have another gun to compare it against to see if the CLP has hurt/removed/lightened the markings at all.

Does anyone else know if CLP will remove markings/branding from a rail?

depending on the mfr it may fade the markings some, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an oil so I would guess it would loosen the paint on the rails eventually.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dont worry about it. But no i have never seen the markings come off (unless its a cheap rail, and its just painted not laser etched.)

So laser-etching IS permanent and cannot be removed, aside from actually sanding down the anodizing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have noticed this also. But I have found that once the CLP, oil evaporates after some time the numbers will brighten.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top