Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/14/2013 8:18:18 AM EDT
... a muzzle device to a 14.5 barrel, when a 16" makes more sense? Just curious. If you do this what are pros compared to the cons? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Are bayonets really an issue?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to be able to use a bayonet it is.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would anyone want to do this?

Maybe they are working on their machine shop skills?

Better question is, why would anyone give a shit if other people did this?  Riddle me that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are bayonets really an issue?
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Being from NJ it is the only rational choice.  I have to pin it anyway, so I might as well have it on a 14.5".
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Also allows you to have the shortest barrel/FH length possible without a stamp.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Shortest possible length without a stamp.

Clones.

Because they like to throw away money. (I just got two 14.5s back from the shop)

I once wondered the same thing until I got my first one done, I ended up liking it the best. It has a little better balance IMO
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Better question is, why would anyone give a shit if other people did this?  Riddle me that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't pinning and welding keep some from doing this? Is it not a bitch if you want to change out a rail?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Doesn't pinning and welding keep some from doing this? Is it not a bitch if you want to change out a rail?
View Quote

Buy a new upper or additional AR.

Do you even commitment bro?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm just trying to understand what y'all are thinking. I'm asking because I want to know why some of you choose to do this. I'm not trying to be a dick or criticize.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really these days with rails that use the factory barrel nuts.

I went with one because a 16" wouldn't fit in my ammo can.

PS this can is not buried in my BOL stuffed with MREs and ammo..  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The price you pay for living in a commie state.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me start over. I am asking because I am curious if a removable low- profile gas block system would be of any interest???
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm just trying to understand what y'all are thinking. I'm asking because I want to know why some of you choose to do this. I'm not trying to be a dick or criticize.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the most basic level, it's how you want to spend your money on your AR.

Years ago, some pompus asshat chastised people here saying things like barrel swaps were "depot level maintenance" and that these things "are not legos".

Well, I'm here to tell you.  After over 10 years of AR ownership, countless combinations including NFA/SBR/Supressors and attending an Armorer class, these things are indeed lego's.

Hard to break, harder to induce a catastrophic failure.  Have at it and have fun.  THAT is the name of the game.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#17]
because it looks better...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Have one of these pinned and you can swap on and off any gas block or barrel nut you need.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have one of these pinned and you can swap on and off any gas block or barrel nut you need.
View Quote

This.  I haven't used one of those yet, but I think they are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#21]
It always seemed like a big PITA to me, too, but a hell of a lot of people do it, so it must work for them.

Me? I "settle" for 16" and I'm perfectly happy with the decision. Easier to swap stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if you have a lightweight barrel?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The outside diameter looks similar to an A2 flash hider.  On a standard barrel (there is no "lightweight"), they have a larger OD than the barrel does.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The outside diameter looks similar to an A2 flash hider.  On a standard barrel (there is no "lightweight"), they have a larger OD than the barrel does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you get a .625 over it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let me start over. I am asking because I am curious if a removable low- profile gas block system would be of any interest???
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The run a stock barrel nut and a low profile of your choice and pin it.  Then you have the option of switching between several different makers of handguards that use the stock barrel nut.

otherwise figure out what you want and stick with it.

I have a 14.5" pinned that used a stock barrel nut (the one pictured above).  I shaved the front sight and have a Samson Evo rail on it.  I like the set up.

If I wanted something different I could go with a Troy, Rainier Evo, Fortis, Centurion, MI, ect..........

If you are a gear-queer (nothing wrong with that BTW) then stick with a 16" and swap out stuff as much as you want.  Personally I wouldl go with a pinned 14.5" and then just buy another rifle to reconfigure as much as I like.  I actually did that at one point.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it would.  New stuff is always good.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A .625 what?  Gas block?  If the flash hider is pinned, you won't unless you grind the weld and pull the pin.

The majority of people simply do not deal with the issue.  Those that do accept the opportunity cost.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Because I a can
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/can2.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/can3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could accomplish the same thing, in a shorter box, by using the takedown pins.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes a 2 piece low profile gas block would be good. A gas block low enough profile to fit a barrel nut over would be good to. Do not know if it's possible though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You could accomplish the same thing, in a shorter box, by using the takedown pins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pffffft pushin pins...... nobody ain't got time for dat!  Also, that would mean less ammo and MRE storage.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to be assembling a 14.7" lightweight middy with pinned A2. I want to have the shortest barrel I can without a stamp. Also, a pinned muzzle device will help keep this one from turning into what my last middy did
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I am no purist, but middy's always look "wrong " and "just right" to me.

I think my opinion is skewed because they were a solution in search of a problem.

But the have some aesthetic appeal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Frankly, there's no real benefits to a 16" 556 over a 14.5" 556. The 16" pretty much just exists for NFA purposes.

The 14.5" handles better for me, and just looks and feels right. I had long gotten rid of every 16" 556 I owned, and never expected to own another due to my preference for 14.5s. I did add a 16" back to the collection over the summer, a KAC Mod 1, but that was purely because of my KAC addiction, and I just had to have one of every model. I still ponder chopping it down to 14.5 at least a few times a week though.

And I'll never regret a pinned muzzle device because I have 3 AAC cans pending, and I'd never not want an AAC mount on my rifles. So that possible issue will never even come into play for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would have a 14.5" even with a stamp. For how I use my rifle it represents the best trade off in velocity, reliability, length and weight.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I would have a 14.5" even with a stamp. For how I use my rifle it represents the best trade off in velocity, reliability, length and weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. As would I.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

the fact that hardly anyone caught this detail and still proceeded to post why they liked 14.5 over 16"  
This would be great, but I think there are some like this out iin the market?  If you have a prototype to show or a working model, can you post pics of it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

the fact that hardly anyone caught this detail and still proceeded to post why they liked 14.5 over 16"  
This would be great, but I think there are some like this out iin the market?  If you have a prototype to show or a working model, can you post pics of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

people don't really care why he's asking. They want to discuss the topic that he originally brought up.

It's just a choice and a relatively inconsequential one at that. a few ounces, an inch+ in length, a few extra FPS muzzle velocity, a few dollars for the work, not sure why this gets brought up so much and actually debated. A lot of us have an affinity for short barrels (for whatever reason).  That being said, when it comes to feel/handling, I'll be willing to bet anyone they can't tell them apart, I'll give you 1 to 10 odds.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

people don't really care why he's asking. They want to discuss the topic that he originally brought up.

It's just a choice and a relatively inconsequential one at that. a few ounces, an inch+ in length, a few extra FPS muzzle velocity, a few dollars for the work, not sure why this gets brought up so much and actually debated. A lot of us have an affinity for short barrels (for whatever reason).  That being said, when it comes to feel/handling, I'll be willing to bet anyone they can't tell them apart, I'll give you 1 to 10 odds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But perception IS reality.

It's not how the weapon handles, it's how the shooter thinks it handles.

In other words... there is no spoon
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If all you really wanted was information, and not to stir things up, you might have read the dozens of previous threads that have addressed this question.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If all you really wanted was information, and not to stir things up, you might have read the dozens of previous threads that have addressed this question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wasn't trying to stir things up. I was just trying to get the attention of the the folks that pin and weld. My go to rifle is a 14.5 middy with a pinned BC 1.5. I have also been a resident of NJ for the last 2 years.  In NJ, even if your semi-auto barrel was 20 feet long, you would still need to pin and weld. Its a total PITA to change rail systems. Yes I know there are numerous rail systems utilizing a mil-spec barrel nuts and that's good. However there some very good systems that do not. I'm merely trying to find out, in other states, if there may be interest of a GB that is removable? I have a design that I am bringing to fruition. It's steel, low profile, pinnable and It looks good. I will be unveiling it soon and will be looking for a few honest men or women to put it to the test.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really wasn't trying to stir things up. I was just trying to get the attention of the the folks that pin and weld. My go to rifle is a 14.5 middy with a pinned BC 1.5. I have also been a resident of NJ for the last 2 years.  In NJ, even if your semi-auto barrel was 20 feet long, you would still need to pin and weld. Its a total PITA to change rail systems. Yes I know there are numerous rail systems utilizing a mil-spec barrel nuts and that's good. However there some very good systems that do not. I'm merely trying to find out, in other states, if there may be interest of a GB that is removable? I have a design that I am bringing to fruition. It's steel, low profile, pinnable and It looks good. I will be unveiling it soon and will be looking for a few honest men or women to put it to the test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you've done your homework, but is this pinnable block held together by screws?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I very much prefer the 14.5 set up over the 16" and since I don't have any stamps pin and weld is my only option for my preferred set up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm sure you've done your homework, but is this pinnable block held together by screws?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#48]
OP have you built a prototype yet? Any pics?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This answers a question, I have never seen an ammo can this size! What are the specs on that, and what would it hold (round and amount please)? That is an awesome setup!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Several have stated the 14.5" is the way to get the shortest possible barrel without SBR. That is baloney. The barrel has to be 16" whether you add a 5" barrel extension to an 11" barrel or whether you add an A2 FH extension to a shortened 16" barrel or an extended A2 FH extension to a 14.5 barrel. They all have to be at least 16" (usually about 16.15" just to be on the safe side).  My preference is to start with a 16" barrel and have it cut back so the standard A2 FH makes it come out to 16" total, actual length to muzzle about 14.9" to 14.7" depending on the actual length of the threaded section. In this case it's not the muzzle that matters - the critical feature is the shoulder behind the threads. That location has to calculated based on the length of the muzzle attachment including the crush washer. I prefer the standard A2 to an extended one, and the extra 0.2" to 0.4" on the barrel doesn't jump out at you.
Okay, so the man wants to know why would I do that. Well, a 16" barrel with carbine gas looks stupid. You get that little mod done and you go from a 17.5" barrel w/FH down to a 16", which puts the barrel more in harmony with the handguard. In my case it was an HBAR, so a nice hunk of steel came off the end of the barrel. If you take a little weight and length off the end of a barrel, the quicker handling and better 'feel' you get is all out of proportion to the small amount of material removed. This is simply physics. You lighten the end of that lever and you'll get far more benefit than you would if you took the same amount of weight off on the shoulder end.
I have another 16" but it's a middy, so there will be no shortening - doesn't need it for looks and since it's my scoped AR, I want to keep that little extra 25 FPS or whatever you get with a 16". Plus, the bayonet fits it perfectly :) And, on the shortened carbine, now the bayonet fits that one perfectly too. But I only have one bayonet! But it's an M9, so it makes up for it. :)
I hope this helps explain why we keep ADCO in business chopping barrels and pinning/welding extensions. I'd like to have an SBR, but I just don't want the hassle. This is a good compromise. But, it is true that you should settle on the configuration you want before permanently attaching a barrel extension if it's a larger diameter than the barrel. But, you could cut a sight base off easily enough and use a clamp-on gas block, so maybe it isn't so permanent after all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top